Purchasing in Europe. Lost in pricing.

My mom needs some hearing aid and we’ve been looking around in europe but I’ve found almost exactly two prices everywhere I look.

We were going to try the Phonak P90 since she really values conversations and that one seems to work really well in that regard.

The “regular” price for both are around 4500€ for both in most stores we find in Spain. However, we’re finding some online only services for around 2500€ (for example wholesalehearing, though we can’t use that one as import taxes will probably kill any saving it gives).

Is there anything we’re missing from such savings (like missing accessories) or is the industry in such a state that people are willing to mark up the price so much?

Costco would have been an awesome option as we have one in Spain, but alas, we’re too late…

1 Like

The “regular” price likely includes years of follow up visits that are usually needed.

It’s the state of the industry I’m afraid, you have to shop around to get the best deals, Costco does a pretty good jod at this, only premium models sold, I’m not sure what you mean your to late for it tho?

Don’t get sucked into “services” bundled in, it’s definitely not worth an extra 2-2.5K ! They may make some adjustments over time, fit some new domes, then tell you how well your doing…but you can do things like this yourself.

3 Likes

I am in Spain (Costa Blanca) and did a deal locally for Phonak P90’s for 3500 euros. Other places wanted up to 5000 euros. Probably the easiest route is to visit Boots Hearing aid location in the UK. Their web site lists [Phonak Paradise Fit 90] for 3495 pounds (Phonak Paradise Fit | Boots Hearingcare)

1 Like

This seller is in the EU (Cyprus) and offers a similar service and price to wholesalehearing, I have not dealt with them though:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/hearmore4less

Just a word of caution when buying online. If you can find an Audiologist who is willing to service the HA for a fee, then pls go ahead to buy online.

You must understand which HA is right for your mom’s hearing loss. You can ask the experts in this forum.

1 Like

@user11
You will have to know some details of your mothers hearing status as already suggested. Those are not toys.
If you are looking for pricing in the EU this one is a good possibility with lowest price guarantee for €3098 https://onlinehoortoestel.nl/phonak-audeo-p90-312/

They can do online programming of your devices, but you need an audiogram for the first setting. And you can ask them for help by e-mail or whatever.
But you could also ask them for online advice if you have an audiogram.
They have a chat program on their website.

1 Like

My friend bought her Dad over from Pakistan to order Aids from Boots.

Apparently much cheaper than buying Aids in Pakistan.

I realise the OP is not in Pakistan.

If you are located in Spain , you can also shop and order via MYSECONDEAR.de without import taxes, because Spain and Germany are inside EU. MYSECONDEAR will ship to Spain and provide also remote fitting sessions. And you have 30 days trial. You can contact them for help by e-mail.

Obviously they cannot perform the recommended Real Ear Measurement remotely. REM compares the sounds you hear, taking into account your ear canal shape, with what is expected to be needed based on your audiogram.

I’d like to see the results of a ‘remote’ test too……

I’m not saying you can’t do it, but the confidence of the accuracy of online prescribing must be awful.

How do you show people to change their wax traps etc?

1 Like

Probably direct them to videos.

Not great; especially for the Ceru-shield as people seem to struggle with the dispenser.

1 Like

@Um_bongo: … designed by the engineers at the I.P.E.A., no doubt.

Dilbert

Especially the ‘Hodgepodge’ one.

2 Likes

@Um_bongo: :joy: Thanks for the link, Stephen!

(I.P.E.A. = Institute for the Perpetual Employment of Audiologists, BTW)

1 Like