Purchase New Aids vs keep my Resound Linx2 BTE

I purchased top of the line Resound Linx2 RIC aides around 5 years ago. These were my first hearing aids and my audiologist did not suggest that I try and compare any other brands

Would a different brand and or improvements in hearing aids over the past five years likely provide for a noticeable improvement in my hearing?

1 Like

Ideally, you should add your audiogram to your profile and write down your word recognition score in quiet and noise.

And how that WRS is with aids compared with that testing headphones.

If you don’t have any of it, then, how is your understanding of speech on tv, do you use some tv connector device to directly stream to your aids, how is understanding then?

To me, direct streaming from source to aids, tv, phone and also using additional mic that streams into my aids was a game changer for me. But if someone told me earlier that those devices exist for my old HA I might be happier back then also.

But in general, if HAs are setup properly, I doubt you’ll get any difference in quiet with both old and new ones. Features comes into the game with more complex environments. So, what are environments you need them for, is the first thing you need to get the answers.

Also, understanding happens in brain, hearing in ears, and if your ears/nerves are damaged, there’s only so much HA can do anyway.

But, first share whatever you know about your hearing loss and numbers you have from your exams, and what are the issues you’d like to solve.

And don’t forget, you don’t have to commit to buy in order to test the HAs :wink:
But having those answers will definitely help you more in looking what makes sense to test.

Thanks for the reply Blacky! I have requested but not yet received my audiogram. As I recall, my hearing is normal until 4hz and above. At 4hz and beyond, I have a drop off of 20 to 30 DB in my right ear, and 30 to 40 DB in my left ear. What word recognition test would you suggest?

I am able to understand speech on TV fairly well with my hearing aids in. Of course, the news is easier than a movie where the dialogue is mixed with background noise. I don’t have any direct connection to the TV.

I would like to improve my ability to hear in noisy situations. When my wife talks to me with the TV on, I have difficulty understanding her. When the house is quiet and she speaks to me from another room, I have difficulty hearing her. Hearing people in my car and in restaurants can be challenging. I am a substitute teacher so hearing so a setting that would work well in a noisy classroom would be helpful.

I am rarely on the phone. Streaming music and phone calls is not important to me.

A hearing aid that automatically switches programs based on the detected environment would be nice. I am not fond of manually making changes. I read on some audiology site that Phonak and Unitron have the ability to automatically switch programs.

For the Resound Aids I have, they offer All Around, Restaurant, and Outdoors. The restaurant setting does suppress some background noise but the other settings don’t seem to do that much.

That wrs test is something your audi/fitter do at the same time as audiogram. Since the results of that test give some estimate what to expect from HAs.

See, you know what would you like to have. Then you go, test and see if they fulfil the wishes. If they do, then you’d get a noticeable improvement.

I don’t know who else has automatic switching like phonak / unitron. Maybe hansaton since it’s the same family of companies?

Newest resound still has those 3 you mentioned, plus they look like they do have some automatic noise cancelling depending on the environment and I think someone mentioned that in the app they could even switch to some program based on geolocation. Check the topic about them under press releases.

Oticon pushes ‘we let everything in, let your brain work it out’ so I’d assume no auto program switching either.

Don’t know what others do, but you can check in press releases subforum to see what the latest one have.

1 Like

I’m in the same position as you so I’ll be interested in your results. Due to insurance coverage, I won’t be replacing my HAs for another year. Thanks in advance if you share your opinions after replacing your HAs.

Have you had your hearing tested lately (within a year)? If it’s still as you have described, your loss is fairly mild and I doubt you’re going to notice a dramatic improvement with new hearing aids. Pretty sure your aids do at least some automatic switching among programs.

My last hearing test was maybe 3 years ago. The ReSound App allows me to make automatic changes in programs if I save a program setting to a specific location such as my home or a restaurant. Next week I am going to visit an audiologist and try out a few of the newest models to determine if I notice any real improvement. I will also get an updated hearing test and have my existing ReSound aids adjusted as required.

1 Like

I will share for sure! Your audiogram is similar to mine.

I found this article very helpful…especially the Multi-Base Automatic Switching section.

3 Likes

This might have you thinking you have new aids. Especially if REM is done with your old aids. That will also prove if your old aids are performing as they should.

1 Like

It’s so detailed, thanks for sharing, I’m reading it through and opening all connecting links :rofl:
It gave me answer - that only phonak and unitron have automatic switching of fully adjustable programs. I definitely like that thing, not just like, I had to change gains per frequencies to make it work for different programs otherwise it was just too distorted and useless eg streaming, I had to reduce a bunch of bass which phonak puts as a default since people usually want more bass :smiley:

from here

also

By using two distinct microphones, a hearing aid can zoom into the speech in front of you, while reducing the speech noise next to and behind you. This is one of the only proven ways to improve speech hearing in noise, but it has a limitation.
As the hearing aid zooms forward, the pick up distance of the microphones in front of you reduce. The more “zooming” takes place, the shorter the distance. The directional microphones with the most forward focus, has a limit of around 1.5 metre pickup in front of you.