Psoriasis and BTE HA's

Hi there,

i’ve had mid-low tone conductive deafness since I was three and worn HAs since I was 5. For the last 30 years I’ve been getting along just fine with my HAs and everything has been great. About a three years ago I developed psoriasis and about a year ago it spread to my ears. Now thankfully I am not covered in it, but the P in my ears is having a massive (negative) effect on my life. The skin becomes so inflamed I cannot wear my HAs and hearing is severely affected. It’s impacting on my ability to communicate properly at work, but mostly the pain drives me crazy.

My dermo has prescribed me Trimovate and Eumovate, which initially helped, but since my audio changed me from molds to domes, it has disagreed with my P and I can only wear them once at week at language class if im lucky. I also have Otosporin for when it gets really bad, but im not wanting to become reliant on that - plus im not happy about constantly using gentamicin. Spoke to my ENT on monday and he’s all about surgery. I just want my P controlled or cleared up and i can happily go back to “normal” with my HAs. He did speak about BAHA, however for various reasons im not jumping at the option of surgery at this time.

So basically I have a couple of questions. Does anyone else have issues with HAs and psoriasis in the ear? If so, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated for trying to treat it/calm it down. Also, does anyone have experience with the Bone conduction glasses? They could be a possible solution in the short term to allow me to hear and also let my ears heal!

I have both HAs and the big P.

While I don’t have it in my ears and I know this is a hearing aid forum (not a psoriasis forum), have you considered Enbrel?

It is expensive but it completely cleared up my P!

PM me if you would like to further explore my experience with Enbrel.

Tommy

Sounds more like the Psoriasis doesn’t get along well with the silicone, go back to acrylic vented canal moulds to resolve it, you don’t have to wear domes.

I’d also be swabbing the moulds with alcohol when I took them out: re-introduction of dead skin cells and waste matter is going to be a complete no-no.

this was my suggestion as well.

Yes thankfully I am supposed to be getting fitted for new ones a week on Friday. I really hope that helps. I hated the domes immediately, but the audio insisted!! I’ve also been swabbing them constantly. Will be happy to get back to moulds and hopefully that’ll work!

If it doesn’t, i’m hoping to find out about the bone conduction HA glasses…

I believe there is a user here whose wife needed to get gold plated moulds due to allergic reactions.