Programs for Oticon Opn

I only use the Oticon ON app for Android as a remote control for my OPNs, to adjust volume and select programs. I don’t use it for IFTTT. The ON app basically makes a Bluetooth connection with your OPNs to allow you to control volume and programs from your smart phones, that’s all. Usually if you’re not wearing a headset or holding a handset over your ear for a phone call, it’s easy to just manually adjust the volume or change programs on the HAs’ buttons. But if those buttons are not easily accessible because you’re wearing a headset, then a remote volume and program control from your smart phone is a nice option.

Having and using the Oticon ON app on your Android phone doesn’t automatically enable IFTTT on your OPNs. To use IFTTT, you’ll need to create an online account with the IFTTT service and all that. It’s not plug and play.

LOL! I have to chime in here cuz I know of only ONE experience in which the rechargeable batt didn’t work out: it was a trip overseas. One of the gals in our group wore aids with rechargeable batts. Somehow (probably “operator error”) she didn’t get a chance to recharge them from the time we left the hotel at 11:30am in Tokyo onwards. We landed at Vancouver BC, and she yelled: “Don’t ANYONE talk to me. My batts have discharged!” That convinced me that for travel at least, I’d definitely take a pair of aids with batts I can change out if one goes dead. I’m never without a spare pair (ditto spare aids on trips only), cuz I truly have zero margin for error if the batts die and I don’t have a backup.

Yeah, I can see me trying to “talk” my way back into the U.S. at the Canadian border - U.S. has a station right there at Vancouver airport! The U.S. Customs guy I got was the surliest piece o’work I’ve seen outside of Seinfeld’s “Soup Nazi”.

OK! Mea culpa! I thought one had to sign in at IFTTT in order to either access or download the Oticon app for Android! And … AUGH, but freakin’ snow kept me from making that app’t with my aud-guy today. So now, it’s resched’d for the 5th of Jan. Luckily I had only minor tweaks to these aids, but still, I just want this to be over and DONE with.

I’m new here and new to the Oticon OPN 1’s. I have a follow-up appointment with my audi coming up, and I’d like some help on what programs I may want to ask for. As far as I can tell, I only have the default program which seems to be working well in most situations. How can I tell if I have Autophone? I hear the phone in my aids, but I’ve been holding the phone in front of my mouth to speak into the mic. Would it work better in Autophone? Also, what might work better in noisy restaurants? I tried the iPhone feature “Live Listen” but I got an irritating echo effect–the bluetooth connection and speech direct from the person were out of sync. Is there a way to turn off the direct pathway?

You can tell if you have Autophone or not when you put on a set of headphones over the OPN, you should hear the AutoPhone chime turning on. If you don’t, you most likely don’t have it on. You can also have your audi verify it by confirming that the AutoPhone mode is checked on the Genie 2 software when you’re at his office.

Since you said you’ve been holding your phone in from of your mouth to speak into the mic, I assume that you’re using an iPhone. If that’s the case, there’s already direct streaming from your iPhone so AutoPhone is not needed. Direct streaming is obviously much better than AutoPhone. The only time I would have AutoPhone turned on in your case is if I use a headset (with mic included) for a business call on a software phone like Skype on your laptop. Then direct streaming does not apply in that case and AutoPhone would help for using with your headset.

As for special programs on the OPN next time you see your audi, you can have him add the Speech in Noise one and the Music one if you want. But it’s really not necessary as the default program should already work well in most situations like you’ve already noticed. But in the most challenging environment like the restaurant, you can try switching between the default program and the Speech in Noise to see if it makes any difference or not. If little difference, you can always remove Speech in Noise next time you see your audi.

There are a couple more programs like Lecture mode and maybe something else which I don’t remember. You can have your audi pull down the menu and tell you which they all are so you can decide which ones you want to add. I think you can only have 4 programs if I remember correctly.

Sorry I never tried Live Listen because I really never had the need to.

I have 4 programs on my Opn 1:

Automatic
Speech in noise (directional)
Music
Comfort

As @volusiano noted below, you only really need the default automatic program. I occasionally use the music program bc I add in more bass and turn off noise reduction, but I can hardly tell the difference. The comfort program I have where the tinnitus support feature is turned on and I’ll turn that program on some times before bed. As for the speech in noise, your Audi can adjust several different settings (simple noise, complex noise, how fast noise reduction kicks in as well as fine tuning).

Hi, I use Oticon Opn 2PP’s I would like to have access to self adjustment , do you know where the Genie software can be accessed ? I have all the necessary hardware. Thanks

Please go to the DIY section of this forum to look there. There are several threads in there with people looking for links to download the Genie 2 software.