Programming Questions for Phonak Exelia Users

I got my aids with the mypilot remote last Thursday. The initial programming includes an automatic setting, speech in noise, and comfortin noise. My audi, if I am not mistaken can set up 3 and maybe 4 additional programs. My aids are the Micro BTE with ear molds.

From my experiences thus far, I basically try to leave the aids on automatic all of the time. My only exceptions have been restaurants where I have been using speech in noise and my car where I’ve used comfort in noise to hear the radio better and reduce road noise.

Any recommendations for additional programs? Share your personal experiences.

I got a pair of Costco Kirkland Signature Premium aids (Rexton Gem 12 RIC BTEs) last Thursday, and have a similar setup - automatic, driving noise, speech in noise for restaurants, plus a music program.

I use the automatic most of the time, but do switch to program 2 driving noise in the car, and program 3 speech in noise in the deli at work or shopping in noisy stores. Today working at home I switched into program 4 music and listened to my iTunes collection at my computer while I was working.

Paul as I have mentioned previously I am also considering the Exelia and am keep to hear of your experiences. The HA has 5 memories for listening programs. As you are aware of besides the manual mode these programs can be linked to the SoundFlow (automatic adjustment/blending based on environment) feature. Available options are:
Calm Situations
Speech in Noise
Comfort in Noise
Music
Acoustic Telephone
T-coil
T-coil + mic
FM
FM + mic
Mute

Go here and read the iPFG Desktop Fitting Guide:

http://www.exelia.phonak.com/en/downloads/

The Audi who recommended the Exelia to me also said they normally only use 3 programs which makes no sense to me. I would think the first 5 in that list would be automatic.

I know you have opted for the Micro as opposed to the M model. I believe you HL is a bit worse than mine at the moment. But based on the specs I am leaning toward the M because of my age and the likely hood of my hearing getting worse. In the past 2 year I have a 5-10 dB increase in HL in the speech frequencies. Looking forward to hearing how you are doing. The hearing center that recommended the Exelia’s to me does not let you do a test drive. You have to buy and then if you do not like them eat the $300. I have an appointment tomorrow with another hearing center that I believe fits the Phonak HAs and I hope they do test drives.

The Audi who recommended the Exelia to me also said they normally only use 3 programs which makes no sense to me. I would think the first 5 in that list would be automatic.

You can also link the FM modes to the auto programs…as EasyFM. Not sure if EasyPhone works the same, as I don’t care to add a magnet to my phones.

If you’re brave enough to add software to your computer and see what can be setup to your aids, here’s the link:

http://www.phonak.com/professional/productsp/fitting/fittingsoftware_download.htm?Product=iPFG&ProductVersion=iPFG+2.1a&Language=English&Country=USA&PrivateLabel=

even though I do not have the hardware to connect to my Naidas, I’m able to use this to help me find out what can be done as for adjustments. It also has “scenarios” to help you see how well your aids are adapting to certain environments…