Programming problem

Using iPFG 2.6b and the wizard, plus a bit of tweaking, these Naidas are getting better. But sometimes after connecting Noah-Link and switching it on, the right side goes to max gain. Activating the HAs gets it back to normal, but will this affect the programming?

I think my hearing varies a little, but a faulty HA isn`t going to help.

Thank you!
My only regret is that you have not solved my problem. However. Perhaps somebody will, because there is always hope!

Welcome to the wonderful world of doing your own hearing aid “personal programming”. With all the positives, you get to see and experience some of the negatives. I find it empowering to be able to take charge and “fine tune” my aids soo discreetly.

My thought is that the glitch you see will not affect your hearing aid programming. My initial thought is that you are just seeing a default view on your computer screen. I am assuming this because you did not mention that your sound settings were being changed in your hearing aid.

Just think, If you were not doing your own personal programming, you would not see this little quirk in the software. All you would notice is a quiet audi with a raised eyebrow, then a look of relief on her face.

Hi Normandy.
This doesn`t affect any settings. It’s before the HA is activated, and I just wonder why it only happens some times and not others. I sometimes get a short “Beep” adding to the fun!

One quirk I find, is if I make a change and decide not to save to the HA, I still have to hit “OK” after un-checking the boxes. But it still saves to the program. There`s always the long winded “undo” function though……

I have been fighting with iPFG, these Naida`s and my hearing for several months. I can get a program that seems ok for about two or three days, and then voices become un-clear. Waiting a few more days to see if it improves just gets more frustrating….

So far this month, I have had three programs that have made an improvement to my hearing. All derived from audiogram direct, then shaping the G80 G60 G40 on the graph to the Target, and raising the overall volume, plus other adjustments.
This appears to be the only way I can control compression. Using the wizard the compression graph looks like twisted wires, instead of two almost parallel lines. The distance between them, determines the volume of people with very loud voices.
But the wizard does give a good starting point to work from, although changes auto tuning make are a little too large.

This is probably a stupid question, but when you take a “snapshot” in iPFG, name it and make a note of changes, why can’t you find it?
It shows the time and “Automatic both sides save” then “internet” – but where?

Another strange thing is without the aids connected, you open your latest saved creation, make a change out of curiosity - which you undo, and you have to save it. Even after un-checking the boxes it still saves….so any mistake is saved as well. Even Microsoft asks if you really want to do it with an option!

Hi JohnD,

Sorry if this is a silly question, but when I’ve worked with Ipfg integrated into the Noah software (which I assume you don’t have) we have to click ‘ok’ even when we’re not saving it - are you sure it actually is saving it?

it’s interesting you think the programs are fine for a couple of days then tail off, what do you feel might be causing that? Are the situations you are in identical?

Oo quick though, do you have online / active programming turned on? That would change the hearing aids as you went and then leave them programmed that way even if you unchecked the boxes.

Not sure what’s causing one to ramp up, that’s a very strange problem.

Hi Trainee Audiologist, thanks for replying.

I am using iPFG as Stand Alone. Under Start / Programs / Noah-Link, I only have the pairing wizard, and properties. I remember seeing an alternative install method mentioned, after the install. There was no separate software.
I have to click “OK” to move on. I did notice the change to overall gain saved, so went back and undid that change.

I have been using this since mid January. I have had very good days, and a lot of very bad days.
I live with a great deal of distortion, so listening to music is impossible. Speech is extremely difficult at best.
On the good days I can just about understand my wife, and people talking directly to me. If I`m lucky, I may understand some TV speech. This is within an hour of a slight change of 1db to either frequency or volume.

The next day, speech sounds fuzzy. Lack of HF, although washing up and plastic bags, tells me there is plenty of HF. Leaving it for a few days doesn`t make it better. A slight variation to either overall volume or just the high frequencies may get it back, but not for long. This mostly applies to the right side where I hear only those frequencies around and above 1k.

The left ear is dead, as far as any sound or speech definition is concerned. But there is some hearing below 500hz, which is useful if balanced carefully with the right. a small change here can make a big difference.
So I do hear lawn mowers, vacuum cleaners, traffic and the difference between a bus and a car.

I have been told my hearing varies, and I believe this is true. HF around 2 to 4k seem most affected, and a slight boost around 3k helps, but then I may have to reduce overall volume to avoid more distortion and change again two days later – it`s a bit of a vicious circle.

I am retired, so my situation is not that variable. Understanding people in local shops, and my family, but more than one person talking sounds to be too loud. If I get the volume right, I can’t understand them. So still working on that!

On line active programming is on, so I can hear what changes I make. I always get confirmation of saving, and I leave the boxes checked. Interesting that it saves even if they are unchecked…

This “ramping up” has not happened recently. I have had the “failed” message – HI not connected! I think this is when at some point, the programming gets near the limit. Possibly an unstable state!

Normally, I would expect once the aids have been set up, my hearing would progressively improve.
However, I have made fewer changes, over the last month. Hearing still varies, but not to the extent of becoming totally useless. So I am hopeful my brain maybe accepting these Naida`s at last.

Well, great work! You have helped me to improve my knowledge about this field. Thank you so much for sharing.

Have you checked out the FAQ section that came with your device? Often they have a section devoted to common problems.

Hi KateDaring52.
It would be interesting to know what “field” that is?
Are you programming your own hearing aids?

I believe that by sharing our experience, we can all learn something. That is progress, and those of us with a difficult hearing loss are often left out in the cold.

Sorry John, I think its a bot running from a server.

Nasty people make spam bots that register on forums and make vague comments that could be construed as a genuine response (to avoid detection) and then include links to places that will probably eventually try to get you to input your credit card details.

So I’d ignore it and keep an eye out for similar scams. New users with just 1 post and no actual details about your initial post are always things to look out for!

How are the Naida’s coming along?

Hi Trainee Audiologist.

Ah! Silly people with lots of time on their hands! Should have guessed.

The Naidas or my hearing, are still not at peace with each other. Any improvement one day is spoiled the next. I am still trying to narrow down what is changing, although the change is not as great now. So there must eventually be a point at which the Naidas and my hearing come to some agreement.

A few months ago, I could just about understand TV sound from a cheap audio amp, but not the other two TVs in the house. Then I began to understand the main TV in the lounge. Recently, I can understand the TV in the kitchen, and some voices from several feet away – it does depend whos talking.

I was originally told I would only understand if someone talked directly to me, and that was the case. Now if I`m lucky, I can understand someone calling from another room. So there is a possibility of continuing improvement.

I have been using Audiogram Direct and Adaptive Phonak Digital. I have just started afresh with the Wizard and NAL 1. Or I thought I had – just checked, and it`s gone back to Phonak Digital…. I am beginning to think the software is not all it could be!

However, first impressions were that I had more gain from the left, but now I will have to re-check.

I am still puzzled as to where the program saves, when it says “Internet?”
The history and snapshot is another puzzle. Re-naming doesn`t work, and looking at a previous history date, re-saves with the present date. Thus making a difficult problem more difficult than it need be.
Any thoughts gratefully received……

Just had to do a re-install, and lost the HA programs and their history. Not too happy as I can’t find a way to re-import.

The way I have done this, is to copy from the HA making several new clients. Then transfer the setting from file. The file extension is .tfb, which will not import from the file menu.
Re-naming as .ipfg the program tells me it is corrupt, or from an earlier software version.

Anyone throw any light on this please.

Hi …sometime i just like to sit here and read then bingo a light bulb goes off in my head which makes me think i can help.
If you have the Naida’s with the Spice Chip, which were intro’ed last spring 2011 whenever, you should be using Target software. Obviously you probably have the Core Chip Naidas since you are using the IPFG software.

Just a thought.

Mstrmac.

These are from September 2009. I think a little before the Target software and the Spice chip!

However. My brain is now accepting them as a friend. The HF noise I have had to put up with for the last five years is gradually turning into almost meaningful sound. Music is still not how I remember it, but I do have some reasonable bass, even if I can’t understand the rest.

Speech from the TV and radio is sometimes understood in part, but live people can be very difficult close up. But this is not bad for one HF ear, and a supposedly dead one!

I hope that this first post from a long time appreciative lurker on the forum will be of use to you.
After you have saved the client data to the data base…go to the FILE drop down box (top left of the iPFG main screen).

Select…EXPORT…EXPORT FITTING…NORMAL…

Then the Export File Data Screen will ask you to save the file as type iPFG Client Data File (*.ipfg). This is the file that you can copy onto a flash drive or CD for safe keeping and called back into the iPFG program if you ever need to again.

(I am just starting to learn how to use iPFG 2.6b).:eek:

John,

Do you know what percentage compression you have in the aids? (on the fine tuning screen). With the Naidas under iPFG I usually set it around 50 or 60% and generally get better results.

To say nothing of finding it empowering to be able to hear :wink:

Hi adianup.

Many thanks for lurking…. It’s a very steep leaning curve without any proper instructions, and a few years training.

When first using the software, I only saved to the database not realising there were two ways of doing the same thing. So thanks for confirming that. Saving as ipfg, can also be exported as e-mail, which I have managed to send to my audiologist.

Although I havn`t tried it, I think the database maybe in the Phonak Program folder on the boot drive. I don’t want to wreck everything now, but perhaps I should have backed that up and copied it back after re-install.

I posted recently, about one of the most annoying problems – the snapshot! Re-name doesn`t work, and any notes can’t be found because you can’t open it.
Have you solved that one yet?

Hi audiogal.

Thanks for your suggestion. Compression always seems to be 100% whichever fitting formula I use. I have a fair amount of distortion due to my hearing loss, so not sure if too much compression or less MPO helps.

In the last few months I have tried both fittings, and now find NAL NL1 has less distortion with very loud sounds – such as alarms etc.

Loud voices are still a problem though. Two people talking in the same room, or even talking to me cause too much distortion to understand.

Looking at the graphs, G80 on the right is greyed out at 3.7k upwards, and the left all greyed out. So MPO is working, but not for loud voices. This isn`t something I have to cope with every day. Only when my son or certain neighbours visit, which makes any adjustments difficult to do.

However. I am making progress with these Naida`s, but they seem to need a long time to settle down. Any thoughts very welcome.