Programming Oticon opn s2 (DIY) what's needed

Hello I want to program my own Oticons, what all is needed to do this? And is it possible to do with the Oticon OPN S2 or is the software locked for audiologist only?

Thank you.

1. You will need a computer capable of running Windows 7, 2K or Windows 10 (I use a Mac running Windows7 under Virtual Box).

2. You will need a (free) copy of the Genie 2 v2019.2 from here:
    Oticon Support Portal
    The Genie 2 software is not locked or keyed in any way.

3. You will need either a) a Noahlink Bluetooth Wireless programming link or a USB mini HiPro wired programmer with cables for the Oticon OPN/OPNs - the advantage of the USB mini HiPro is that a wired programmer is required to perform a firmware update. The Noahlink Wireless can do all programming except perform a firmware update.

4. You will need an up-to-date audiogram

To be more specific for wired programming… If I only plan to use a miniPro or HiPro USB (knockoff) for doing firmware updates, will I be connecting only one hearing aid at a time? If so, then I only need one FlexConnect 390-01-180-05 cable (hard to find and upwards of $50 for one), plus the HiPro cable set such as model CS44a.

I think the FlexConnect 390-01-180-05 cable is correct for both the OPN and OPN S models. Mine are OPN 2 aids (not OPN S).

I use a Noahlink Bluetooth Wireless for programming.

Any other guidance?

thx,
cjn

Yes it’s one at a time, in fact just about every brand I’ve tried is one side at a time.

Yeah but a bit of a hassle tho, I mean you gotta change everything over, buy a set and be done with it, mind you I can’t see Oticon offering firmware updates on those older models anymore anyway.
I’m sure the HiPro is on its last legs now, as most latest HAs will be wireless, in fact some even offer firmware updates through their respective apps now.

Here’s an excerpt from a DIY School PDF file named (Fitting Instructions Oticon Genie2; Opn-OpnS) This readily available PDF file should answer all your questions about programming the Oticon Opn;

1 Like

Thanks @pvc for your dedication to this forum. I’ve done a lot of tech writing, and my take is that your writing is clear, well thought out for readability for the uninitiated, and leaves little room for guessing. Nice work, and thanks again.

Before posting, I studied this and other guides in your DIY School folder. With that info I deciphered the various programmer boxes on eBay. What threw me for a bit was if there were any differences in cs44 cable options. I think not, but many of the listing titles start with PHONAK, and the cs44a model appears to have a long barrel on the plug end, which I gather serves as a handle. All HA brands/models use this same cable assuming they work with the HiPro box? Only what the the cs44 cables plugs into is HA model specific (in my case a FlexConnect 390-01-180-05 cable)?

The second question I had was - since the flexconnect cable I need seem to be rare - do I really need two if all I’m doing is firmware updates? Per @tenkan, only one FlexConnect cable is needed for FW updates.

I’m picking up a second set of OPN 2 aids, and I may need to blast them with a firmware update, hence my questions.

regards,
cjn

Not quite, the HiPro cables are in most cases brand specific, as in Oticon(and sub brands) won’t fit Phonak (Unitron, Hansaton) I believe Starkey is wired differently as well, so not so much to do with the Flex connect.

The EBay market for near-obsolete cables-and-bits (and such) can fluctuate from cheap to expensive. For some items I do is this;

1. Perform an EBay search for the desired item
  2. Look at what is currently available (sometimes not much)
  3. Look at the history of Sold items (scroll down - left pane option)
  4. Choose the option (Heart-Save this Search)

Points 2&3 above gives you a general “feel” for the market.
EBay (Saved Search) will notify you about each new listing. Occasionally you may find a bargain.

I found this post… https://forum.hearingtracker.com/t/cable-pinouts-for-hearing-aid-programming/35498. Unfortunately the pictures don’t render.

Thanks for replies. So I need a CS44 cable, NOT at CS44a cable. Good catch.

The Hearing Club still lists Flex Strips for sale ($20 for a pair), but I’ve not found any info on compatibility for Oticon OPN. Any clues?

Yes The Hearing Club Flex Strips are one, and the same as Oticon Flex Strips. HOWEVER, The Hearing Club has two pictures. The larger picture is Programming Pills. You don’t want that. The teeny tiny picture is the Flex Strips. It’s a confusing presentation.

Yes, the missing pictures of the cable pinouts were stored on an external image-storage-website and then tend to get lost after a decade or so.

But I still have my DIY-Adapter (made from 6-pin keyboard/mouse extension cables). It switches standard CS44 cables to Phonak/Unitron/Hansaton CS44A-cables or vice-versa. Here’s a picture and a link; Successful project to make a DIY CS44A Phonak programming cable. It simply switches pins 3&4.