Profound vs deaf

Some people described themselves a being deaf, although actually they have a profound hearing loss. Now a profound loss means you really can’t hear anything without some kind of aid, but still you do have some hearing. I always assumed deaf meant no hearing at all, but I deal with people who are deaf, use sign language, are unable to speak properly, but still they say they have hearing aids but never wear them. Is there a line drawn between deaf and hearing loss?

Are you asking this question from a philosophical standpoint… or a medical?

You posted a very interesting question… and thoughts. I’ve spent the last hour or so online Googling “Deaf” and “Profound Hearing Loss”. It’s still as confusing to me, as it is to you.

As sometimes defined: a person with “profound hearing loss” is someone who needs the sound trying to be heard, to be at a decibel rating of at least 90 (can be mechanically increased with Hearing Aids)… and in close proximity to them.

To be “deaf” is sometimes defined as the inability to hear any sounds, no matter what the high decibel rating is.

Now to throw a monkey wrench into this whole thing. On the other hand, I found a couple of “Deaf” web sites that consider deafness as being hearing impaired with a “profound hearing loss”.

As you know, we often say someone is “deaf” even if they have only a little hearing loss. I’m confused… aren’t you? My thoughts on this?

“Which came first… the chicken, or the egg?” No matter which way you look at it you can see it either way.

Deaf… or Profound Hearing Loss??? It’s all on how one looks at it. :confused:

Shi-Ku Chishiki ShiKu.Chishiki@Gmail.com