Profound hearing loss, just got fitted with a Siemens Intuis SP DIR

hi there, i’m new to this forum. came across it while searching for info on the intuis.

just a short self-introduction, i’m a 21 yo female from singapore. i know this forum seems to be US-based but we’re all in the same boat here and i don’t think HA user experience will differ by a lot across continents. i have profound hearing loss in both ears due to EVA, right ear has been implanted with a cochlear implant since i was 8, left ear has been fitted with hearing aids all the while.

i don’t know if i have become more particular about my hearing quality as i grow up but i’m finding recent hearing aids to, plainly, fall short of what i expected to hear. the sounds are very unnatural, and more often than not i find that the sounds are very muted or muffled as if i have a cold all the time. sometimes i do catch colds and when the cold clears up my hearing seems to get better, but even without a cold my hearing is still not up to par.

i feel quite insecure about my hearing - i have good days and bad days when it comes to hearing. i go to school everyday, so sometimes i feel like my hearing is clear enough to be able to talk to as many people as i want to, but sometimes when i feel that my hearing’s muffled again i don’t really want to talk.

i just got the siemens intuis yesterday and i’m finding the same problem again. robotic sounds, muted sounds, i’m afraid my speech comprehension will go down. anyone using the intuis with profound hearing loss as well? i have a steep ski-slope hearing loss, with my high frequencies from 1k onwards being almost gone.

any advice or sympathetic comfort? thank you for taking your time to read this!

Hey there

Hang in there kiddo! I cant advise on what’s best but I really think you ought to see your audiologist. Or find a good one that’s willing to spend time with you to get the very best for you given your hearing loss.

We are all in the same boat and many can sympathise with you on the difficulty in talking to others, particularly in challenging situations.

Sounds like you need some support too… Dont get too downhearted.

I am by no means an audiologist, but would a feature like “SoundRecover” in the Phonak aids help you out at all. I am not sure if the Siemens has an equivalent feature.

Someone more qualified will comment shortly so you shouldnt have to wait too long.

Again, dont get depressed, keep your chin up and seek professional help :slight_smile:

Sundance

Have you ever worn any analogs? Because comparing digital to analog at the profound level is like night vs day for the most part. See the links off my signature link on the various issues relating to sound quality reproduction.

MG

There might be something in here

that you can use.

That’s quite a hand of cards that God has dealt you.

thank you all for your comments and encouragement so far! i’ve read the links and MachineGhost’s thread.

to be frank, i’m only starting to know more about how HAs work recently. when i was younger my parents concerned themselves with purchasing and asking about my HAs, i simply gave feedback to them as best as i could how i felt about the sound. now i’m standing on my own feet (about time!) so i’m still not very familiar with the technicalities of hearing aids yet.

i think my problem with my new siemens HA could be too much gain at the high frequencies. when i’m in a train tunnel or elsewhere the background sounds of the vehicles and people shouting in the background can be alarmingly loud, yet speech is a little distorted. i think my background noise level is too loud and this makes speech sounds unnatural. in quiet places, it could be because of compression of speech sounds, or it could just be that i haven’t gotten used to the sound of this HA yet.

if i ask my audiologist to lower gain of my, say, high frequencies, it would result in a decrease in volume of said high frequencies right? has anyone tried lowering gain of their higher frequencies and gotten a better result (less distortion, less robotic sounds) and more comfortable listening despite the reduction in volume of high frequencies?

In a conventional amplifier a too-large input signal results in clipping and so distortion. I don’t know how HAs handle this.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q="clipped+sine+wave"&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=hmOsT_3mMtOy0QG98qidBA&biw=1093&bih=741&sei=i2OsT9m7D4j40gGGiqGOBA

Also, with loud signals the battery current may be so high that the battery voltage drops below the lower limit for the HA’s electronics, and then all bets are off. This should be worse as the battery weakens.

You probably need a bit more compression in the higher pitched sounds. This will apply relatively less gain to louder speech (and other inputs) when you are out and about. The reason why they are alarmingly loud is a function of the Lombard Effect; where people automatically raise their own voice as a result of higher background levels.

Increasing the compression in the HFs will not automatically reduce the level of the quieter sounds, but there is a limit to how well this can work, as too much compression can make the sound more distorted and less clear as you lose the natural loudness growth of sounds.

One mistake I made at first was trying to do too much of the diagnosis myself. I wanted to figure it out and tell the audiologist to turn this up, turn that down. My audiologist would go along with that but would try to draw out of me the actual things I was experiencing. Many times her solutions were different than what I thought I needed, and things work out better when the audiologist has all the information.