Problems with Zinc Air batteries in the cold

I was reading something by Signia touting the advantages of rechargeable batteries and they stated (I’ll quote) “It’s a well-known fact that zinc-air batteries struggle to function properly in cold weather. The lack of moisture and low temperatures sap the batteries quickly, draining your hearing aids and causing issues with the sound quality.” Have people who live in colder climates experienced this?

Well I wouldn’t say I live in that cold a climate or that dry either. But I have noticed that my batteries don’t last as long in the winter as in the spring, summer and fall. I also do a lot of hiking and riding my scooter all year long. I haven’t noticed issues with my hearing aid performance.

As nearly as I can tell, my HAs work about the same in summer as winter, but they surely do not last as long in winter. I lose at lease a day. Once or twice, I’ve had a HA start telling me that it was dying when I was outside in the cold, only to last for quite some time later on when I got back to warmth.

1 Like

From what I know about Lithium-ion batteries, their performance degrade in the cold weather as well.

The ZPower system is spec’ed to operate at 50 degrees F and above.

So the Zinc Air issue with cold temperature is not unique anyway.

OK, I don’t feel so bad for not knowing this “well known fact.” Reminds me of a list of scientific definitions for interpreting research papers. “It is known” equals “I think so.” “It is generally known” equals “A couple of other people think so too.”

2 Likes

I’ve owned 2 electric cars (the Nissan Leaf and the Chevy Volt), both are on Lithium batteries, and their performance degrade significantly the colder the weather gets. So it’s not just “I think so”, but I’ve seen it happen to my electric cars. Well, the Volt has a gas engine in it as well.

Temperature extremes affect all battery technologies, regardless of the specific chemistry involved.

For each ‘benefit’ of one type, there is a disadvantage to also consider.

With Zinc air, you can replace a battery simply if it fails. You can keep a couple in a warm pocket and rotate them in extreme cold weather.

Rechargeable has it’s benefits, but I think mostly for things like dexterity problems. Carrying chargers around is a pain. Waiting for recharging is a pain and so on. If it was mission critical, I’d take disposables every time.

1 Like

I was referencing the original quote about zinc-air struggling in cold weather and then tried to add a bit of humor. I wasn’t referencing anything you said.

Oh OK. Sorry, my bad.

I think 50 degrees F is referring to the charger. I think the actual Z Power battery operates at 14-122 degrees F.
And 20 - 75% humidity.
I live in a cold winter climate and a very humid summer climate. My ZPower batteries are doomed. :slightly_frowning_face:

Regarding zinc air disposals, I have always found them to have more problems in the the hot humid summers than in the cold.

I suspect that the head and ear temperature keep the battery much warmer than the ambient temperature. I wore mine yesterday when I walked to the gym in -10 deg C (14 F) and they seemed to do fine. I was not real impressed with the wind noise suppression though. If I was going out in colder weather I would wear a toque and then they would be kept quite warm (along with my ears!).

1 Like

I wonder how many people keep all types of batteries in the refrigerator and believe it lengthens the life??