Problems with CIC hearing aids

i have hearing loose when i was child 6 years … now i got my hearing since 4 months ago…

actually at first i hate them … but i am trying to love them :cool:… i face to 2 problems…

1- my cic hearing aids don’t stay inside my canal they moving also some time little get out…especially when i am eating or talking …is it o.k or not what should i do in this case ?

2- i can’t hear very clear when talking in phone the sound become weak and there is a little noisy is there something need to set up with audiologist …??

that’s all and i love ur forums … b/c there is no people i can speak with them about my feeling with hearing aids alll of them tell me it’s o.k like eyeglasses :stuck_out_tongue: take it easy …

but i feeling different when i wear my eyeglasses all people wearing them but now just me :o

sooorry i talk too much …

waiting ur answer…

Hi Toma,

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum and let you know that you are not alone. Although I’ve been wearing hearing aids (CICs as well) for 16 or 17 years now, I remember what it was like to first get them and all the questions and concerns I had.

I’m sure I’m not the best person to answer your questions…hopefully one of the audiologists here will weigh in soon…but from my own perspective…

1. Yes, unfortunately, CICs do shift around a bit in the canal. I often find myself reaching up throughout the day to push them back in deeper. That said, they shouldn’t move around too much, and if they are there may be ways for your audiologist to wrap some material around them to get a tighter fit…or if really bad, you may need to get the shells remade to fit better. So it’s hard to say whether it’s just a matter of getting used to it, if it’s something you need to address. But I’d say talking to your audiologist about it and trying to help them understand what you’re experiencing is a good way to start.

2. Talking on the phone with a CIC in your ear can be challenging. Different models have different technology that is supposed to help deal with this. I suppose some of it works better than others. And I believe that some hearing aid models work better with certain cell phones…there’s apparently a way to determine which aids pair well with which phones, though I have never really figured that out. Personally, I either just play around with holding the phone at different angles until I’ve got a decent volume coming in, but without causing feedback/whistling. Or, frankly, if I have an long or important call to make, I often just take my hearing aid out for the time being so I can press the phone tightly to that ear. But again, it’s something you should probably talk to your audiologist about, as there may be adjustments they can make to your specific aid that will help.

Hope that gives you some info to get started with. And best of luck with the aids. Although new hearing aids take some time to get used to…particularly your first pair…I have found that you quickly get used to them, and hearing is much better than not.

thank u wutziznam …

i got soo much benefits from ur replay …

today i call the place where i buy my cic’s from , he told me that they must be clear in phone but they need some adjustments as u say .

i’ll take an appointment with my audiologist as soon as i can . and hope to settle these problems …

toma22,

i’d take a look at the custom mold of your hearing aid and see if they are designed correctly for your ear. If your hearing aid is fitted correctly you should have little trouble with them coming out.

Mary Albert
Hearing Aid Reviews

I’ve never owned a CIC type aid but seeing how it’s configured and how deeply it fits in the ear I would think that it working itself loose or having to be pushed back in every so often would be unacceptible. The shell is custom fit, which to me would mean it stays put.

I just found a suggestion from another thread here http://www.hearingaidforums.com/showpost.php?p=31950&postcount=9 that worked for another user.

Hi Toma,

I’ve worn CIC hearing aids for years. I do have a little trouble with them sometimes making a slight popping noise when I eat, but they really shouldn’t shift when you talk or move too much when you chew. It sounds like they might be too loose in your ears. I would agree with the poster who suggested getting new shells made if they’re slipping that much. Do they both seem to shift, or does one seem to fit differently than the other?

As far as the phone calls go, see if your audiologist can make adjustments for that. There’s a lot they can do with programming to help call quality. I am currently using a Widex Diva, which delivers phenomenal call quality with hardly any feedback. I trialed a Widex Mind440, which was terrible on the phone, though adjustments did help a lot. But since I use the phone a lot for work, I returned that aid.

You might even find that better-fitting shells will also improve your call quality. If the shells are too loose, it can cause sound to leak up around the hearing aid and into the phone receiver, which can muddy the clarity and audibility of the caller’s voice.

It takes a lot of patience, practice and sometimes a lot of visits to the audiologist to get your hearing aids to the point where you can love them instead of being frustrated by them. They’re all different, and none of them is perfect in every single situation. But the right ones should work well enough to greatly improve your life and not cause you significant problems in other areas – like comfort or quality of life and ability to work.