Problem with Oticon Opn and Apple iOS 14.2

OPN 1’s new phone with 14.2 and it blasts a burst of static in the right ear most times when the phone is sending audio to the HA’s.

I did the Forget and re-paired. No better.

I rolled back to my old iPhone and no problem.

Clearly it comes with a iPhone 12 Pro Max on 14.2.

Heads up!

This has been discussed in many threads for days.

1 Like
1 Like

Got it, guess I should read more, type less! :grinning:

2 Likes

I have the OPN 1s paired with an iPhone 6 Plus with the same random static issues. I had problems in recent time frame. Phone has now updated to iOS 12.4.8. You would think that since the integration with hearing aids has caused many people to purchase newer phones that manufacturers would at least attempt to confirm compatibility with various aids.

I have OPNS1 and OPN1 aids and the iPhone SE 2020, and also the iPad mini 5 on IOS14.2 and I am not having any static issues, but I have to say I did have some static with IOS14 and 14.1.

Known Apple issue - I have a case # from Support: 101232513769. Status is “High Priority” for whatever that is worth!

Apple has released iOS 14.2.1 it fixes the MFI issues with iPhone 12.

1 Like

In case any user of an older iPhone (like me) wonders why they don’t get iOS 14.2.1, it’s only for the iPhone 5G 12 lineup according to Phone Arena.

Hi, I just loaded 14.2.1 into my offending 12 Pmax phone overnight.

Here’s hoping things got more better

Later, George

Well, it has been a couple of hours now since I HA’ed up following the load of 14.2.1 in my iPhone 12 Pmax and I would say Apple got close. The loud static seems to be gone.

When I get an alert such as a timer or notice of eMail receipt I do get a tad of a garble in what was a clear alert sound. The volume of the garble is not louder than the programmed sound.

95% is better than what it was.

Later, George

End of the day report, 14.2.1 has fixed the static blast on my iPhone 12 Pmax.

That’s right. It’s because the iPhone 12 uses a different Bluetooth chip than earlier iPhones and Apple had allowed a bug to slip through in the firmware for iPhone 12 release. IOS 4.2.1 fixes that and a couple of other bugs that only affect iPhone 12.
Best

David

1 Like

Over the past week my right ear keeps losing connection to my iPhone 7 iOS 14.2. I’m not sure if it’s an aid issue, phone/iOS issue, or Oticon app issue. Thoughts?

The first thing I would do is reboot the iPhone, if that didn’t help, and you only had the aids paired to the iPhone, I would forget the aids on the iPhone reboot then pair again.

3 Likes

Have you updated the iPhone firmware? If it’s still on IOS 14.2 then that is likely part of the problem. You need IOS 14.2.1 or the current version IOS 14.3

Edit: Sorry, IOS 14.2.1 is only for iPhone 12.

Otherwise I agree that restarting the iPhone is the main thing to try.

1 Like

We just got upgraded to iOS 14.4 and a major reason for its release is that it addresses some critical iOS security issues that according to Apple have already been actively exploited. There are OS updates for the iPad and Apple Watch, too. So all should upgrade ASAP.

3 Likes

I’m using iOS 14.4.1 on my new iPhone 12 and the audio quality in my Oticon OPN 2 HAs is UNBEARABLY bad.

It was, no surprise, fine in the iPhone 7 I just switched from.

And, also no surprise, when I call Apple support about this, they (act like) they have no idea what I’m talking about, despite all the complaints on their own forum.

This was well discussed. Apple fixed the problems in 14.2. I am now at 14.4 and working well

Load the upgrades.

Didn’t he say he’s at 14.4.1 like you already?