Pricing on Hearing Aids

Say, this is ridiculous!! There are outrageous markups on hearing aids. I just got quoted 4800 dollars for two Widek Aikias through Kaiser. Is there any way that I can get hearing aids for a normal markup rather than ten times what they cost to make?

:mad: jgkresge - I understand you being upset about the high prices. You have been quoted a high end Widex aid and $4,800 for a set is a little high, but not totally out of line for a pair of new, state-of-art digital hearing aids.

There are many other very good aids on the market for under $3,000 a pair and some under $2,000. When you start at the top, maybe some prices on the lower line digitals will look better?

You’re right about the 1000% mark-up from manufacturing COST to retail price but this is true for many consumables. Research & Development, marketing, sales, insurance and a hundred other things (overhead and profit) contribute to the high retail prices.

Hearing aids are also made available to those in need through several organizations. The Lion’s Club for one.

For you, I’d recommend looking at a set of mid-range digital aids without all the bells and whistles and a budget of $3,000.

I know it’s still a lot of money but your hearing is worth it. Good Luck. :wink:

Very well put.

Thank you.

Yesterday my British Army Medical centre issued me with a Oticon Synchro known as a Oticon Spirit 3 in the United Kingdom.

He told me it would cost Euro 1500 (US$2070) on the German High Street, but the British National Health Service (who offer the biggest single contract for the purchase of haering aids in the world) can buy it for £90 (US$185)

Even allowing for consultancy fees, that is a lot of profit.

I spent 45 minutes with an army audiologist and will go back in a month (I guess for a 30 minute appointment.)

$185 USD for Oticon Syncro’s…that is incredible!

I wish we could purchase them for that price or even 4 times that!

Hearing aids to the public are costly, partly because we as professionals are charged so much, as compared to what your government is buying them for.

I guess the technology in the latest hearing aids is quite advanced, and the Research and Development costs must be high relative to the number of units sold; but the marginal cost of manufacturing a hearing aid is quite low. That’s why big purchasers (and I said the British National Health Service set the biggest single contract in the world) can bid the price down; nevertheless I am sure the manufacturers could sell small quantities for less and still make a living.

And I suspect small business running costs push up the price, and the need in some parts of the world for a clinician to have a very smart premises out of which to practice.

In general, less develop countries pays less than develop countries due to several reasons. a) they wholesale and retail at the same time
b) the cost of labor is quite cheap c) health care profesionals have lower salaries D) cost of real state, running a lab are quite small. e) the equipment used are minimal (most people dont perform REM) dont calibrate their equipment once a year, etc

So for example you can go to mexico and find considerable lower price aids than in the US. But in general, you got to think that everything that is medical in the US is expensive. 1 example, the cost of an intraocular lens
at a manufacturer level es $8-15$ buy the time they reach the end user
they tend to pay anything between $100-$400,

FIX PS3