Prevalence of higher frequency hearing loss

Hello Everyone
Would it be possible for the expert advisers who contribute to this forum to say what proportion of their clients with hearing impairment suffer from significant loss at higher frequencies, and relatively less hearing loss at lower frequencies? I wanted if I could to confirm that such patients form a substantial minority (or majority?) of all hearing aid users.

Problemsolver1

So you are asking what percentage of patients have a sloping HF HL? As long as their HF hearing is worse than their LF hearing, even if there is LF HL as well?

I’d say probably 95% of my patients have hearing that is better in the LF’s and then slopes off in the HF’s.

Thanks to DocAudio, for my sole response. I imagine that if his reply was inaccurate, numerous other people would have joined in - I therefore assume that he was absolutely right. It also suggests that, even though age related hearing loss must weigh heavily in the calculation, many sufferers whose loss was caused by factors other than age nevertheless have HF hearing loss and it will trouble them more than the LF hearing loss.

Does it follow that a high proportion of HA users could benefit from frequency compression/transposition technology? Or does the fact that many sufferers are advanced in age mean that they will have difficulty in adapting to advanced hearing aids?

Problemsolver1

I would not go so far to say that a high proportion would benefit from frequency compression/transposition (which are two different things BTW). As far as who would benefit from what, It really depends on what is happening in the cochlea and entire auditory system. Too much plays into how well someone does with a hearing aid besides configuration of hearing loss and age to make any broad, sweeping statements.

Oh and I’m a “she”…not a “he”…but that’s okay. It’s a common mistake… :smiley:

No and no :wink:

In order to be candidates for even trying frequency compression/transposition, their high frequency loss has to be very severe. And even if they are a candidate, these techniques are very hit and miss. Some love it and some hate it, but not alot of patients fall in the middle.

And frequency compression/transposition is not only available in advanced digital aids. Some manufacturers offer this feature in multiple levels of technology. And the age of the patient is not really related to only being able to handle basic technology. Advanced technology tends to be able to be programmed with most of the features as “automatic”, so it doesn’t necessarily require extra know-how on the users part.

High frequency loss is definitely the majority of the patients I see.

dr.amy