Power hearing aid with frequency range up to 9000Hz?

Hello, I need powerful hearing aid with sound pressure level up to 135dB. But in the frequency range all previous hearing aids I know can only reach around 5000Hz. I need frequency range up to 9000Hz. Do they exists?

I have a very flat hearing loss 100dB 150hz - 9000hz

I’m no expert but I don’t think it’s going to happen. With that kind of sound pressure level, you’re talking at least super power, likely ultra power aids. There aren’t very many of them and they max out at under 6khz. The way I’ve heard it explained is that a hearing aid receiver is like a reed vibrating. More power needs a thicker reed, but it won’t vibrate at as high a frequency. The only way I know of to be aware of those upper frequencies is to use frequency lowering where the hearing aid shifts the higher frequencies down to a lower frequency where hearing is better.

1 Like

I think others have commented that when you have lost that much hearing, especially since higher frequencies usually end up being “deader” than lower frequencies, that even if the ability to amplify up to 9 kHz were available, it’s not likely to do you much good and as MDB points out, you be likely to have to use frequency lowering/frequency “recovery” to be able to hear anything, even ~indirectly, at those very high frequencies.

I would also wonder personally whether with such high amplification, if the more it’s used across the board, the more it helps you kill any remaining hearing that much faster. I was playing around with in situ audiometry last night and one choice was to test whether my HA’s were capable of amplifying sound to the “Uncomfortably Loud” range (self-test of what that was). With my MP Quattro receivers, I could venture over 100 dB in some frequency regions. As soon as I ventured over 95 dB, a warning popped up on the screen advising to proceed only at my own risk - that ReSound would not be responsible for any damage that I might possibly cause to my hearing. Life is only so long so I’m sure for many being able to hear anything at all (a big truck coming around the corner) is much preferable to hearing nothing (and getting flattened by the truck) and any ultra super power effect is likely to be gradual unless one is listening, say, to loud music all day long, etc.

BTW, if anyone like me foolishly wants to test what’s “uncomfortably loud,” I suggest that you (or your audiologist) reduce the length of the test tone pulse to a minimum. I stupidly left it at the long several second pulse length that I was using to detect my threshold sensitivity - probably helps save a few atomic units of hearing to reduce pulse to shortest possible length.

1 Like

True that. With notes.

Start soft and work up!!! 90, 100, 110…, not 110 to start.

With recruitment, 10dB steps may seem quite large, go 5dB steps.

In PA work I always had my hand on the Master knob when pushing the system to LOUD. Sometimes things go wrong fast, and your hand on the throttle is moderately effective. In this crowd, that may mean holding your aid tube/wire for quick yank-out.

You need more than a tenth-second for really good loudness perception. (Perception of mS speech sounds is mostly experience.)

NIOSH has level/time charts for very slight risk of impairment. 94dB SPL is “OK” for an hour a day. (ReSound may figure the worst-case appointment as 54 minutes testing which gives the 95dB SPL warning level.) At 115dB SPL they want 28 seconds max. NIOSH chart and other stuff So it is OK to see the warning and beep yourself with 120dB SPL, but don’t do a lot of that.

When you are paid to work in loud sound, OSHA allows higher numbers; in the sense that wage-slaves are paid for some body-wear. 95dB for 4hr, 100 for 2hr. 120dB is “OK” for 7 minutes, 130 for 2 minutes, even every day. My experience says that these numbers DO cause damage; if your job requires them, change jobs; don’t do it to yourself without compelling reason.