Post your Halo experiences here!

halo
starkey

I’m fitting my first two sets early next week- Halo i110’s, one set is with absolute power molds for a profound loss, the other will be open fit for a flat loss around 50db. I’m anxious to hear people’s experiences with the aids and their interface with the companion app.

0 Likes

Update:

I fit a set of i110’s today. I took some time to getting to know them on my iPhone 5 for a while before the client arrived, and have a few things to report.

-For providers, if you connect them to your phone before the client arrives, disconnect the aids from your phone and actually turn off your bluetooth entirely
or the aids will not connect to the client’s phone.
-They are not difficult to sync to the iPhone, and once synced, I never lost connection.
-Sound quality streaming phone calls is great and works well, but not so great with music- not a rich sound, and the client agreed.
-If you have an iPhone 4 or 4S, there is no binaural streaming, you have to pick one ear- the Starkey tech acknowledged others had said this as well, though I’m not sure
if doing a software update on the phone would have fixed that or not- I don’t think so.
-Geo-tagging and setting up TruLink memories is very straightforward, but the aids sometimes don’t automatically switch memories like they should. In any case, it is very easy to quickly set the aids
to whatever memory you want using the TruLink app.

0 Likes

Thank you for this. Would you say the music quality is better or worse than that with the 3 series using the SurfLink Mobile streamer?

0 Likes

Hey Mike,

It’s about the same. I don’t mean to make it sound terrible- it’s not, it’s just not as rich as it could be.

0 Likes

Thanks, Jeff. I am having a try-out of the 3-series (RIC-AP, i110 130/70 matrix), and the music sound is not too bad; certainly better than the Phonaks I was trying earlier this year. I’ve ordered my Halos to take the place of the 3-series aids I am trialling (they arrive in UK 1st May), so I’m really interested in any experiences from users in the USA.

Thanks again. Mike.

0 Likes

Hey Mike,

I have a client I am fitting with the Halo i110 w/ AP molds later this week, and her loss is very similar to yours but a bit worse in the lows, I’ll post an update.

0 Likes

I’m curious about the sound quality of music; how would they compare to say, $20 headphones? I wouldn’t expect them to match the quality of $100 Sennheisers but if they’re competent enough it’s something I can try at work when i’m not able to blast the speakers.

0 Likes

I’m VERY interested in how the profound loss fitting goes. Can you let us know what fitting formula you went with (e-Stat, Nal-R, etc) and whether you went with WDRC or compression limiting?

0 Likes

Since I don’t own an iphone I was thinking up picking up a 4S to save some money but if this is true, I am not so sure anymore. Does anyone know if upgrading to the latest iOS will fix this limitation?

0 Likes

@jgirardi: I will contact Starkey tomorrow and let you know what they say about this.
@lincoln: Sure thing, I will post an update once I’ve fit it- still waiting on the AP molds

0 Likes

Jgirardi: The 4S is limited to monaural streaming, confirmed.

0 Likes

Thanks for the response Jeff. Just to clarify, does this mean you can only hear streaming input (such as phone calls and/or music) in one hearing aid only? Or does this mean you only hear the streaming input in mono as oppose to in stereo?

— Updated —

0 Likes

Yes, it means the aids will only stream to one ear at a time. You can choose which ear it streams to, but you are still limited to either L or R

0 Likes

@lincoln: I fit the AP halos the other day with the 70db receivers. I think it’s a great hearing aid- but it just wasn’t a good fit for this client. If you’re not well versed on your iPhone and comfortable with everything that goes along with it, any made for iPhone hearing aid will be tricky. After a bit of frustration (for both of us) I decided to order some power plus standard BTE’s instead, 3 ser i70- her loss is so profound that I’m not sure she would benefit or realize the features from anything more advanced. So I really think the Halo is awesome and want to fit it to someone who is a good candidate who is actually good with their iPhone, but finding those people is proving to be harder than I thought.

0 Likes

Thanks Jeff, I just talked with my audie today and he felt with my degree of loss I really need the OSPL90 level of a Power Plus (138), so either the 3 Series or the X Series Power Plus BTE would be a better fit. He’s also not impressed with the quality of the Halo when using it for phone calls when fitted with those with severe losses either. How profound was your client’s loss?

0 Likes

Hi Lincoln,

I can’t say that exact scores for privacy concerns, but very, very similar to yours. I think she will do well with the power plus BTEs.

0 Likes

Thanks, hope the fitting for the Power Pluses go well for her.

0 Likes

I am presently using Resound Linx 7’s and have been provided the opportunity to try the Halo’s today. I will surely post my experiences.

Marc

0 Likes

Received these on Friday April 25th and I have been using Resound 7’s. I told my audiologist that I will keep a detailed diary so she can help others with proper fitting and expectations. I am happy to share my experiences here as well. I will post my 3 days experience here and update as I learn more.

April 25–

Left office and did experience an increase in acuity of ny hearing as compared to the resound 761. Perhaps it is because we just increased the volume but I was hearing sounds from my car that I hadn’t before. Wore them for about 2 hours and noticed keyboard clicks and mouse clicks that were not noticible before but not to a distracting level.

April 26

When I put the devices in my ear this morning there was a rather pleasant connection sound produced as opposed to the non descript Resound beeps. It was nice to know that they we on and connected. There was no issue connecting to the Bluetooth on the phone. Got some time to play and configure the application. Here at Idaho ice world is a rather noisy setting doing some work and I was able to steam music (Rolling Stones, pink Floyd, led zeppelin) to the devices without difficulty and sound quality seems much better than the resounds. On my drive home I will see if the car function works. One question I have is regarding one of the memory settings I don’t know what the Trulink setting actually does. So I would love to learn more about it when I come in next week. So far there is minimal soreness with my ears and the color is actually growing on me :slight_smile:

2:35-- drove home and noticed the car mode automatically switch with subsequent notificstion. After I arrived home it notified me that it was switching back to normal mode.

My next question is will the HA automatically switch to music mode as soon as streaming starts? I will experiment in a bit.

5:03 pm— keeping the TruLink app open constantly keeps GPS functioning to constantly survey the environment which will enable the ability to change settings. This has lead to frequent decrease in iphone battery. This isn’t any different than the Resound app. Fortunately I carry additional batteries for this very reason. However it may be an issue for other users.

5:43pm – took a drive and had the TruLink app open in the background and it didn’t pick up that I was driving. Don’t know if it had to do with such a short drive. Once I opened of the app in the foreground it activated the car mode. I will do some more investigating.

April 27

10:00 am-- first trip to a restaurant. While the devices are a bit louder the experience was pleasant. I was able to follow all conversations I switched it to restaurant mode but couldn’t hear if the noise cancellation was working.

11:00am – Barnes and Noble- here I noticed some subtle changes in the directionality of the HA. It appeared that one ® seemed to actually reduce in volume while the left increased as I was near a wall on my right side. As I turned to face the origin of the sound both came on. This was very interesting.

12:39 pm – first call with the HA wasn’t a real good experience as the voice transmitted was very synthesizer like and while I could understand the person wasn’t a overall good experice. I immediately switched to listening to the person from the actual phone. I will investigate to see it the batteries are running low.

Tried calling my assistant voice mail and the same issue.

As you can see I have 3/4 battery left. Let me reset the HA and try calling again.

After a reset it was even worse. I am going to try and change the batteries after I try to stram music. Same experience with music which wasn’t the same yesterday. Will try and reset the phone before I change the battery.

Reset of the phone was successful. One thing I need to understand is how to anticipate this may be an issue as I will not be able to conduct phone calls with the prior situation.

One interesting note was that after the phone reset the battery life indicator shows full power when prior to the reset it showed 3/4 full.

Still learning about the car mode as it does appear that the app needs to be accessed in order to trigger it to use GPS. My thought is if I actually need to go into the app I could just as easily manually switch it to car mode. More to come.

I couldn’t get the images to come across so I have created a public evernote notebook so you can view my progress (click progress and it wil take you to my journal)

Marc

0 Likes

Following this with much interest as I lost one HA last week–a Rexton Cobalt that is 6 years old. Now looking at all ideas. Found used Cobalt (thanks to this site) on ebay which will tide me over. I hated having 2 devices–the iPhone (my addiction) and my tec. Also disliked wearing the tec. Will this stream with a TV transmitter? I was also hoping the new HA would have a remote mike for someone across the table etc.

— Updated —

Following this with much interest as I lost one HA last week–a Rexton Cobalt that is 6 years old. Now looking at all ideas. Found used Cobalt (thanks to this site) on ebay which will tide me over. I hated having 2 devices–the iPhone (my addiction) and my tec. Also disliked wearing the tec. Will this stream with a TV transmitter? I was also hoping the new HA would have a remote mike for someone across the table etc.

0 Likes