Please help me understand my initial fit of KS10

fair dinkum mate, was thinking a bit much for one person!

1 Like

Had to look this up too.
Thanks

That brew looks excellent. I did try brewing decades ago. My first brew was excellent, like Heineken. But the second batch got bad, may be I did not sterilize the equipment thoroughly. Anyway, it tasted great, but I got sick after drinking it, had to stay in bed for 3 days. Never did I brew again.

By the way, I did take another dive into getting a fitting from scratch, following Rudrive suggestion of just following target. Without inputting any audiogram, I created new session, did feedback and real ear test, used feedback test result to predict vent, and generated audiogram direct, see attached.

Next I did global tuning with 90% gain level, with prescribed compression. I did not use sound recover 2 (now they call it high frequency protect in target 7.1.2). Target suggested speech boost of moderate level, 14. But that gave me a lot of static noise, and I reduced it to weak level of 6. Please check my global tuning and fine tuning attached.

I will appreciate any feedback. It does sound better than costco fit which had used different feedback and real ear test, semi-linear compression, and sound recover 2.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions about how should go next based on my audiogram (severe high frequency loss, and asymmetry in loss).
FineTuning.pdf (92.4 KB) GlobalTuning.pdf (84.9 KB) Audiogram.pdf (30.5 KB)

But I am in the fitting range on my right side for an open fit so why does it reduce the highs massively? They reduce it so much that I basically have no gain left in the highs.

Ok so this may well be that your audiogram doesn’t show your actual loss, do you use your audiologist test to enter into target, if so, you could try a couple of experiments to get to the bottom of it, one you could use audiogram direct instead and see if this changes from open to closed.

Are you using a std receiver, if so a medium power could probably be a better fit, spread the frequency range out a bit more.

You could also try changing the acoustics to closed but actually leave the open dome fitted, it’s possible you won’t have feedback issues constantly.

One more thing, what happens when you manually lift the frequencies to where you can hear, are you getting feedback constantly or only when triggered?

A quick look at your attachments leads me to believe you are wearing open domes or acoustics that are vented too much.

This is KS9 and KS10 only description.

The absolute first thing you have to do programming hearing aids is set them up properly.
That means the correct acoustics in particular with the correct audiogram. This will allow the software to give a good prescription for a particular hearing loss. When set up right there will not be any feedback. If gain is too low because of feedback manager the acoustics are too open/vented.

Brewing isn’t for everyone. It’s kind of like hearing aid self programming. Art and science.

I looked into acoustics, and it had vented domes. I think that was an error. I started a new fit, and connected the hearing aid. This time it said it was open dome. I redid the steps. Here are my updated 3 files.

Do they make sense to you? Sorry, I am so new to this that I do not quite understand how to look at all the global and fine tuning fit plots. I am searching internet for literature on audiology fundamentals. If you have some good links, please pass it on.

I will appreciate you feedback. I have appointment with Costco on Tuesday, so I will bring that up to my audiologist then. By the way, so far the fit seems OK.

Updated_FineTuning.pdf (79.5 KB) Updated_Globalfit.pdf (78.0 KB) Updated_Audiogram.pdf (33.9 KB)

You need to tell Target what type acoustics you are wearing and vent size if earmolds. It’s important.

If I am looking at your graphs right, the actual gain is higher than Target and you might be getting feedback. Is this correct?

I am not sure what kind of dome I am wearing, this is my first hearing aid, got it a month ago. I called costco, but the guy at front did not know it, and now I have to wait until Tuesday and ask my audiology tech at the appointment.

Can you tell me from this two pictures what kind of dome is it?

I do get some feedback, like a mild echo of speech. Can you please explain me in the plot what is target and what is actual gain. In fine tuning pdf file, is purple curve the target and red curve actual gain? What about the top blue curve exceeding 40 db? What curve is that? For less than 1k, why is red curve if it is actual gain lot less than target (if purple curve is the target)? Also what are the dark and light shaded regions red and blue in right and left ear curves? I have no idea and I need some help understanding this?

Thank you once again. BTW, is your beer ready to consume, or you just bottled it and now have to wait for several more weeks? I do remember the brewing process years ago. First I brewed in a big cylinder for weeks. Then bottled it and waited for more weeks before I drank it. My second batch got bad because I did not sterilize the bottles well enough.

Dome2.pdf (34.4 KB) Dome1.pdf (36.7 KB)

Put your cursor over any line to get the description.

Do some research, get some answers.

Good luck

Thank you

Thank you. I am doing it now, searching internet.

BTW, would you please take a look at the attached dome pdf above and say which kind it is?

It’s a closed dome in your pictures.

What receivers are you using,they look like standard in your pictures, should be medium power.

If I were you, I’d go for a custom made mould with a small vent
(maybe like 1.0mm to 1.4mm)
Your loss is profound in the higher frequencys (95dB around 4Hz)

You want to try and get a really tight fit in your ear canal, so No leakage, this will lift the gain to where you’ll need it.

1 Like

Take a look for n ebay or do a Google search for domes phonak 4.0.
Should get you going.

I am wearing medium receiver.

When I connect KS10 to Target 7.1, it gives me options for only cshell, slimtip, power dome, vented dome, open dome and cap dome. I do not see close dome.

So to refit, I need to choose one of the above, any idea? I wonder if closed dome is same as vented dome in Target 7.1.2 choice?

Thanks for the suggestions. Hovering mouse over curves in target is indeed giving me a lot of information.

When I did google search for phonak 4.0, it does not show close dome.Phonak4.0Domes.pdf (54.2 KB)

Please see the attached. So I am lost again. The pdf of dome I had attached above does not look like any one of these.

I have appointment with Costco on Tuesday, and I want to ask her for a right dome for tighter seal.

Regards,

Bharat

Ok yeah that’s it, it was called closed now they call vented for Marvel and Paradise.
Your Costco fitter will advise accordingly, but I still think you should ask about custom moulds, just ask them, cost is like only $50 or 60 each.

Good luck

I am going to ask for custom moulds. I have tried so many fits varying various parameters like ovetuning gain, varying sound recover 2 parameters, etc. but feedback is there. It is interesting that feedback is not always there, it depends on the person on TV and where he/she is talking. I get more feedback in news program than TV shows. By the way, I get feedback only when I use TV Connector, not if I listen to TV directly.

That doesn’t sound right, something’s not set up correctly,I would think it should be the other way round, as in feedback when listening to tv directly.
But again this is easily adjusted in the software, you can attenuate the microphones, so only the streaming signal is available, so no possibility of feedback.

I have been looking at Target 7.1 with my fit. I can disable microphone in speech+mic and music+mic, but those are bluetooth streaming. I can not fine anywhere TV Connector in program options to disable microphone.ProgramOptions.pdf (35.6 KB)

In the bottom, I can add program, but I can add only Tcoil, could not find anywhere to add TV Connector. By the way, only when I streaming from TV Conncector that it shows up in the app on Android.

Any idea how to disable microphone for TV connector?

Good question, actually I believe you can enable microphone or not for streaming from device options, so try that to begin with, the TV Connecter has its own profile so this should be no problem. You can do the same for AutoSense 4.0 streaming as well, but I’m not sure if that works for tv Connecter, try it and see.