Please explain "slope" to me

I do not understand its significance, or its effects.

I presume you mean ski slope, which is the term people use to describe the typical high frequency hearing loss. It’s used because with the usual audiogram charts, the lines connecting the X or 0 on the chart looks like a ski slope, as in snow skiing.

That’s the only meaning I know of. My audiogram looks like a ski slope with a little dip in the upper part of the hill.

On my audiogram, there are the initials SL with a number following it.

It’s hard to say what is is unless you can scan it for us. It might indicat Skislope loss with your 3 frequency averge or it might be the testers initials and provider number.

The effect a skislope loss generally causes is that you can hear speech, but you have issues with clarity. i.e. You can’t undestand speech, particularly when the speaker is not facing you. People with this configuration of hearing loss generally has more trouble hearing female or child or even storngly accented speakers and often has great difficulty understanding speech in background noise. The most common cause for this configuration is noise induced hearing damage, although there are a few other less likely conditions that could present with this configuration as well.

It is a box in the audiogram and the number is 40.
I do not have noise-induced hearing loss…I was a school librarian. Sshhhh!

250 L10 R10
500 L10 R10
1000 L10 R10
2000 L10 R10
3000 L15 R20
4000 L25 R25
5000 L45 R60

SRT 10R 15L

SL R40 L40

:slight_smile: Hello. I am aged 41. For about 25 years I have trouble with my hearing. Dianosed with ‘Mild to Severe sloping sensorineural hearing loss’. For about 5 years I have tinnitus with high frequency ringing noise in both years. I was making up so far with ‘lip reading’. As my hearing got worse, I went to an audilogist, had audiogram and immediately opted for an hearing aid in one ear. I am using Phonak Una from 1st October, 2009. I have started wearing it for about 8-10 a day. Fitting has been fine tuned once so far.

My audiogram reads
250 Hz : L40 : R40
500 Hz : L50 : R50
1000 Hz : L65 : R60
2000 Hz : L75 : R75
4000 Hz : L75 : R80
8000 Hz : L80 : R75

I wish to know whether (1) Using Hearing aid in one ear is advisible? If not desirable why? (I found it comfortable with one HA and am happy to hear with real ear atl east partially) (2) Whether spoken words heard thorough hearing aid would be not natural but would be like ‘spoken through a mike and amplifier’ in a lecture hall. (3) I get head ache. (3) Whether at the time of fitting I should close the other ear (in which I would not be using HA) to effectively tune the HA or otherwise ? (4) What is better - Whether using ear molds (it is painful) or simple open fitting(comortable)

Thanks in advance.

SL on an audiogram means ‘Sensation Level’ … nothing to do with ‘slopes’.

Here’s a useful site which explains the different “slopes” that are represented on an audiogram:

http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/articles/kindsofhearinglosses.htm

A “cookie bite” loss is loss primarily in the mid-frequencies. A “ski slope” loss would be loss of high frequencies, with reliance on low frequencies.

Basically, slope is just a quick visual description of the type of loss present on your 'gram.

KD