Picked one. How'd I do?

Newbe here. I did not know this site existed. Nor did I know about buying Aids off the internet…So, I ended up chooseing the Unitron Element 16 Moxi. This is not the larger older Moda but rather the new smaller one. How do you think I did? Was it a good Brand/Model?..Thanks;NE

Unitron is a very good brand, owned by Phonak and have great products. The micro products work very well and are a good value.

Please post to let us know how you do with the new aids.

Hi, I am just a little more than ‘2 weeks old’ with HA in both ears. First off, let me say how much I appreciate this forum site - I stumble upon this in my journey in coming to terms with my hearing loss (mild in mid freq and moderate in the highs) - and find this site informative, encouraging and a place to share and learn from each other. This is my first post - in light of a question concerning Unitron Element product, I think it’s time to share my experience.

Mine is a Unitron Element 8 Moda open-fit(with thin tube) BTE model - the Moxi is their super tiny BTE model. The Element 8 is mid range in its family with the Element 16 being the highest and including all the features in its class.

My experience has been good. I particularly appreciate the following features simply because they work - noise manager (noise cancelling), wind noise manager , Anti-Shock (suppress sudden loud noise, eg. door slam). I am a Systems Administrator for a Marine transportation company. Sometimes I have to be at the ship docking yards where the maintenance are going on - drilling, metal clanking, wind from the river side, and even the sudden slamming of hundreds of containers as the locomotive rolls its engine (the rail track is right across the road from our office) - all kinds of dreadful noise that can overwhelm a regular HA wearer without these features.

The Unitron Element has 3 presets. Mine is : 1. Auto-mic - auto switching from omni to directional mic with little noise cancellation for quiet settings with adjustment for my range of high frequency loss 2. Group/Noisy - directional with noise cancellation with adjustment for high frequency loss 3. Easy-T - for use with telephone with T-Coil.

So now, I use the 2nd setting with noise cancelling most of the time. On the first week of use, I did not quite like the initial Group/Noisy setting - I think it was a factory default - the noise cancellation was set too aggressive requiring high signal to noise sound source to carry amplification : I cannot hear my wife’s voice clearly even if she was quite across the restaurant table. After the adjustment to go easy on the noise cancelling in this 2nd setting, I am hearing her comfortably in noisy environment again and I am happy.

I went through a non-profit organization assisting the Hard of Hearing community and find my audiologist knowledgeable, friendly and attentive to my needs. After analysing my hearing loss through several tests with special purpose instruments and facilities, I was diagnosed with sensorineural hearing loss from mild to moderate in the high frequency range and was suggested 3 HA to consider. My Audi let me know that he does not earn any more salary from whichever one I decide. My 3 choices were the :

1. Phonak Una
  2. Phonak Extra
  3. Unitron Element 8

I did lots of research and that’s how I came across this very useful site as a new(and bewildered) HA solution seekers. As Admin has mentioned, Unitron is owned by Phonak. My limited opinion is that Phonak products are the ‘tried-and-true’ solid solutions whilst Unitron does go for some ‘technology frontier’ features which will no doubt benefit the whole Phonak/Unitron product family later upon successful market testing (that’s not to say the Phonak is not technologically superior - they are, in their own right, just that Unitron is still very much autonomous and their emphasis are just different).

I do not have experience shopping for HA over the Internet. After visiting the Audi’s office, I realise that I will miss lots of valuable testing and examination that only a personalized service can give. Maybe I’m lucky.

Right now, I am happy in that I’m adjusting pretty well to my having to wear HA - I’m 50.

All the best.

YVR, good luck with your new HA’s. I have to wait another week for mine. And yes this is a great site to learn!!:smiley:

I need some adjusting to mine, I know. That will be done on Dec 6. Loud noises (like the door slam) come right through. I do hear wind also. My whole unit sounds like a young childs $4 portable Kereokie Player. Loud and shrill with no mid-range or bass.:confused: :frowning:

Most people with a high-frequency hearing loss experience the world as “high-pitched” or “tinny” at first with hearing aids. Not to say that there may not be adjustments that will make that better, but if you haven’t experienced amplification before, your brain is telling you that you are hearing too much high-frequency. (which you are relative to what you heard before) Within a few weeks, your brain will stop telling you that everything is too high-pitched and the sounds you are hearing will become more natural. In the meantime, it is probably best to proceed with the adjustments next week and have your Audiologist reduce your gain and/or high-frequency output.

Good luck.

you need to get REM, make sure u arte getting what you are suppose to get
as fare as gain

Make A Vaporizer

What is REM??? I have frequency loss in the speech frequencies and not the high frequencies.

REM- Real Ear Measurements- aka Probe Microphone measurements: It is a system with which the audiologist can measure, in the ear canal, how the hearing aids are functioning. A small tube is inserted into the canal with the hearing aid and speech and/or noises are played. The output in the canal is usually displayed on a computer screen. This way the person fitting the devices knows what the hearing aids are doing and how they are fit to your prescription.

REM can be a starting point but may not be the final setting of the hearing aids since the pure tone signals used during the test can indicate an error up to 10 DB different than voice harmonics.

High frequency hearing loss refers to frequencies usually above 1000 Hz. Although the fundamental frequency produced by voice is between 220-450 Hz (depending on whether the voice is that of an adult male, female, or child), the voice also produces harmonics above that range which gives the clarity of speech. Usually frequencies below 1000 Hz gives the loudness and frequencies between 1000-3500 Hz gives the clarity.

If a certain frequency is over amplified in relation to other frequencies, a tinniness sound could occur. Also a hearing aid may be set to allow you to hear 0 DB sounds below 1000 Hz giving you a loudness that you are not accustomed to.