Phone Clip+ broken, need advice

OK, the little clip on the Resound Phone Clip+ has broken. This is the part held on by the pin. The pin is fine and the spring is fine. It is just the plastic clip that moves when you press it, to open the “jaws” of the clip. The other “jaw” is fixed to the body with a swivel and it is also fine.

So the only problem is the black plastic clip that is held on with the pin. I have taken it off and put it back on and it is very easy to swap. It is easier to replace than re-casing a BTE or RIC hearing aid, just to give you that perspective.

I have contacted several vendors, including Costco where I bought it. I’m basically hearing the same thing from all of them. Apparently Resound is telling them they will not sell the clip part or the entire case. I can send it back for repair or buy a new one. The best price on a repair so far is $139.

To re-case the Phone Clip+ should be very cheap, like re-casing a hearing aid. There is a design flaw with the clip that causes this to happen. This is the second time it has happened to me and the first time it was out of warranty but they covered it anyway, out of goodwill. That was at about the 1 year and a couple of months time frame (one year warranty). It has been about a year and a half this time.

Many of you know I have been pretty pro-Resound because of my results but this kind of disingenuous treatment really turns me off Resound.

Does anyone know of any other way to repair this, or get a new case, or a used case for a Phone Clip+?

Are there manufacturers who do not deal in this manner on minor repairs?

Have you tried calling ReSound customer support yourself?

My problem was just a setting on the iPhone, but they were quick to answer and the lady I spoke with was very accommodating.

If esthetics isn’t a problem. You could pick up a plastic clip and epoxy it on. Amazon should have a variety to chose from.

Don- The “alligator clip” on my Phone Clip + broke off long ago. Like you, I wear the Phone Clip + around my neck, so the broken clamp itself served no purpose for me anyway.

I went to Lowe’s plumbing department and bought a small pack of black “O” ring washers. I inserted a washer onto the spring retainer on the phone clip + , and then threaded the necklace “shoe string” fabric through the “O” ring.

I like the clip better now than before because it now fits against my chest.

How did you attach the o-ring to the spring?

Here is how I’m currently rolling.

My issue is, we shouldn’t have to cobble these things together with o-rings and rubber bands when a $5 case would solve it.

It is a design flaw. They should solve it or at least help us get along with it until the next model is ready.

Are you sure they won’t replace/fix it? Somewhere, I heard they are ignoring being out of warranty because it is a known problem.

They did replace it one time out of warranty, but it was just a few months out of warranty. Now, about the same time has passed and that one has broken.

They will be glad to fix it now for $139 (Costco) or $150 (Lloyd’s) so I’m guessing the Resound price is $120.

Sell me the part through a dealer and let me fix it, or sell my dealer the part and let them fix it. They are pricing the repair as if it were the electronics that needed replacement (still at a high price). They don’t do it that way with hearing aid cases. They are swapped around like they were nothing.

The spring fits into two opposite small holes within the plastic case and is held by the opposing pressure generated by the spring - much like a watchband fits on a wrist watch.

Hi I had the same problem. 2 units returned with broken clips and replaced free of charge by Resound (2 year guarantee) 1 x unit repaired by Age concern (possible just changed out ) free of charge.
The last unit hat the clip broke on i warmed up the remaining swivel part of the clip and bent it upright at 90 degrees. I then attached a normal pass clip lanyard. No more broken clips, but i can only use it with the lanyard.

Resound are no help at all after the guarantee runs out. Big shame.
Regards Ian

— Updated —

Hi I had the same problem. 2 units returned with broken clips and replaced free of charge by Resound (2 year guarantee) 1 x unit repaired by Age concern (possible just changed out ) free of charge.
The last unit hat the clip broke on i warmed up the remaining swivel part of the clip and bent it upright at 90 degrees. I then attached a normal pass clip lanyard. No more broken clips, but i can only use it with the lanyard.

Resound are no help at all after the guarantee runs out. Big shame.
Regards Ian

This is not good news. I choose Resound instead of Phonak partly due to the clip. I did not like the lanyard setup with Phonak, plus the clip is included with my new (not yet received) BTE HA’s. How can I ensure the clip will not break?

Well, I love the Phone Clip+ functionality. I have all my devices connected to it and it helps me understand things that I would not otherwise, especially connected to devices with crappy speakers. But, the clip will break. I’m holding mine together with a rubber band and it still works fine. Not sure what I’ll do from here. I could just get it repaired for $139 and chalk it up to the total cost of ownership, $205 to purchase, one free out of warranty repair, and one $139 repair, spread out over 3 years. It’s just the principle of the thing, paying $139 to re-case a simple thing, from a company that provides cases so people can re-case their electronics all the time. My hearing aids were re-cased because my preference was to have a different color. No charge.

Check out Amazon, etc… loads of small mp3 and phone cases with clips might find something that will fit.

This would keep me in business for a while, if I could figure out how to attach it. I may eventually take all the existing clip parts off and superglue something like this to the swivel. I can drill a hole for the lanyard or run it through the jaws similar to the original.

Set of 20 for $6.60.