Phonak vs Widex for music quality

Thanks. I was not aware that the ability to program was available for users.

I completely understand as I got my PCP to write me a prescription for my autoPap that specified I was to have he technician/programmer’s manual. There were several parameters that I changed that made it much easier to live with.

Hearing aid tech has advanced tremendously over the past few years. So I wouldn’t trust anything from even 4 or 5 years ago. Newer modes are much better than previous ones.

I don’t have Widex available locally, but I got aa pair of Phonak Audeo P90’s and am very happy with the results. They automatically switch into “music mode” when music comes on, and I don’t hear any artificial artifacts - just better perception of high frequencies.

Not really. Tech is much advanced since then, also from other brands

Phonak’s Autosense Music program is not real reliable, you should have your audi set up the aids with the Phonak music program, and you’ll be even more impressed.

The Phonak Paradise line has improved over the previous generation. I agree.

What program are you referring to? I looked and couldn’t find something like that.

I think flaskb1024 means that you should have a seperate program set aside for music which will not be subject to Autosense’s whims. Autosense is not very reliable at choosing the best program.

Here is the list from Phonak.
It’s under Additional Programs.

Hi Psych1 - always enjoy your posts and comments. How does one deal with Real ear Measurements in a DIY environment?

Well you don’t, you can use in-situ which a lot of people find better then just entering ones audiogram, but REM is not the holy grail of fitting, it’s just another tool in the “toolbox”

2 Likes

I’m still new, and REMs seem to be “the only way” for a lot of people. I had a fitting recently with trial phonak and REMs and I like the widex fitted without REMs better so far, at least for music production. however, the widex are open domes and the phonak are closed, so it’s not apples to apples.

I don’t know, but they still complained about how they sound and a lot are unhappy, you’ll see a lot of them here on the forum, and yes as you’ve noticed Widex has Sensogram, no REM needed, so regardless of open or closed domes, mind you it’s very easy to simply change the dome to closed and increase your " pump up da bass" for music.

while that’s true for streaming directly into your ears, mixing music on front of studio monitors AND putting in closed domes would mean you are subjected to the frequency response of the hearing aids - which with widex M receivers is 100 to 10000. You’d be blocking above and below that. and there’s a lot that goes on below 100 -bass and bass drum for example. This is all new to me, but I’m trying to think of the best path forward.

Well you have hearing loss in those very frequencies, so you have to try and reproduce them somehow? So HAs and, say good quality headphones then, I believe you’ll get below and above the quoted frequencies anyway, have you tried it, if your a “mixing music” DJ you’ll have some pretty good equipment to test this, a very simple tone generator from here if you wanted to as well.

https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

1 Like