Phonak users who DON'T use autosense

I, too am critical of Autosense. I think it’s a great pity that we are paying for a system which the manufacturer has put many hours of R&D into and then we disable it because it doesn’t perform as claimed.

1 Like

Yes, why are you? Why not just buy the essential level?

1 Like

I have both M50 and M90. I agree that Autosense doesn’t have so many choices with the M50 and so it shouldn’t change to unwanted programs so much. However, I still find that the M50 jumps to Speech in Noise too quickly for me. I would adjust this in Target by slowing down the reaction time but this would have the effect of slowing down the response time to go back to Calm Situation.
Overall, I have a preference for the M50 but it is a 13T and I like the rechargeables in the M90.

2 Likes

There is no such upgrade, paradise is Autosense 4.0 and Lumity 5.0. Unfortunately, this is how they force people to buy new hearing aids for some upgrades. I’m sure Lumity has the same chip as paradise, it’s possible that on paradise they just blocked some features on the chip software, because it’s not worth making a new chip every time for new hearing aids.

1 Like

I use the automatic program and If I need a constant environmental sound then I can change to the music , calm or noise manual programs via my phone

thanks.
Bottom line–I just want to be able to hear as well as possible with the hearing aids I have.

I expect them to make improvements with each generation of hearing aids. I shall be due for new hearing aids in about 3-1/2 years. My first Phonak hearing aids were miraculous for me. The audiologist was key.

I don’t have computer skills; I have an iMac that’s old. I would have dipped into self programming if I had a pc.

I appreciate your response.

DaveL
Toronto

In case you are willing to give it a go… you can install Windows in your old iMac via Bootcamp, and buy a legit Windows 10 license key from online stores for about US 20-25 (such as G2Deal or Prime Tech Mart).

1 Like

I am quite technical @e1405, at one time I would build my own PC’s from scratch, no need nowadays, after Apple iPads came along, they could do everything I needed… you mentioned Bootcamp, I have an older iMac 2015, 27in Retina, i7 processor, 32gb of RAM, on the Apple OS, it’s still very quick, but with Bootcamp, you could make yourself a coffee waiting for programs to load!!! Unbelievably slow everything, including the Web… I still use Bootcamp occasionally, to run Noahlink wireless though, but I have Target also on a windows 11 laptop, windows 11 is a blazingly fast OS, I also have an M2 MacBook Pro, I may try Bootcamp on that, it is also an absolutely lightening processor… But, in all truth, my old faithful, the ubiquitous 12 inch iPad Pro, is usually my weapon of choice, must be at least 7 years old now, replaced the battery about 3 years ago, I will shortly need to do this again… cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

You can see that I am unable to uncheck AutoSense 5.0 I probably will figure out how to deal with AutoSense eventually, but I really don’t like what seems to be to be random introductions of faint static. I’m thinking it Autosense is doing something, (checking something) and then gives up and the static disappears again. Particularly unsetting listening to music in the car.
If I can’t disable AutoSense, can I eliminate all the programs it can change to? I guess I’m a control freak . . .
Big John

1 Like

You cannot disable Autosense but you can choose not to make it your default start up program. In Target, click on Device Options at the top and then click on Startup at the bottom of the screen. You can then choose Autosense or one of your manual programs as the startup. Of course, if you don’t use Autosense you will need to set up your own manual programs and they will show up as your startup choices.

3 Likes

Unfortunately Apple has discontinued bootcamp for the new ARM processors (M1 & M2). Btw, Windows 10 used to run smooth and very fast in my old macbook air (2013). I traded it for a M2. At this point I think there is no way to run Genie 2 on these ARM machines.

1 Like

@Gilbert you can see that AutoSense is greyed out and cannot be deselected. Any other thoughts??
Big John

@Big_John. That’s because Autosense is your only option at the moment. If you go to the Fine Tuning tab you can add some programs of your own and then they will appear in the box of startup choices (Along with Autosense)

4 Likes

Gilbert is right.

My start up is Calm Situation. That’s how my Audi set it up.
I have:

• Automatic
  • Calm Situation (start up program)
  • Speech in loud noise
  • Speech in 360 degrees
  • Speech in car
  • Restaurant
  • Music

in that order

The Genie software will still run, ARM effects the Noahlink wireless, there are other emulators you could use, VMware Fusion and Parallels and maybe even QEMU.

1 Like

@Big_John In Fine Tuning tab, hit the plus sign next to Additional Programs. On the left side choose Calm Situation and then on the right side choose Linked Program. This will link your new Calm Situation to the automatic one so you don’t have to modify them separately.
Now go back to Device Options and the Startup should offer you Automatic or Calm Situation. If you select Calm Situation your HA’s should stay there forever.

2 Likes

@DAveL
Do you feel like you are missing anything by not using AutoSense?
Big John

1 Like

Yes. It was a rushed change as I was going out the door during my last appointment.

So I cope (until next appointment)

Put my hearing aids in.
Turn my phone on.
Go to the HA App.
Select autosense. And increase the volume one notch. That works until I have a problem hearing. Then … well.

I tolerate autosense almost. But the Scottish side of me says that WSIB paid for it. It had better work.

I have mask programs saved. One for Quiet. One for noisy environments. They were set up following the Phonak advice for users so they might hear better when listening to someone who is wearng a mask. Changes there really help me with my hearing loss/audiogram.
BUT If I use that all day my rechargeable batteries die.

I could say more; but I’m on the edge of a rant… :frowning:

DaveL
Toronto

Thanks @DaveL Good info here. Will tinker and fiddle. Later I might tweak!
Big John

It turns out that my problem is not Autosense per se. When I am Bluetoothed to my phone for both streaming and phone calls, I have been getting five seconds of faint static every time I change Apps on the phone, or even take an action within an App. I am pretty sure it is a case of The Lumity HAs listening to the speaker behind my right ear for input. I can turn off this annoying feature by disabling Bluetooth for streaming and just using Bluethooth for phone calls.

I am hoping someone can tell me how to disable the microphone part of Bluetooth streaming. I don’t talk to any of my Apps, I only talk on the phone. I would love to have streaming in receive only mode and phone calls in two way mode.

Thoughts?
Big John

1 Like