Phonak user going to Oticon Opn or Resound LiNX 3D

I have used Phonak for years, but recently disenchanted with Brio from Costco. I admit that it may be with Costco personnel’s ability (or inability?) to resolve issues. Issues are decaying hearing over last year or so with left ear far worse / profound loss than right and right decaying. Biggest problems show up in various settings, but especially with hearing and understanding (word comprehension) in normal conversation with wife/friends, watching and understanding speech on tv, and particularly in noisy environments (restaurants). In restaurants it seems that everything is of same amplification and runs together. Watching tv is improved with tv link, but I still find myself fiddling volume control constantly, trying to find less fuzziness/ distortion. I have read comparisons of these two devices on this forum, and I have read many of your comments.

I am still undecided between these two devices (or another) and am looking to your comments to help before taking a $3K to 4K dive for new HAs. Do any of you have same /all issues and found good HA solution? Do any of you use these HAs with full molds (has been recommended to me)? It appears to me that Oticon Opn maybe less effective in noisy environments…or can you adjust on the fly to attain a better solution?. It appears that Resound has more self controllable options via phone program or other. Is this helpful in working one’s way through various environments? It appears that there are similar optional accessories, but not clear which are best dollar for performance tradeoffs. Can you help? I am sure I have many more questions, and hope not to sound like a “laundry lister”. I do hope you can help with personal experience based answers/comments. Thank you in advance.

We really need to see your audiogram to be able to help you better.

I agree with the other comment in that your hearing loss would have to be considered before telling you that you need a mold. I will say that I make molds for a majority of my patients now as it is a custom solution and I personally like to tailor things to each of my patients. The iPhone solution that has the most adaptability is the Starkey Halo. You are able to change programs (I typically have 4 programs in the instruments- 1. Normal 2. Noise (restaurants/meeting) 3. Outdoors (car) and 4. TV (or music)) and volume as well as create 20 extra programs tailored to your listening needs in different environments. You can also geotag locations that you have created a personalized memory for so that when you arrive at a geotagged location, your hearing aids switch automatically to your personalized settings.

With the Oticon OPNs, you can change memory and volume but I do not believe you have personalization.

With ReSound you can change volume and programs and adjust treble/bass settings but again no personalization.

I hope this helps. Thanks

I’d suggest being less focussed on which device you want and more on finding a provider that you trust. Once you’ve accomplished that, then he/she can make a recommendation.

UPdated. Audiogram now included in profile.

I agree with @MDB. Finding a provider that you trust is one of the most important parts of the hearing rehabilitation process. Once you find that person then discuss your options.

Updated with audiogram in profile.

Considering audiogran (low frequency hearing loss) i would recommend custom molds.

I would say that this is not an accurate assessment of the OPN. While the OPN doesn’t try to eliminate noise in a complex environment, I would say that it is pretty effective in improving speech clarity in a noisy environment.

What does that mean? It means that if you can focus on the speech and tune out the noise, you should have good speech understanding despite all the noise around you. But if you want all the sound around you to be blocked out so that you will hear the speech in front only, then the OPN is not for you.

What you need to consider is whether you want to hear more sound or less sound and based on that, make your choice. Not all sounds around you are necessarily noise. If a waiter comes up behind you and talk about menu choices or whatever, with the OPN, you should be able to hear that waiter better than something else that blocks out sounds coming from behind you.

Or if you have multiple speakers around the table, the OPN will let you hear all speakers around the table and not just the one in front of you only.

Your hearing loss is not an easy correction. What other have experienced with different brands will probably not have much bearing on how you will do. There are likely cochlear dead regions with the amount of high frequency loss your audio shows. The advice given earlier about being less concerned with the device and finding a proficient provider that you feel comfortable with will give you the greatest chance of success. The frequency lowering capability of Phonak would probably be an advantage for you. Realistic expectations are needed but with the trial periods available today, you should be able to find improvement. You are the only one who can determine if it is enough improvement to satisfy you. There are a lot of good devices on the market today, it can be harder finding a good provider.

Thank you Volusiano. I will likely try these two…and maybe another. I really struggle in noisy rooms, but always willing to see what I can improve.

I absolutely agree with comments about the provider. I have worked with the same one (audiologist associated a highly respected ENT) for some time, but sensed that that person dropped interest as soon as I said I was not immediately interested in buying one of their high end solutions without longer test run and opportunity to test in various environments. Seems too many of them are motivated by $$$

This is due to your aids not being properly adjusted. Over reliance by the manufacturer on compression, which muddies the sound.

But to answer your Resound questions I have the Resound Enzo aids - if you have a profound loss, these are the ones you should get. They are not simply an aid with a bigger power amp - they are designed as high power with a receiver that will handle to power. The Resound SMART app (for iPhone) is OK. It’s main thing is that it can localize volume / bass / treble settings made within the app. For instance, if you go to a particular restaurant and you tweak the bass and treble, the app will remember the coordinates of the restaurant and automatically recall and apply those settings the next time you go back. The iOS built in hearing aid adjustment app (Triple tap the home button) works fine for switching programs and volume control,but that’s all it does. There is a small bug in iOS still, that sometimes will misroute the direct to aids audio to the speaker, but iOS will switch back to the aids by itself.

If you have a profound loss, I suggest trying a sealed earmold, to reduce feedback. I am not a fan of anti feedback and noise reduction, because they will often cause more problems than they are supposed to fix, like when music is present, or the ambient noise changes, which causes the sound processors to hunt. And you wind up with the problems you are experiencing. At best, have the audiologist set them at minimum, and, in the case of Resound, minimize the “environmental adapter”.

The Resound aids have a built in self adjustment feature that works pretty well but tends to be a bit off in the bass- either too much or too little.

Just clarification. The Enzos are BTE, right? When you mentioned the more powerful receiver, I immediately thought RIC, but I guess BTEs have receivers (speakers) too?

Sorry, I should have made that clear- yes they are BTE aids. BTE’s have the speaker (receiver) in the case… I wish Resound made a RIC high power with the same receiver, though.

Unfortunately the size of the receiver plus suspension makes it unsuitable for RIC if you look at the botch Widex made of mounting the receiver on their Super-Power RIC unit, you can see where this is a problem.

The Enzo is one whopper of an aid. The 998 uses a 475? Battery. This means that battery lasts awhile. I wanted the Enzo rather than the Linx3D just for the longer battery life, but my loss is moderate/severe. The Enzo did not take kindly to being throttled back like my audiogram required. All I can say is that if you have profound deafness, Resound has you covered with a very good hearing aid that has all the modern amenities.

98 uses 675! the 88 uses a size 13 like I do.

675…I keep wanting to say 475… thanks

you’re very much welcome! :wink: