Phonak unveils Virto Black at CES: a fully-connected hearing aid shaped like a hearable

Well I like plenty of choose, and even thought I use Apple devices at this time it was not my first choice. My reasoning is because that the iPhone worked with the hearing aids that worked the best for my needs. But now there are other aids that I am hoping will work for my hearing needs that will not be limited to just apple or android but both. You see I hate being limited to one hearing aid and one phone choice. I personally do not want to see any of the companies go under. We need them all. And to be honest I hate big companies like Apple, Microsoft, and some of the others they take choices away from us. We have lost most of our small companies that really do the best new products. The bigger companies lose their capacity to really come up with new workable products. They just keep doing the same old thing over and over again. So I believe that cheaper hearing aids are great if they are set up by real hearing professionals. I have seen people lose their health and even lives by self medicating. And hearing aids if not correctly setup will end up destroying peoples hearing even more so than is the normal age related hearing loss.

1 Like

Implementation is likely late 2021 at best. I’m guessing 2022 or later is more likely.

1 Like

Another aspect is that some companies are aiming for a particular profit margin and if they can no longer maintain that profit margin they will simply close their doors and go on to something else.

Then we all are worse off because of it.

1 Like

@cnicklo The Marvels have been out since late 2018 and are still, as far as I know, the only aids that work directly with android phones.

I wholeheartedly agree!

Imho these are too expensive to be considered hearables (and no ai voice activation, nor push buttons), and too big to be considered hearing aids.

1 Like

Both “too expensive” and “too big” are very subjective terms. YMMV

1 Like

They really are just hearing aids and will be the size of a ITE half shell or full shell hearing aids. All custom aids are expensive

2 Likes

Marvel’s are only hearing aids to work with Android phones (in general) is accurate, but Resound Quattro will work with Pixel 3 and 4 series and at least some of the most recent Samsung phones.

1 Like

And if I read the information correctly the resound Quattro will work with the iPhone too.

@MDB Yes, you’re right, the Quattro is the first hearing aid to work with the Made for Android standard using Bluetooth 5.0 BLE and Android 10. I’m sure this will become more common this year. I believe, although I haven’t been able to confirm, that like Made for Apple it is one way streaming, and that the user still needs to speak into the phone mic. Marvels have a mic in the HA, since they use classic bluetooth, not BLE (low energy). I wonder if the Costco versions - I think the Preza - will work with Android.

Everything I’ve heard suggests that the Quattro and ASHA standard just supports one way streaming. Sounds like the new Bluetooth 5.2 LE standard will support 2 way, but I think that will likely be a couple of years before it’s available.

But it is the only one which allows 2-way streaming (iPhone, Android, etc).

By 2 way streaming I meant hands free phone calls that allow using the hearing aid microphones. Only the Marvel has that. The Reound Quattro can stream from both iPhone and Android. It can’t stream directly from Windows like Marvel can unless one uses ancillary device.

1 Like