Phonak unveils Lumity hearing aid platform

Ha. Power of marketting. Resound says %150 increase in speech understanding and people think “great” and Phonak says 16% increase and people say “weak” and both are completely meaningless.

13 Likes

The upgrade is in the software, and the only thing in the hardware is induction charging. Paradise is not outdated, the reason being that Slim, Fit and Life were released this year. all these hearing aids are based on Paradise. If you don’t need induction charging, then there’s no need to panic, it’s not a problem. The focus on better speech understanding is, I think, marketing to attract new customers.

The reason why they came out with this platform is because the new platform is not ready. I have a feeling that they need more time to integrate the new bluetooth, they need to make a new app again because they use a new type of bluetooth. My guess is that they are working on a new hearing aid that uses machine learning like widex or some kind of artificial intelligence like Oticon More uses. Apparently there are a lot of problems with the development of the new hearing aid, so they decided to just continue with the paradise platform under a different name. Maybe they should have called this platform Paradise two.

2 Likes

Again, Phonak has been using AI to train their automatic program since venture. There is no AI in oticon hearing aids–it is used in advance to train the automatic processing, but what’s on your hearing aid is set. Marketting, marketting.

6 Likes

I think maybe they added on an extra 100% by mistake. 150% increase is an increase of 2.5 times (unless my maths is worse than I thought). The mind boggles actually. They’re saying that I’d hear 2.5 times better than I would have done using their previous model. On one hand you think “let me at it!”. On the other hand you think- as you say- what does it mean anyway?

1 Like

Better speech in noise. So what does that make my paradise, crap in noise?

2 Likes

Judging strictly by the video, it looks like they’re induction charging. It also looks like a smaller charger & it possibly has battery power included.

1 Like

Once they burn the AI network to silicon, it takes advantage of all it learned, but doesn’t learn any more. I don’t think that is generally understood, and marketing sure likes to take advantage of the lack of awareness.

WH

7 Likes

Don’t think this has been posted yet. Provides a lot of good info. Interesting that they now have a new “20” level that doesn’t have Roger capabilities and loses other features. https://www.phonakpro.com/content/dam/celum/75097/PH_ProductInformation_Audeo-L_210x280_EN_027-0667-02.pdf

2 Likes

@markoo355

From what I read, the Life is available in the Lumity.

Not sure of others.

2 Likes

Give them a couple years, in the mean time I think you’ll see lumity in the various form factors, but I don’t expect a big pickup in performance. New silicon will come, and then new capabilities in the different form factors.

If I could get my HAs flashed to the new code, I’d probably do it. But I’m not going to be surprised if they don’t support that.

WH

2 Likes

Only rechargeable? I really like how small my marvels 312 are. How much bigger would these be?

I don’t understand why the rechargeables should be larger my More1 rechargeable aids are the same size as the ones with the 312 batteries

2 Likes

Take a look in the chart that I linked to in my previous post.

I agree: a software upgrade would be great, even if it cost a a couple of hundred $$$.

When the Paradise was introduced I sampled the rechargeable ones and thought they where huge. But they might have been the RT version. I chose to keep the Marvels because the batteries would not last me a complete day and also because the problem with static during BT phone calls persisted.
But I am hopeful again that Lumity will finally let me make clear BT phone calls. And curious after the first user experience and how long the batteries will last.

3 Likes

Maybe,but I doubt it as it’s the same chip and BT as paradise, sometimes it’s not just the bluetooth in the HAs that causes your issue, but the mobile phone.

3 Likes

Phonak Target and Media had to be updated to version 8.0.

1 Like

Any chance a firmware version dropped? :wink:

WH

2 Likes

My P70 UP aids has the latest firmware v 1.0.6 and no updates is necessary. Still using Autosense OS v4.0 l’m seeing no changes to my aids.

1 Like

It would be nice, if nothing is fundamentally different between a P- aid and an L- aid in the hardware, to get the new bits. Not that I expect it. But I can wish.

WH

2 Likes