Phonak unveils Lumity hearing aid platform

I too have worn the Paradise aids and recently upgraded to the Lumity L90-R. With regard to your comment about battery life, I have noticed that mine will be around 25% after 14 or 15 hours of wear. Also, the Lumity Model provides a noticeabe improvement in speech understanding, including in a noisy environment, which means less listening fatigue. I really love the Lumity aids!

3 Likes

I know this is a bit late but thought would add this for information.
It is all marketing BS. Human hearing is in dBs and 10 dB higher means you perceive it as double the loudness. The human ear cannot easily differentiate level changes of less than 1dB. So while 4.5dB is not something to be ignored, you are not hearing 2.5 times better but perhaps just 1.3 times or 30% better compared to the previous version of the device.

@bluejay That’s great! I just got a Lumity hearing aid (cochlear implant, other ear) and I love it! I did trial a ReSound Omnia first because of the implant. To me not much better than my Quattro 9. Anyway, you mention you are able to stream/connect both your Marvel and Lumity to bluetooth on an Android phone, can this be done on an iPhone? I’m not saying at the same time when both are on, but while the Lumity is charging, for example. I would think this could be done with a KS9 and a Lumity aid.

I hate switching to my ReSound to andwer calls or stream while I charge the Lumity.

Hey debbie_o, glad you’re enjoying the Lumity aids! I’m sorry I am clueless about iPhones! I only have my Android cell phone, so perhaps someone else here will chime in?

I am indeed able to have both the Marvel & Lumity aids paired to my cell phone, but I only get ONE pair connected at a time when it streams. Works for me!

1 Like

The Lumity hearing aids can connect to any iPhone !

You have to pair the Phonak hearing aids via bluetooth ( 3 pairings ).

https://product-support.phonak.com/s/article/What-hearing-aid-should-be-selected-from-the-list-on-the-mobile-phone?language=en_US

Phonak hearing aids use multiple versions of Bluetooth® for mobile devices (Bluetooth Classic for standard phone use e.g., phone calls and streaming music and Bluetooth LE or “Low Energy” for the app). Some phones recognize each version of Bluetooth as a separate device. In that case, three devices may be displayed when pairing two Phonak hearing aids (one connected via Bluetooth Classic, and two using Bluetooth LE to connect to myPhonak).

Important notes:
Only one hearing aid is connected to the phone via Bluetooth Classic. This is normal.
The names R-Phonak / L-Phonak may be different depending on the settings made by the hearing care professional.

Android™ phones:
The two Bluetooth devices LE_R- Phonak and LE_L- Phonak are for the myPhonak app. They connect automatically when the user starts using the app. Never delete these as this would disable communication between the app and the hearing aids.

iPhone®:
The Bluetooth devices LE_R-Phonak and LE_L-Phonak displayed as “Not Connected” are connected to the myPhonak app. They will automatically connect when the app is opened.

2 Likes

See here

First, be aware that on the phones Bluetooth section you should have three paired BT connections for your Phonak Audeo aids. Two are LowEnergyBT for controlls , and one is classicBT for audio streaming/phone conversation.

• LE_R Phonak HA ( for app control the right aid )
  • LE_L Phonak HA ( for app control the left aid )
  • R-Phonak (classic BT for master aid , usually the right HA).

Check in the phones BT settings.

During the pairing process you should get permission questions for each of the three BT devices. Accept each pairing question for each of the three BT connections. The pairing process need only done once…

Okay I did get the Marvel paired back to the phone and use the aid for calls and streaming while my Lumity charges. When I look in BT, it has both my KS9 and my Lumity aid are now in the BT list of debices. So. Incan switch back and forth easily. So glad I don’t need to put my calls on speaker anymore.

Now, the tough question. On the Phonak app can I have the Lumity and KS on the app, not at the same time. I’m stuck in Auto Sense on the KS9 and don’t want to stay in Auto Sense on the KS 9 while wearing that aid. I’d like to access the profams in the KS 9 when wearing that aid and when I turn off the KS9 and put in the Lumity programs when on the app. You can’t download two copies of the My Phonak app and can’t create a second account or profile. I think I’m going to be stuck on Auto Sense on the KS9’s while my account is only tied to the Lumity and only have the flexibility to .change programs.

Maybe this is a possible solution?
https://www.makeuseof.com/run-two-copies-of-app-android/
Found here:

2 Likes

I understand the app will only allow one pair of hearing aids. If, like me, you don’t wish to use Autosense, it can be removed/disabled in the fitting software. Since I’ve done this, I rarely feel the need to use the app at all. I have my P90s installed on my main phone. I also have both my P90s and M70s set up for streaming/calls on this, and a second phone. Only one set will connect at any particular time however. I have the app on my 2nd phone for the M70s, but rarely use it.
Peter

1 Like

WOW I never knew that. I’m still debating whether to just download the myPhonak app, but I appreciate this helpful tip for if/when that happens. I doubt my audi would’ve told me so,

OK, this may be the million dollar question: if I have TWO (redundant) pairs of Phonak Lumity Life aids, does that mean that only ONE PAIR can be controlled by the myPhonak app? That would be really STOOPID considering how many of us have “backup” aids that we’d also like up, running, and instantly, seamlessly ready to go if we pop them in our ears.

@1Bluejay
As far as I know, sadly

Before you put them in your ears, just pair them.

I need to close the battery doors on my Aids so that allows the App to know my Aids are in pairing mode.

I have to close the battery doors anyway to wear them.

3 Likes

I have my L90’s on the Firm double tap sensitivity, but chewing knocks them out of it and back to Automatic quite often. Annoying when I’m watching TV and the sound suddenly cuts out. Or the odd touch to my hair might do it.

Hi everyone,
are there any rumors about a new phonak device in 2024?
In my opinion there could also be notable improvements thanks to AI.

I love Phonak and I currently have the marvel m90.
I tried the Paradise and the Lumity but didn’t buy them.

I also ask if the Bluetooth of the hearing aids can be turned off, to avoid electromagnetic fields around the brain.
I couldn’t do it with my Marvels.

Best regards

Traditional Bluetooth will not allow more than one device paired at a time. Theoretically the newer LE Audio (not widely available) does, but I don’t know if those HA that do support LE Audio actually permit more than one set paired at a time within their app. I am currently doing my homework in selecting my first HA and this type of issues are rarely mentioned, so thank you for asking. Like they say, devil is in the details.

1 Like

I have Phonak Audeo Lumity hearing aids. I’m not sure how many devices can be paired, but it is several. I’m guessing 6 to 8. They can also connect to 2 bluetooth devices at one time, plus one proprietary device (Phonak tv transmitter or Phonak Roger device).

So if i I’m using the tv transmitter, and my phone or tablet has something to say, the sound from the tv stops, i hear the other device, then the sound from the tv transmitter continues. Its very quick to switch, so usually i hear the whole thing (i dont miss the first word).

1 Like

You can pair more sets/pair of hearing aids with your smartphone, but the App always connect only with one set/pair of hearing aids. All of the manufacturers assume that each customer owns/uses only one pair of hearing aids.

For the app, I use another phone for my backup aids

Peter

Perhaps this is where I got confused. I could never stream anything to 2 separate devices SIMULTANEOUSLY.