Phonak unveils Lumity hearing aid platform

Quick follow up…

Went to a loud steakhouse for dinner tonight with two other couples. This time we sat facing across from each other and I put Lumity’s into the “Speech in Loud Noise” program (StereoZoom 2.0). They actually did really well and I had no issues understanding everyone at the table. I would definitely say these hearing aids provide an improvement in very noisy environments but you still have to plan where you sit in the restaurant to get better results. I can live with that. It will be interesting to see how Resound Omnia does in the same restaurant.

Jordan

9 Likes

In the ReSound Smart Fit software, there is a series of engineered audio recordings of a couple in a bistro with the noise in the recording of equal loudness to the conversation, the same recording with the noise 5 dB below the conversation, and another recording with noise 10 dB below the conversation. The male voice is easy to understand, the female voice much harder, plus a female waitress’s voice that’s easier to understand than the female diner.

If my audi does allow me to trial both the Omnia and the Lumity, I’m planning testing both brands sitting at a fixed position in my kitchen in front of my computer speakers with the same running vacuum cleaner or similar noisy device at fixed distances besides me and behind me to see how well I can make out the voices in the different bistro recordings when using both Omnias and the Lumities.

The goal would be to have a highly reproducible test situation. I guess it’s still a pretty subjective test as I’ve listened to the recordings quite a few times in the past and I won’t have anyone scoring word recognition to phrases I’ve never heard before. Since my annual ear exam and cleaning aren’t scheduled until the end of November, it will probably be at least December before I start trialing any HA. Jordan’s review of the Lumity has been great and I hope other folks trialing either of these HA’s will chime in, too. It will make the time until December go faster! And maybe an Oticon More update will come along, too, in the meantime!

1 Like

I’m really glad the Lumity continues to pleasantly surprise you. May I ask, what factors do you consider when planning where you sit in complex listening environments?

1 Like

My issue is getting scheduled with the audiologist. I had to wait 3 weeks for an updated hearing test. At which point, I ordered my Lumity - choosing telecoil. But I have to wait a month for my first fitting appointment.

Meanwhile my marvels are 4 years old and I struggle to hear increasingly. Cant wait for my 10/26 fitting!

Thanks for providing feedback, everyone. I was holding out with the desire that the next platform might address hearing speech in noisy and challenging environments. So I am glad I waited for Lumity to get released!

2 Likes

I, too, wear Marvels and am in the process of ordering my Lumity. It would be interesting to compare notes once we receive them! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Still In trial with the L90s. Left isn’t where I want it and had issues in a restaurant today hearing my wife on my left side. All in all I’m pleased but will request adjustments when I go in this Friday. Leaning toward the L70.

I have Phonak Marvel 70. And when I hot a new iPhone 12 Pro, I started getting static
On my calls. Audi just said it is a problem
Everyone has and to reboot each day.
Still have problem and have to talk through
The speaker function. My iPhone 8 worked
Fine. I’m thinking about getting the new
Lumity hearing aid and new iPhone if it
Would solve this problem

Any advice

@hayss

Certain phones don’t support certain Bluetooth Bandwidths.

Change it in the App and see if it solves the issue.

My old phone didn’t support Adaptive Bandwidth but my new phone does.

I got static until I changed the Bandwidth.

I have the Junior myPhonak App so will be slightly different to yours. Read the bottom of the picture.

2 Likes

Comparison between Phonak Audéo P-Paradise/Autosense 4.0
Source Link; Phonak Audéo P-Paradise Product information PDF file

• and

Phonak Audéo L-Lumity/Autosense 5.0
Source; Phonak Audéo L-Lumity Product information PDF file
I have circled the new features/new technology.

7 Likes

What follows are a few anecdotal (but non-technical) observations based on wearing new Phonak Lumity (L90s) for the last week or so. Over the last four years I have been using both Phonak Marvels (M90s) and Phonak Paradise (P90s) aids with several issues, and all of these issues have disappeared since starting to use the Lumity aids … so I am thrilled!

In particular:

The daily battery life seems to be improved. I found that when using my previous rechargeable aids, the battery would die after about 12 hours of use. Admittedly, I stream either music or TV most of the day, so I was not really surprised. At about the 12 hour mark, I would just switch over to another pair of aids. With my Lumity aids, I have been able to go from 9 in the morning until midnight, and still have battery to spare!

When taking my daily walks with my previous aids and an iPhone, I would have Bluetooth music dropouts in front of certain neighbor’s homes, but with the Lumity aids this no longer happens. So far I have not had any music dropouts at all. Nice!

When watching TV using the TV Connector and previous aids, the aids would regularly drop into the AutoSense program, disconnecting the TV audio. I suspect that my Apple Watch and some sort of Bluetooth interference was to blame, but never resolved the issue. This interference has disappeared while using the Lumity aids and the same TV connector. Very nice!

Let me know if you are aware of any firmware/hardware improvements on the Lumity aids over previous models that may have solved my issues . Better Bluetooth receiver? Newer version of Bluetooth? Improved battery? The new operating system?

P.S. My only little gripe is that Phonak does not provide a power brick with its Lumity charger (see photo of page from the User Guide). So, see if your audi can provide you with one, if you need it.

1 Like

That’s weird, in the UK mine came with the correct power adapter in the box.

Lucky you. I guess from Phonak’s point of view, eliminating a boxed adapter makes international sales much easier … same box worldwide. This is what the current Lumity Charger Ease box looks like now … no power brick:

twilkins10 - Your last post that I see about your trial of the L90s was Oct. 8th. Did you decide to go with the L70s which you said you were leaning toward (https://forum.hearingtracker.com/t/phonak-unveils-lumity-hearing-aid-platform/70343/331?u=owl1)?

What stood out most for me in your postings about the L90 was your mention that you play acoustic guitar, and that for this you liked the sound of the L90. I also play acoustic guitar, so HAs that do a good job in this way is important to me.

I’m new to HAs, and recently began with just entry-level Phonak Marvel G30s, knowing that they’d probably be poor (and they have been, especially for my guitar playing and listening to my wife’s playing on another instrument).

I’d love to know what you decided. A number of forum members have taken the trouble to point out that the features that come with the higher priced Lumities are not that different from what you get with Paradice HAs. Do you have any thoughts about the need for the new features from the standpoint of playing acoustic musical instruments?

Many thanks!

This power brick is really nice to use with the Charger and many other devices since it comes with all the built in cables you would need and the lanyard/charging cable:

I too have worn the Paradise aids and recently upgraded to the Lumity L90-R. With regard to your comment about battery life, I have noticed that mine will be around 25% after 14 or 15 hours of wear. Also, the Lumity Model provides a noticeabe improvement in speech understanding, including in a noisy environment, which means less listening fatigue. I really love the Lumity aids!

3 Likes

I know this is a bit late but thought would add this for information.
It is all marketing BS. Human hearing is in dBs and 10 dB higher means you perceive it as double the loudness. The human ear cannot easily differentiate level changes of less than 1dB. So while 4.5dB is not something to be ignored, you are not hearing 2.5 times better but perhaps just 1.3 times or 30% better compared to the previous version of the device.

@bluejay That’s great! I just got a Lumity hearing aid (cochlear implant, other ear) and I love it! I did trial a ReSound Omnia first because of the implant. To me not much better than my Quattro 9. Anyway, you mention you are able to stream/connect both your Marvel and Lumity to bluetooth on an Android phone, can this be done on an iPhone? I’m not saying at the same time when both are on, but while the Lumity is charging, for example. I would think this could be done with a KS9 and a Lumity aid.

I hate switching to my ReSound to andwer calls or stream while I charge the Lumity.

Hey debbie_o, glad you’re enjoying the Lumity aids! I’m sorry I am clueless about iPhones! I only have my Android cell phone, so perhaps someone else here will chime in?

I am indeed able to have both the Marvel & Lumity aids paired to my cell phone, but I only get ONE pair connected at a time when it streams. Works for me!

1 Like

The Lumity hearing aids can connect to any iPhone !

You have to pair the Phonak hearing aids via bluetooth ( 3 pairings ).

https://product-support.phonak.com/s/article/What-hearing-aid-should-be-selected-from-the-list-on-the-mobile-phone?language=en_US

Phonak hearing aids use multiple versions of Bluetooth® for mobile devices (Bluetooth Classic for standard phone use e.g., phone calls and streaming music and Bluetooth LE or “Low Energy” for the app). Some phones recognize each version of Bluetooth as a separate device. In that case, three devices may be displayed when pairing two Phonak hearing aids (one connected via Bluetooth Classic, and two using Bluetooth LE to connect to myPhonak).

Important notes:
Only one hearing aid is connected to the phone via Bluetooth Classic. This is normal.
The names R-Phonak / L-Phonak may be different depending on the settings made by the hearing care professional.

Android™ phones:
The two Bluetooth devices LE_R- Phonak and LE_L- Phonak are for the myPhonak app. They connect automatically when the user starts using the app. Never delete these as this would disable communication between the app and the hearing aids.

iPhone®:
The Bluetooth devices LE_R-Phonak and LE_L-Phonak displayed as “Not Connected” are connected to the myPhonak app. They will automatically connect when the app is opened.

2 Likes

See here

First, be aware that on the phones Bluetooth section you should have three paired BT connections for your Phonak Audeo aids. Two are LowEnergyBT for controlls , and one is classicBT for audio streaming/phone conversation.

• LE_R Phonak HA ( for app control the right aid )
  • LE_L Phonak HA ( for app control the left aid )
  • R-Phonak (classic BT for master aid , usually the right HA).

Check in the phones BT settings.

During the pairing process you should get permission questions for each of the three BT devices. Accept each pairing question for each of the three BT connections. The pairing process need only done once…