Phonak Speech in 360

Do we need additional accessory or hardware to use Speech in 360 program ? I want to use it bu my audilogist didn’t add it. She said I need some additional stuff. But in the target software at home I can add the program in the software .

No you just add it as an additional program.

1 Like

Do you have experience with that program?

I tried it when I trialed hearing aids and couldn’t get on with it as it wasn’t focusing in on the right source of speech.

Thanks for answering. I am thinking of trialing it when I go to the audilogist .

I tried this speech in 360 to see if it would help in the car, but it didn’t help in the car, and didn’t seem to help anywhere else either. Or it wasn’t set up properly to start with.

Speech in 360 sounds like another way of saying “music program” - cuz after all, that’s what music programs are set up for: no directionality, no noise reduction, just WIDE OPEN, what I call my “dumb ears” setting. I used to have a dedicated program for music, but frankly, that’s how I wanted my default to sound, so now I’ve got noise management set to the lowest possible level, and the result is like maybe Speech in 325?

It is not a music program and it should not work well in a car. It is looking for voices.

It is “directional” but you can default it to 360. On mine i have it set to default to forward, looking for voices in front of me (instead of 360) and it is very effective for that purpose. I don’t really know where “360 directionality” would be a benefit. You would probably be better off with the everything, number 1 program.

Well GOSH! Here is a whole 'nuther thing I’ve learned about. I will ask my aud-guy about the Speech in 360 when I get in to see him (have app’t for next week … weather permitting). That seems like exactly what I’d want on my Phonaks: some program that actively SEEKS out and even amplifies speech frequencies.

I do recall seeing a long list of program options, but I will find out if the Speech in 360 is available for the Audeo B-Direct model. The purpose of my visit was to start a trial of the Marvels - so perhaps they have it? We shall see!

Thanks for your information!

It is still not clear to me if this thread is discussing how the “subroutine” ‘Speech in 360’ operates in the default, omnibus AutoSense program (along with up to six other ‘subroutines’ [I’m ‘old school’]) for many Phonak users

OR
is discussing a secondary, optional, personalized program in which ‘speech in 360’ functionality is emphasized and therefore has been conveniently/arbitrarily called ‘speech in 360’ for easy use/recognition by one particular user.

Speech in 360° is available with Audéo M90 and M70, but not Audéo B-Direct.

Speech in 360° is a manual program that’s activated by the user when needed, usually in a car environment. It’s not one of the automatic programs used by AutoSense OS.

Yes, of course, thank you. I had jumbled ‘Speech in Car’ with ‘Speech in 360’.
mea culpa (darn, I say that a lot these days!)

I’m not totally clear if Speech in 360 is implemented as Zoom Control and Stereo Zoom or if those are separate things. Here is a description of the previous generation, which would be similar to the current.

From the article – The Speech in 360 feature automatically selects the direction of speech and sends this speech signal from one hearing aid to the other, improving clarity and speech intelligibility without the need for you to face the speaker. What this feature does is focus on the speaker no matter where they are, then the hearing aid with the best signal (hearing the voice the best) transfers the sound wirelessly to the other hearing aid. In this way, you get to hear the voice well and clearly in both ears, even if the speaker is sitting to the left or right of you.

The 360 directionality, which sounds like an oxymoron, does pick up everything but i didnt really like it. Maybe i just didnt understand it at the time.

But I went in a different direction. I cranked up the manual Speech in Loud Noise program and changed the directional program to concentrate on voices ahead of me. So the automatic program handles 85%. The Speech in Loud Noise manual program handles 10%, and the remaining 5% is handled by the front facing directional program.

Other people could handle that in other ways and the premium brands offer some amazing features, but, it takes some adjustments. I don’t think any of them get there with the default settings for noise.

Dangit. I wonder why the B-Direct was short-changed? Maybe it has to do with reserving chip space for the ONE-eared phone streaming? No idea.

It’s so confusing as to what options are out there. On a different thread, a link to all the wonderful things Phonak aids can do listed Speech in 360 among a long list of options, and now come to find out it isn’t even available for my aids?

Grrrrrr…

I have M90s set up with “speech in 360” and “speech in 360 - right”. The regular “speech in 360” detects the loudest voice around me and focuses the mics on that voice. In a room with lots of voices, I can hear it pick out a voice; that voice suddenly gets louder. Sometimes it switches to a different voice; I can definitely notice that happening. The “speech in 360 - right” mode always tries to detect a voice coming from my right side. It definitely works, and is especially useful when I’m driving and my passenger is seated to my right.

2 Likes

you can have your Audi set up speech in 360 to be one program that is automatic, but also allows you to switch to left or right listening ear with a button press. I see this option in Target for the Marvels. May free up a program slot for you…and helpful if you find yourself in the passenger seat!

1 Like

FWIW-- You can also use the app and split the hearing aids volume control.

When driving, I split them and turn the left volume down to minimize road noise & turn up the right side to better hear the passengers in the car.

Splitting also works great in restaurants. If there’s a loud party on one side of me, I split the volume and turn them down to better hear the others at my table better.

So far, I haven’t felt the need for the “Speech in 360” option.

Dave

4 Likes

I like how people are sharing how they use the 360 program. I have the comfy in noise, 360, echo. What other programs and how you use them? What type of environment setting? I would have never of thought to split the 360 mics on the app! Would love to read more about what programs and environment others are using.