Phonak Sound Recovery question

I started my trial of Phonak Naida IX S SP aids today. Just for fun, I went to this site:
http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html
I noticed that I had virtually no response at 2kHz or above. My incomplete layman’s understanding of Phonak’s Sound Recovery is that it is supposed to shift those higher frequencies down to a usable range. Shouldn’t I have heard something?

If I read this test correctly, it is not meant to check out your hearing aids. It’s purpose is to test one’s hearing in a simplistic way. Note that the instructions suggest using closed in headphones. Even using loudspeakers is discouraged. Exactly how did you use this test?

Both. I used the Klipsch speakers attached to my computer and I used Sennheiser over the ear headphones. I understand that it is not designed to test HAs, etc. I only wanted to see how the sound recovery worked.

Big question is has your audi activated the sound recover yet? I don’t know if it will work with your loss. Maybe in the left ear but the right maybe not.

Good question. I will find out.

Tim,

You look familiar (the picture in your profile that is). If you live in Redding Ca. maybe that would explain it?

Anyway, your test with the headphones and Klipsh speakers sounds like something I would do with my Klipsh KG4 speakers :). While your test may have not been conducted in laboratory conditions, I think it is reasonable for you to think that you should have heard something.

Let me explain what I do actually know about the Phonak Spice hearing aids. I own two sets of super high quality hearing aids:
#1) Octicon Agile Pro RIC Mini’s (purchased 1.5 years ago)
#2) Phonak Aude’o IX RIC (provided by the VA about 30 days ago)

If you examine my audio gram at the bottom of this message you will see that I have a significant noise induced high frequency hearing loss.

Since we are just discussing the sound recover feature I will just comment on that aspect of the two devices.

The Oticons’ are absolutely terrific devices and sound great, however they do not have a sound recover feature. Since they were my first hearing aid, I had nothing to compare them with.

The Phonak Audeo’s with the sound recover feature activated, produce what I would characterize as very noticeable improvement in high frequency hearing do to volume. I will site one single example to illustrate my experience. With my Oticon’s, I hear the hourly chime on my watch about half of the time in quiet environments. With the Phonaks, I hear the hourly chime every single time without fail in almost any environment. This functional hearing improvement, is what is important to me and my lifestyle. It makes me feel younger than I am, more aware of my surroundings and noticeably improves my quality of life.

The only slight disadvantage that I have noticed using this feature is the pitch of known and or common day to day sounds. For instance, coins tossed onto a counter top sound more like Chuckie Cheese coins (like soft steel) rather a very high pitch ringing sound.

Tuning an acoustic guitar has proven to be challenging for me with the sound recover feature turned on. So I asked the audiologist to program a music program so I could avoid this problem and that indeed cured the problem.

Those two little things are the only disadvantages I have personally noticed and they really are not much of a problem at all, considering the advantages of increase high frequency volume.

I have messed around with all the functions, programs and features of both the Oticon’s and the Phonaks. For me, the sound recover feature on the Phonaks is absolutely my favorite.

I hope this helps you in some way.

Thanks very much, MKAH.

I don’t live in Redding, but I’ve passed through there many times, usually on my way to Ashland to see friends.

Anyway, I do appreciate your thoughts. These are not my first aids. I’ve worn Oticons for more than 10 years. I wanted to try Phonaks this time, specifically for the sound recover feature. We’re going to try these for a few weeks, then try the Agils.

From your description, I’m guessing that maybe the sound recover is not turned on yet. Definitely a loud clanging when dropping coins or keys. Actually too loud right now.

BTW, I wish I could use the slim tube instead of conventional BTEs and earmolds. However, I will be able to use RITE with the Agils

The effectiveness of SoundRecover will also depend on the degree to which it is activated. It is not just an on-or-off feature, it is adjustable to suit your needs.

Gilbert

with those numbers I would be surprised if they recommend to turn it on.

I think the Agile Pro’s do a better job at managing sharp quick high frequency noise, however the Phonak’s do a better job managing constant lower pitch droning noise (like road noise while driving).

My Phonaks are fitted with “SlimTip” RIC ear molds with a canal hook. They are fantastic. This link shows sort of what they look like without the hook. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkvbBJs8ijs

SoundRecover can only shift down to 1500Hz, so I doubt you will hear much/any benefit even if it is set to MAX.

Agreed. You might do better with a cochlear hybrid device if you meet candidacy requirements.

I do meet the requirements, and was approved for one. But the device is not FDA approved and my insurance company won’t pay for it.