Phonak Roger On

My audiologist ordered a Roger On iN for me this week. Can hardly wait!

WH

2 Likes

Please post a review/impressions when you get it. Will be very interested.

1 Like

Are there any alternatives to the hefty price (+£1400 :scream:) of these Roger On In?
Me thinking, for example standard Bluetooth microphone or others, that works with HA.
Thx

1 Like

There is the Phonak Partner Mic for around £255 ex vat:

https://www.connevans.co.uk/product/27960966/3P0764001P510/Phonak-PartnerMic-for-Marvel---Paradise?gclid=Cj0KCQiAnaeNBhCUARIsABEee8X-SGHpiL-cXHpeO42fzcQXbRCukcdijc4VC7iztaSVwHkIHqvaf2UaAhQrEALw_wcB

This is more something that you would give to somebody though - rather than point it.

There is also the possibility of the cheaper Roger On + Telecoil + Neck Loop - which comes in around £760.

You could try the cheaper Roger Pen - there are direct versions around £500, or the telecoil version - which I’ve seen for around £100 on ebay.

There are possibly other bluetooth solutions from other manufacturers, but I am not really too aware of those. Oticon Edu mic might be one, but I don’t know if that only works with Oticon aids.

@glucas many thanks, how good are they in busy environment?

This is what I am still really yet to establish. I would say I have only really tested them in one busy environment, you can see the review above, but that was only for about 15 min and there was no music. At that point I had only had the Roger for a few days so I was a just expermenting with it. I had it on the wrong volume and I didn’t really concentrate on any one individual speaker. However, I was able to hear some snippets of conversation amongst the babble and when one guy stood up to say a few words to announce the winner of the tournament that evening (tennis) - it was very clear.

I do plan on a couple more road tests in a dinner party type situation but have not had a chance to go out yet.

2 Likes

Certainly. I’m anxious to get it in my hands. She also ordered a battery pack for my charger. Seeing as I am without power at this moment…

WH

1 Like

My Audi got an On for a demo and he let me walk around with it. I already have the Select and a few Pens and I really didn’t see any improvement with the On. Only a very limited test but so far I don’t see any reason to “upgrade”. If you don’t already have any Roger stuff then the On should be a great benefit.

2 Likes

@Psych1 between the 3 (Pen, Select, On) which one do you think gives better conversation understanding in a group and/or noisy situation?
Thx

3 Likes

Pen & Select are different and used in different ways. Select on a table - pen pointing at someone speaking. If I didn’t have them I’d get the On, probably the best of the 3.

2 Likes

@Psych1 that’s what I thought. many thanks

It is the one I asked for. My audiologist hadn’t heard of it yet. When we had our meeting the second time she was glad to order it for me as she had training from the vendors on all the new products and accessories. Can’t wait.

As for which one, I guess it depends on who’s paying for it and what you need it for most.

WH

Yes. The select was actually recommended by my local NHS department and they loaned it to me for a week. I could see it was a decent bit of kit but I think I opted for Roger On iN because I thought it was slightly newer and it had a pointing mode which I was unsure if the select had.

1 Like

Thanks to all - very helpful thread. I’m considering buying some Roger device(s) on Ebay so perhaps someone can answer: (this is for potential use with KS10/Paradise)
1) While Phonak website, Ebay etc. that for the system to work you need Transmitter, Receiver, and compatible HA. For the KS10 the receiver is just what some refer to as software (or license … meaning 2 one for each HA). If NOT bundled with the physical Transmitter any idea of the possible cost for the software/license?
Is Roger Direct Phonak’s naming for a (receiver) license?

1. PEN Model labeling clarification: It seems like there is
    Roger Easy Pen Roger Pen Roger Pen In
    and some refer to Pen with some v(ersion number e.g. 1.1)
    which “pen” would work with KS10?
    What is the sequence/date of pen history & which if any pen models are a great step up in technology versus just a renaming by Phonak of the device?
    In trying to use the PhonakPro.com Roger configurator if I did things correctly it seems that Roger Pen as transmitter would use Roger Direct (as receiver - meaning a license?) to connect to HAs (entered as Phonak Audeo P90-RT which is what the KS10 is closest to).

3) Any idea on battery in pen: Would Phonak be willing to replace it and if so what might be the cost? Any idea of whether a local repair shop (for tech such as smartphone repair shop) might be able to do so? Since I’m looking at Ebay the remaining service life of the rechargeable battery would be an unknown.

I realize that this has probably been clarified in other forum posts and happy if you point me to thread that provides clarity. For me Phonak has horrible pattern of obtuse naming leading to what seems to me significant consumer confusion. Clearly from this current thread, Members had correct understanding of important differences in device models that led to @glucas quickly upgrading his device even though the (UK) seller seemed to have reputation as being very knowledgeable. Bottom line is that Roger devices typically get high grades from users AND that the financial cost is quite/very high.

Again thanks …

@Edma

The Pen 1.1 has Bluetooth which can’t be used with the KS10 as it’ll stop the Aids from working. The EasyPen doesn’t have Bluetooth.

You’ll need a Roger iN device or 2 x Roger X receivers with serial number of 1744 or later and find an audiologist who will install the licenses with the device in the picture.

Costco won’t have anything to do with it.

3 Likes

@Zebras Thank you; since I have started DIY with Target software is the installation of the licenses something that one can do via Target? If so that’d be great to avoid dependency on an audi. I’d be going in direction of Roger IN device.

@Edma

The transfer of licenses isn’t done via Target. You just transfer them by following the instructions on the Roger iN.

If you want to adjust the Roger program, then that is done via Target.

2 Likes

@Edma

https://youtu.be/midyzfwyMmk

Here’s how to install the licenses.

1 Like

1- Do you have to install the licenses on each HA?
2- These licenses can only be installed on Marvel and Paradise platform or could you install them on Oticon HA or other brand?
3- Can you use the Roger on in as a microphone when having a phone conversation instead of the HA microphone?
Thx

1. For the Roger Direct devices like Roger On iN - yes.

2. No - direct versions work with Phonak only. For other brands you would need telecoil + neckloop.

3. Not as far as I know. I believe this was possible with the Pen.

1 Like