Phonak Roger On

Time for an update. I love this thing. I went to a choral concert on Thu night. To be honest, it was a miserable event from my ears’ perspective, and I don’t know what might have helped. Lousy acoustics middle school gym. I tried pointing the mic at soloists, pointing at the ceiling, putting it in table mode on the bleacher in front of me. No joy. I shut it off, and after a little while put my HAs into music program. Least worst. I would have left except a relative was directing the show. :wink:

Last night I went to my oldest’s to hangout after dinner. About 12 people yelling and screaming in an open concept first floor. Including kids stirring up a couple dogs, baby screaming at times, etc. I put the mic on the table and played with the multibeam feature. Freaking amazing! I could hear the different conversations that would normally swirl into a mess and except for a couple times when I could tell no one could hear well, I got it all. I really want to try it in a restaurant like the 99. I usually meet with a friend at one of those on Friday nights, but he’s traveling to be with family for Christmas.

Last feature I had no idea existed. It comes with a 3.5mm to USB-C cable to let you plug it into sound sources. Like my computer, ipod, or even my iphone lightning to 3.5mm converter. So one of the banes of my work has been hearing clearly on zoom. I’ve been calling into meetings with my phone, streaming to HAs. If I connect the HAs to the mac, it dumps the HA BT connection after about 3 sec. If I change the BT “connection for phone calls” setting to fixed, it will connect but be distorted. Sounds to me like it is dropping a lot of the audio packets. This mic just absolutely works. I use the built-in mic on the macbook to speak into the meetings, and the Roger injects into my HAs wonderfully. I have read there is a charging dock that will allow you to connect to a TV or other device, and charge while you listen/watch. I’ll ask for one, I think.

Highly recommend.

WH

9 Likes

@Zebras I second that, the dock should be with the Roger on included in the box, unless you’ve got it from ebay or alike.

The packaging was def phonak’s and there was no room for a dock in the box. Just the mic, cables and charger. They even shipped the manual outside the box. Just a quick start guide in the box.

It came from the VA so I don’t think anything sketchy is going on.

WH

1 Like

@WhiteHat Got the Roger on iN last week, it came with the dock and cables and so on, the manual was outside the Phonak box but inside the big box.
The Roger on iN display was full of scratches and fingerprints (poor QC from Phonak, I guess, not what I’ve expected), but the rest looked new.
Sent it back to the seller, so hopefully, he can send me a new one this time around.
Definitely, there was a dock in the box.

@WhiteHat

Sounds like you’re missing the bigger box.

1 Like

It had the slipcase over the outside just like my HAs , the tv connector and the battery pack did. The box outside, made of Kraft paper cardboard, was as shipped directly from Phonak. In one case they put the Phonak package in a ups shipping bag with label on the outside, the other they put a fresh shipping label over the Phonak shipping label right on the box. Forget which was in the bag, the tv box or the roger.

WH

Oh. I brought the mic to church today. Useless for worship music. Is it filtering/shaping for voice? I had it in table mode on a pew. I put it away and my HAs in music program and I was fine. Then I put the mic in pointer mode on a propped up book aimed at the preacher for the sermon. That worked a treat. I was about 30 ft from the pulpit.

WH

1 Like

My audiologist contacted the Phonak rep. The docks are backordered, and they don’t know when they will be available due to a certain chip they need. At least, that was the story.

WH

1 Like

@WhiteHat This is the docking station:

@Baltazard

Yes @WhiteHat has stated that some are on back order due to chip problems.

Likely if one place has ordered many Roger Ons, you’ll likely get a docking station. If your Audi orders from Phonak, your Roger On, you’ll likely not get a docking station.

Have got plenty in stock.

@Baltazard, Not in the box. Thanks anyway. I think they came up with packaging just for “no dock” configuration since I can’t imagine how it would fit in there. Got a power cable, USB power adapter, a 3.5mm to USB-c cable, and a cable for RCA jack to 3.5mm for the back of the TV. Just no dock.

WH

@glucas

The signal to noise ratio is only better because of the added gain within the receivers/Roger Direct which is 10 dB.

I found out that answer as Phonak say on a PDF, that if you lower the volume on the Roger Neckloop, signal to noise won’t be as good.

1 Like

I think the improved SNR comes from being closer to the source of the sound and/or the improved directionality of the microphones. Just upping the sound that comes to the hearing aids isn’t going to improve SNR.

I bought one for $30 plus shipping on ebay. It came last Friday. I am enjoying it immensely. It came with the full set of brand new cables and another charger with the plastic film still on it. Only thing missing is the booklet. I’ll google around. My Roger On booklet makes no mention of the dock anywhere. Very curious.

WH

This manual is pretty different from the manual that came with my Roger On.

User Guide Roger On

WH

@WhiteHat $30 + shipping for a roger on, that’s a bargain. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

@Baltazard

He paid $30 for the docking station.

1 Like

@Zebras Sorry my bad :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Correct. Just the dock and cables. The seller shipped fairly quickly, and let me bargain down the price a little.

WH

1 Like

“I wish!” Actually, while I’d rather have my “normal” hearing back, the VA gave me my HAs and the Roger On, so that has been nice. I was stiffening up for laying out the cash and fighting with my insurance when the VA claim came through.

WH