Phonak Rechargeable vs Battery-Operated Aids

Thanks. Good post. Good responses.

DaveL
Toronto

RE: profit motive behind moving to rechargeable aids. Actually most aids are under warranty. My audi tells me that he’ll send in my aids for a new battery after two years, and then again just before the warranty runs out. All free. If this is common–and I’d guess getting a new battery before warranty ending–then recharegeable aids may be LESS cost effective for companies.

IT is possible that a drained battery after 5-6 years (assuming at least one free replacement battery) would be an inducement to buy a new aid. so there’s that.

I also wonder if the more fully sealed rechargeables are less prone to needing servicing, other than batteries, than standard battery models. And if making one type is cheaper in terms of assembly costs than having to make two types.

What the heck are you going to use for backup during battery replacement? Eventually, if all hearing aids are rechargeable, then storage of backup hearing aids will become an issue. You can’t just put old lithium ion batters in a desk drawer. They need to be conditioned for storage and then periodically re-conditioned for extended storage. Oh, maybe if you are paying full price then your Audi may provide loaners??

Also-a-Suggestion: Keep track of your serial numbers before sending your hearing aids in for “battery replacement/repair”. Why? I suspect that it’s cheaper for the manufacturer to just send you a new pair of hearing aids as opposed to changing the rechargeable batteries. So it would be nice to confirm this by comparing the repaired (or new) serial numbers that you get back. You may need your Audi’s assistance to read the repaired (or new) serial numbers.

3 Likes

I checked the serial on the one I sent in last year against the forms I signed, and the little window has the same serial, but I can’t imagine it would be hard to change that into another shell. If the electronics in a new one can be reprogrammed with the serial from an old, then that may be what they did.

WH

You nailed it…two weeks turnaround. And Phonak…I mean Sonova Canada is 2 miles away.

DaveL
Toronto

My HA was gone for almost a month. Started failing 26 Nov, and I got it back 21 Dec.

WH

My audi gives out loaners, and I have my old regular aids as backup as well. Honestly, most of these ‘what if’s?’ have fairly simple work arounds. yes, there may be an instance that occurs once in many years that would leave you wishing for battery aids. But the same could be said for the reverse–“what if I’ve gone camping and forgot batteries, and a bear came up and ate me because my aids were dead and I didn’t hear it?” If you’d brought your rechargeables and a carry case, you’d have lived to tell the tale!

p.s.I would have thought that recieving a new Ha instead of just a new battery was a good thing…

2 Likes

U asked my audiologist about is they needed to send in for service. She said they give loaner aids. I know Costco did that for me earlier.

HMm; Just a thought? I wonder if the loaner HAs come with a contract? What happens if you lose the loaners? Who Pays?

Yeah, I asked my audi that. “What if I get these loaners…and a terrorist group kidnaps me, and I’m held in a jail abroad for twenty years…when I’m finally released and get back to the U.S., will an Oticon rep be waiting for me at the airport, wanting their money? Will they arrest me for theft?: See, this is why rechargeables are a bad idea!” At that point the audi suggested I shop elsewhere.

But seriously, my audi just hands me a loaner pair with my programs downloaded and I walk out the door.

1 Like

With Costco I signed a contract for the loaners. If they were lost or not returned I would be charged for them.

I had to sign a contract for the loaners. I was responsible for payment if not returned. I crossed out the part about lost and damage and said You have insurance for that - just like I have insurance for mine.
I understand needing accountability for the aids and keeping track of who has what.

1 Like

it puzzles me why this is still a problem… oh ya phonak the very power hungry platform that is run by monkeys

I feel like this whole thread is losing sight of the main reason we buy hearing aids…to hear better and to understand speech better. If Phonak hearing aids (with rechargeable batteries) provide a significant improvement in speech comprehension, why would you go with an inferior hearing aid just because you don’t like the idea of rechargeable batteries? Seems kinda illogical and overblown.

Yes…I wish my Phonak Lumity hearing aids had an extra 5-10 hours of battery life but they provided me with such a significant improvement in speech comprehension, that I immediately bought them because I did not want to go back to hearing poorly again.

I do get it that some people work long shifts or spend their whole day streaming and that 18 hours of battery life doesn’t work for them. All these other conspiracy theories about Phonak being a greedy corporation are just goofy (IMHO). The hearing aids come with a three year warranty and most audiologists will test them before the warranty is up to make sure they are up to spec. Most audiologists will also provide loaners when you need to send in your hearing aids for repair.

My advice: I have tested many different brands of hearing aids over the years and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Buy the hearing aids that help you hear the best. All the other issues are far less important and easy to deal with.

Just my 2 cents…

Jordan

4 Likes

Perhaps we need our aids to last all day while streaming virtual meetings. Up to 16 hours per charge is not nearly long enough.

I had 2 other reasonable choices that could meet my needs along with a couple of disposable battery options. I chose one of the rechargeable options, taking a chance.

I’m super happy with the 17.5 hrs/day I get in these Lumity Life aids THANKS to this forum and the critical advice to update my cell phone’s OS to Android 13. And like you, I AM NOT GOING BACK TO POOR(ER) HEARING. No way. Despite the kvetching about these not being battery-powered, it’s the noticeably enhanced speech clarity that makes me happy with the decision.

Others may have different criteria (cost, battery life, audi/fitter, programs, sound quality), but mine was #1 these being waterproof (um, that didn’t work out) and #2 enhanced speech clarity (YAY, HOORAY).

2 Likes

I have no dog in this fight. But I do wonder why my question about signing a contract for loaner hearing aids was deemed to be a conspiracy theory or worse akin to getting kidnapped by terrorist groups and such? And then ironically, it turns out that contracts are (in fact) required for loaners.

I’m outta here. I have better things to do. Good luck with your loaners.

Most of us cannot afford 2 sets of aids though.

My apologies! that was my fault. Mea culpa. I was trying to be funny but it came off wrong. I’ll stop! And yes, to my suprise others have been required to sign a contract. So I was wrong AND not funny.

1 Like

No problemo. Though, I will exit anyway because there is not much more to add to this discussion. :smile: