Phonak Problem

I was wondering if anyone can help give feedback of the newest power BTE hearing aids you are wearing. I have a severe to profound hearing loss since birth in both ears and currently wearing Phonak Supero 413 AZ HA’s - both ears. My research has not been very successful finding hearing aids best for the types of frequency loss, contrary to the fact there seems to be more information HA’s for high frequency loss than low frequency loss. I would like to know/hear more about power aids best suited when low frequency loss outweighs the high frequency loss (My loss is about 80% in both ears).

My opinion of Phonak hearing aids is that they are powerful in loudness but that’s about it. I have spent several years sending my aids back due to repairs needed on the telecoil, microphone, and amplifier. Phonak has been good to replace all parts which I get practically receive a new hearing aid each time. Oddly enough, when one HA goes out the other does too, for the same repair. I use the phone a lot in an office so I need power aids that have strong telecoils and can produce sounds that feel more natural rather than hearing that “microphonic” amplification. It feels like people are talking to me from the old '50’s radio box. Yes, these are digital HA’s, and during a period of five years, these Phonak hearing aids have not been able to keep up with me. Any feedback or suggestions on other positive HA’s is certainly appreciated.

Phonak Naida perhaps?

Dylan 73:

Nadia HA by Phonak was recommended by audi but I am skeptical that I will have same problems as Supero. In fact, I am partially deaf now because I had to send one back again for telecoil repair due to a recent adjustment from my audiogram {:mad: }. I have read from others in this forum discuss Nadia problems, making me more skeptical. Do you think Phonak improved microphone technology for the Nadias over Superos compared to Octicon or Siemans? I wish HA manufacturers would also focus on protective enhancements or dependability to telecoil since this is also an important part of the hearing aid.

I just never anticipated that digitals would not be so much of a hassle compared to analogs.

I am far from being expert, but I also feel that digitals are a difficult and sensitive type… key is: it needs GOOD tuning, adjustment - I cannot believe that a Naida or a Supero should be causing trouble as being dangerous because being too loud or harsh or other reason. With proper setting, it must be OK in that sense. This is what I guess…

Good audi is a must.

Now I am testing a Phonak Extra 311 and the first try to make adjustment was not the best, so to say (they cut off too much in the low Hz department) - and this was made mostly by what was suggested by the fitting program, I think.
Now I hope I can have my word in what is to be changed and to what…

You have to able to have a good and meaningful conversation/relation with your audi…

Regards
Dylan73

I’ve had Naidas now for 6-8 months with no problems. They are a great set of hearing aids and I also use the ICOM.

I have also a profound hearing loss and my next step is a Cochlear Implant with Advanced Bionic.
By now, I wear a Oticon - Sumo DM (digital) and some time Sumo XP (analog) both have a lot of power and are very resistance.
For phone try a Cell Phone accessories named t-link, take a look http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/products/earlinks.htm#t_links

I am currently using the Phonak Naida UP aids also. If you read my chats over the past several months, you can see it does take a bit to adjust, depending on the experience of the audi. My audi used me as a guinea pig (I accepted the challenge, so it was my fault), so that was the reason of the little bit of time to configure. If your audio has experience in configuring the aids, it’ll be a great device to have for your loss. I don’t really care for Seimens, since it was my last aid. Octicon, I have not had experience so I can’t give you any feedback regarding this. All I know is the Naidas have a lot of power and have several program modes (5 including auto mode). I also use the Smartlink SX and 2 ML10i receivers to also have bluetooth and FM capability.

Good luck in your endeavor…

Wow, thanks to you all for the positives on the Nadias. I have gone to the same audi for several years now and she is very knowledgeable about Phonaks. I became skeptical after reading several of your responses in this forum. I just want to be sure that I pick the HA’s that keeps up with me with heavy phone work in my job.

Can I also ask any of you about the clarification to discriminate sounds with Nadia HA? Phonak Supero does not hit it with me when it comes to hearing natural speech sounds as I compared to my analogs (analogs are just loud). I recieve more speakerbox audio sounds with Supero. How do Nadias sounds to you?

Again, I thank you very much for your opinions. :slight_smile:

Pedro:

I’ve heard that Sumo is a great power hearing aid. Audi says Sumo is compatible for me but does not have all of the bluetooth goodies like the Nadia. I really don’t care what the aid looks like, I just want sound clarity, less breakdowns and adjustments and bluetooth tech with FM capabilities.

I know I sound like I want it all, but jobs are very scarce and competitive right now, and I just need to stay away from pink slips and be up to date with the hearing Joe. :cool:

FYI, some of the negative responses from the Naidas were because of the beginning stages. As we all get better configurations, our complaints start to become positive responses. You just have to be patient and write down every complaint and sound that does not sound “just right”. I even went as far as recording a video of the problem sounds, so my Phonak rep and audi can take care of the sound issue.

Regarding sound discrimination, I might not be a good candidate to give you a response, as my discrimination factor is pretty much nil. All I can say is there is a lot more to hear than there was from my old aids that were new from 5 years ago. I’m still learning on what the sounds I hear mean and what direction they are coming from. It can be pretty tough…whew!!

Ijjehl:

FYI, some of the negative responses from the Naidas were because of the beginning stages. As we all get better configurations, our complaints start to become positive responses.

Thank you :slight_smile: ijjehl for clearing that up for me to understand. I’m really glad I checked in with all of you for your opinions, and feel better to return back to my audi and get the Nadias for trial. I really think it’s really awesome that some of you are connected to icoms and Teks, and are hands-free to land line phones, cell phones, tv, and MP3 players. Although my priority is to hear and understand better, I can’t wait to see if I can also get connected too. :slight_smile:

Help!

Help! Please let me know (if you have already gone through trail compairson) which HA is better overall (less breakdowns) the Nadia III or V. I know this depends on the user, but I am really seeking quality power aid with a dependable t-coil, and I really like the wireless connectivity over the phones.

I am also looking at the battery size. I assume Nadia 675 last longer than the 13’s. Any help is certainly appreciated.

The Naida V UP has 4 program modes to use whichever.
The Naida III has only 2 program modes plus 2 dedicated to FM and/or T-coil

Here’s the comparison PDF file:

In short, Naida V has more bells to have a better fitting. UP (battery 675) is geared for Profound losses. SP (battery 13)is more for severe losses.

Hope the PDF file helps a bit…

Also the SP can get higher frequencies than the UP, but I’m not sure if it matters for most people with profound losses. Only your audiologist can tell you if you need the extra fequency gain.

I tried the Naidas. I didn’t like them. Currently trying the Azure power by resound. So far I like the overall sound, better.

It seems to sound pretty nice with all the bells and whistles, but it’s not powerful enough to handle my loss…I seem to be borderline with no room for growth on this aid…

Ijjehl -

I just found out that I lost more hearing in the low frequency range and my loss in the high frequency is the same. Sorry, I don’t have stats, but my audi says I have about 75-85% loss on each side. My problem is that I can no longer discriminate verbal sounds with my Superos and hoping that the Nadias can help improve sounds and clarity.

You said that Nadias did not help you. Can you explain? Thanks in advance for your help :slight_smile:

I didn’t mean the Naidas, I meant trying out the Azure from Resound. The Azure is not powerful enough to handle my hearing loss

The main and most important difference is that the Naida V has a directional microphone, the III does not. That is the single most effective tool to help someone hear better in background noise. If someone doesn’t have a directional mic, they can’t complain about hearing in noise.

I’m seriously starting to question my decision to use digital hearing aids, and try and analog one. I’m not sure that the technology has advanced enough. I’m also not sure why you need an audiologist. Why can’t you use the software yourself to “tweak” it.

IMHO, all the audiologist has ever done is change a bunch of settings and say “try that for a while and see if it works”. It never does. And it gets expensive having to pay for each “adjustment”. If you had the software, you could make minor adjustments to each level and analyze it. This is all that the audiologist is doing. Maybe I’m missing something, but it seems like it all comes down to trial & error at the best of times.

Please don’t post twice on the same subject. I answered this question already.