Phonak Paradise to Oticon More 1

@Volusiano : :joy: ME, offended by YOU, Mr V? Never, in a million years! Just funnin’, V … only funnin’!

2 Likes

There can also be medical reasons for this. I believe it is best practice to refer patients to an otologist or, if not available, an ENT to be checked for possible tumors. My otologist examined me and my test results and said my loss, with my latest WRS should be able to be treated with well adjusted hearing aids. The latest thorough test showed a WRS raised by 30% over tests performed elsewhere. They used a higher sound level for testing.

Well, after few days with the Oticon More1 aids I pulled the trigger. The best way I can put it is that when I wore the Phonak Paradise P90 I felt as though I had good hearing aids. With the Oticon I do not feel I have good hearing aids I just seem to hear better. I appreciate the input from the group.

I do not understand. It appears you stated that the Phonak aids are better than the Oticon aids.
I thought the purpose of the aids was to hear better. What do you dislike about the Oticon aids? I am asking because I may need to make a similar decision next month.

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion, the differences with the Phonak aids I am aware of the amplification and with the Oticon i just hear better, more naturally. Overall I feel the Oticon aids provide a much improved experience. YMMV.

2 Likes

Thank you Volusiano for your investigations and responses, especially regarding the NFMI enhancements. I will come back around to your valuable comments. ATM, I’m curious if your talents extend to Starkey? I read the Evolv AI IIC User Manual and it seems to imply that the IIC (new wireless version) supports streaming, yet my audiologist says no. I can’t get a response from Starkey. Here is a link to my two posts about it.

And here is the actual text that got my attention:

Smartphone-Compatible and Universal Connectivity
OPERATIONS MANUAL
CIC (Completely-In-Canal) Custom Products

pg24 | Adjustment
Mobile Phone Use
Your hearing aid is designed to work with a smartphone. When the hearing aid is paired and powered on, incoming phone calls will route automatically to your hearing aid. When your hearing aid is not powered on, incoming calls route only to your smartphone. iOS allows you to select a preference for how audio (call audio and media audio) is routed from your smartphone to your hearing aids…

I’m obviously second-guessing my audiologist, but this quote seems quite straightforward, non?

The text really sounds like it refers to Bluetooth for the new CIC (without the NW designation). It would make sense because the CIC is slightly bigger than the CICnw, so it can accommodate the BT functionality. But the IIC nw and the CIC nw probably don’t support BT.

On the Oticon OWN, the IIC has no wireless features at all, the CIC has NFMI but not BT, and the ITC and up has NFMI and BT.

2 Likes

Also, you can add a Telecoil to some of the larger Custom models (FS, HS, ITC). But when you do, it affects your other wireless connectivity options. Here’s a clip from my research about Oticon wireless connectivity to hearing aid programming devices.
c0

I was fit with the more1s because I’m a professional musician. I need to hear everything so my brain can pick out what it needs to focus. Music texture is layered and complicated. Additionally the sound isn’t tinny. I got mine for like 2k from a man on eBay who has now become my personal friend. He fit them to my audiogram. I find Speech in Noise to be really good for crowded restaurants (my Kryptonite) and mumbly movies and TV shows. Actually mumbling and noisy environs really, really annoy me because my loss is right at your consonants’ frequencies… For me and my needs they are the best.

I tried the Eargo 6s OTCs first. They were so itchy in my ear and the sound was so tinny I couldn’t stand them. I didn’t go from the P90s which I was really looking at. What turned me off about the P90s/KS10s was the direction mic hearing. I want to hear all around me, but that’s just me, I guess.

On another note my eBay guy threw in a NoahLink wireless so I can change programs (Mores have different programs for different environments that you toggle in out of your HAs by programming)
and update firmware on my own. I don’t program my own HAs at this point. Maybe later on.

5 Likes

Obviously, Jim…Obviously>>>>>>>>>>>>>

How come you didn’t copy the :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: in the original post, for context?

I can’t see the OWN aids as inferior seeing it has the same processor as the More aids, the issue is limitations due to the package size of the aids. I have worn IRE aids many years and understand the limitations due to the size of the aids. Only so much can be place in the ear canal

Now it’s you hijacking a thread, again! And you accuse me???
I don’t understand the reference to the original post, since I quoted what appeared to be the snarky context implied.
Oopps, dinner time…later, mate!

1 Like

You take things too seriously. It’s just foolishness and this is only an Internet forum. Why not have a little jocularity with a pretty depressing subject, from time to time?

2 Likes

And thank you very much for that great recommendation and mail forwarding​:+1::+1:

1 Like

I’ve written about this in other posts on this blog. I haven’t read every one of the many comments on this one but most seem pretty spot on.
I had a single Marvel for ~5 years. I really loved it. I upgraded to a Paradis with their new CROS and I didn’t love it. As the author of this blog post also noticed, the “crispy” sounds seemed to be muted. I guess my audiologist isn’t savvy enough because she did try to adjust things but I was missing too much of the little sounds that seemed to be muted. After researching I did learn that Phonak changed their software so it wasn’t my imagination. I probably would have kept that set anyway however the rechargeable battery wasn’t making it through a whole day and this was a true dealbreaker for me.
I decided to try Oticon’s More 1 with their new CROS. I knew more or less immediately after she turned them on that they would be keepers. All the little sounds were immediately back and everything sounded louder. My audiologist (who is not HOH) detests when her patients ask for things to be louder because loudness shouldn’t be the goal, however all I know is I want to hear little things like a printer printing out a document in the room next to me or something. Software developers shouldn’t decide that’s not important for me to hear and train the algos to only hear what should be human speech instead. I get the sympathy on their part but hearing is more than just hearing spoken words, it’s hearing everything that’s going on. In my opinion Oticon has really done an amazing job with the OPN platform and I’ve been a happy customer (again as I had one years ago) for almost 2 years now. Oh, and the battery makes it through all day with no problems. My battery has only gone out once after something like a 14 hour day filled with work calls (streaming), lots of other sound processing (driving around, talking to different people) and heavy TV streaming. Since that is less than .1% of my daily activities I face little to no risk of battery failure before I go to bed. Also, Oticon apparently has made it easy for audiologists to replace the rechargeable battery themselves so when my battery life does inevitably shorten to the point of it being a problem I’ll take them in for a quick replacement and problem solved. Oticon wins in every category for me.

10 Likes

I have the More1 aids and love them. I have been wearing aids for over 18 years and Oticon aids for over 12 years. I have tried Phonak, Siemens, and Resound and find that I like the Oticon sound the best. Resound would be my second choice. I want and believe I need what I call the surround sound that the More1 aids give me. The Phonak aids I tried seemed like I was wearing sound blinders, I couldn’t hear all around me, I live in a forest and walk the trails and need to hear all around me, there are wild animals and the sometimes falling trees.
I am very lucky to have an audiologist that has been willing to spend the time with me, on calls, and doing research to get my aids adjusted so well that I don’t need extra programs, I only have the PO default. It makes my life so much easier. All I need is the once in a while volume adjustment.

2 Likes

Who is that eBay seller?

New-Hearing-Quality

Here’s the link to the more 1s: 2 Oticon More 1 RIC Rechargeable Made for iPhone+App control 64 channels+Charger | eBay

If you want his personal info: just contact me. I don’t want to Dox him here. He’s a close friend of mine.

Musican

1 Like

Just over a year ago I trialed the Oticon More 1s for a week and then did a trial on the Paradise P90-Rs and ended up choosing the Paradise.
Yes, the More 1s had a bit more natural sound and were slightly better on speech but I didn’t like the slight hiss that they emit. My audiologist said she had heard that complaint before.
Also, the way the Paradise works with my Android phone was way better for me than with the More 1s. Another thing was that the More 1s didn’t fit over my ear as well and weren’t as comfortable as the Paradise.

2 Likes