Phonak Naida vs Unitron Moxi 2?

Hello

Apologies if I am not posting correctly - I am a complete newbie !

I was born deaf in the left ear - which is unaidable,(nerve is dead) and with fairly severe loss in the right. I’m sorry but I don’t possess an audiology chart that I can post, I just have a very old graph! I could never cope with NHS aids - so until 1995 I just used to lipread my way through life. Got my first proper digital aid when my eyesight started to fail me… I now wear glasses, too. Such is life!!

Currently, though, I have a Phonak Savia BTE with full earmould - have had this for 6-7 years, and cope pretty well with it. (Got this through my workplace and Access To Work, so it didn’t cost me anything at the time!!) I thought it was pretty great at the time, and still do.

I wanted to upgrade to a Phonak Naida 90, as I’m now semi-retired and can finally afford to purchase one myself… :rolleyes: but I’ve been persuaded to buy a Unitron Moxi 2 (RIC), (after being assured that Unitron and Phonak, being co-owned by the same company, are equals in quality and technology) - and am currently trying it out. So far I’m finding it far inferior to my Savia, the sound quality seems really tinny and clashy, - I couldn’t hear on the telephone, and as for the noisy environment handling, - well…it didn’t. I’ve had it adjusted and tweaked for the telephone handling - it’s better in that way now, but it almost seems as though background TV and music noise goes “bubbly” sometimes. I’ve never experienced that before. Is this distortion? The audiologist is going to try me out with an earmould instead to see if this improves things in general, but I’m just not sure…

Can anyone help with regards to whether the Phonak Naida (the Q90, I think) is the better aid of the two - more importantly, would it give me the sound quality I’ve gotten used to with my now (elderly) Savia? I’ve tried comparing the specs on the Internet - but would really value an opinion from the experts!!

Thanks!

Thistle

First of all - you should forget using Q90 as a unilateral solution. These premium hearing aids are designed to work as a pair and the 90’s contain features that only work with two aids. With one hearing a Q70 is good enough in my opinion and represents a much better purchase (although even this one loses a lot of functionality due to being only one) if you want best Value - Q50 may be good enough (with manual programs and a VC activated)

As for Phonak and Unitron yes they are both owned by Sonova … Unitron reps will always say theya re the same as phonak — phonak never say it though LOL

you havent put your hearing loss up but be aware that many of these RIC’s are fitted using standard algorithm designed for high frequency losses … if yours doesnt fit that profile a change of the formula may be required. I suspect that between Unitron and phonak if the aid is properly fitted either one will do a good job for you.

Have you thought of trying a BiCros instead? Just a thought.

Thank you Mike

I wasn’t aware that the Q90 was pair-specialized, - but now I think of it, - that should have been obvious - it was explained to me that the Unitron Quantum and Moxi Pros were the same - and that it was not worth me going for either of them because of them functioning better as a pair. So the top-end ones are all like that, I expect?

I wore my Moxi 2 for only two hours at home today before admitting defeat - listening to music, there was this horrible bubbly effect again. I’m quite mystified, as I’ve never experienced this before, ever. Funnily enough, my father-in-law is also trying out the Moxi 2 - (he is also of unilateral hearing, having been told years before that his right ear, which was damaged when he was younger, should never have an aid fitted. I’m unsure why, but he does have a note on his medical records to say this.) He was experiencing horrible distortion with an NHS - prescribed Siemens Impact Pro, so I persuaded him to try out a private aid, thus the Moxi. He says it’s much better distortion-wise, and I think he is hearing much better, but he says he is still struggling with background noise interfering.

I’m experiencing difficulties with both distortion and background, but the distortion thing is quite unsettling. The Savia (it’s a 211) has never given me anything like that, and the background fade has always worked well for me. My ultimate testing ground is my place of work,(it is a very busy office, in a large prison) and I have to say the Moxi failed miserably, as I was panic-stricken within minutes because I couldn’t hear on the phone hardly at all. I have a Geemarc hearing-impaired phone, and the Savia copes very well with that. Since tweaking, the Moxi is better, -(it responds with the “phone program” automatically,(Easy -T?) although I have to hold the phone above my ear, which is a bit difficult) - but the background-noise reduction is now no good at all. Re-tweaking required, I think.

I suppose I’m biased towards the Phonak range because I’ve always found this Savia effective, the sound quality is great, not tinny or discordant, and I was keen to find a new-generation excellence, I wanted all the bells and whistles (ie music streaming) as well !
But not with bubbly voices…

As far as my hearing loss goes - I’ve never been given my audiometry graphs in recent years, all I have is a very old record, which I’ve tried to decipher ! Here it is, for what it’s worth…

-250 500 1000 2000 4000 8000
L 110 110 120 120 - all from 4000 off the chart
R 40 35 50 50 60 80

Hope this makes sense - since this graph, there has been a deterioration by about 5, I think, or a bit more, on all.

And hello Seb !

Thank you for responding - Yes, I was really interested in BiCros, how lovely it would be to experience “hearing” in my deaf ear, but I was told by the audiologist who dispensed the Moxi that it was not worth me trying this as it would not have been of any benefit? I don’t know why… - I can understand it’s a bit of an expensive option, but I’d have loved to have given it a go!! It sounds really interesting.

Again, thanks to you both.

In both cases, the Phonak and Unitron have a similar type of sound, but their inner processing slightly differs. Also, the Unitron and Phonak both have CROS compatibility (some inexperienced practitioners wouldn’t know that about Unitron, but it is more costly for you to do that with a Unitron aid). The Phonak Q70 is a great choice as is the Unitron 20 level hearing aids when considering monaural amplification.

Both, in my opinion, have a tinny sound when compared to other manufacturers, but that is simply a preference.

Oh, one more thing, the Phonak aids will default to having their frequency compression being turned on. You likely will want that feature turned off.

You would be the ideal candidate for a CROS system, but keep in mind, you won’t actually hear anything on your left ear, you will simply be able to hear sound from that side in your right ear. Don’t let someone persuade you in keeping something you don’t like the sound of.
Good luck.

Here’s a thread regarding unilateral hearing loss
http://www.hearingaidforums.com/showthread.php?10641-Best-solution-for-unilateral-hearing-loss

note the realization that cross solutions probably should be done with a 13 size battery, otherwise the system will only be functional for 2 days.

I’ve looked at the unitron site and do not see the tandem available in the US anymore. is there an alternative to this?

IMO unitron is a great company but their aids appear to use the last generation chipset used by phonak.

Also I want to add that avoiding the highest level phonak maybe a wise frugal thing to do, but you get more channels in the highest level. level/channels q90/20 q70/16 q50/12 q30/8
Channels only makes the aid sound more pleasant in quiet situations. It does not help at all when hearing in noise. This may not be relevant to a new users. To old users we can actually tell when there are more channels.

Thistledowner, please post your audiogram in your signature.