Phonak Naida V UP keeps dying on me

Hi all,

I had 2 x Phonak Naida V UP fitted last July 2010.

To date, it has failed on me three times including this morning.

1st time - BOTH of them died on me at the same time when I switched them on in the morning. Took them to the hospital, they had no idea why. So they replaced both of them.

2 months later, BOTH died again. Same issue as above. Replaced again.

This morning, the left hearing aid died. Once again, same issue as above. The right hearing aid is fine (for now!) and will be planning to go back to the hospital again.

My questions: Why is this happening? What cause for them to die? How do I stop it happening again?

Before you answer…

1. It has never been rained on, got wet or sweated on. I always take them off.

2. When I go to bed, I put them in the box which they came in.

3. Batteries are brand new, tested and shows that it’s 100% new.

Thanks all.

First, I’ll say I’m sorry your having so many problems with new hearing aids. Phonaks are generally considered to be fine instruments. Hard to say what could be going on if they have never been wet, etc. But, they are electronics and they are exposed to your body heat, sweat, hair spray, greasy kid stuff, etc.

It is a bit unusual that they are going out so fast. I have a worn couple of different brands and haven’t had that many issues in years of use.

Good luck. :confused:

Ive only had them die once and that was a month after I bought them. Id try the IX series which should have fixed the bugs in the V. If not, try a different brand.

Do you know if they replaced them or “repaired” them? I’ve had one of my aids do that, then after it was sent in for repair, I still had the issue. They then replaced the aid and solved my problem…

Yep, am aware about it and I took many steps to keep it as dry as possible. I do not sweat during that time (too cold here lol), no hair spray used at all, and no greasy hair. :stuck_out_tongue:

When it stopped working, I had a look at it, nothing’s wrong with it. I opeend the battery cover and there is no rust on the battery contact points. So it’s not that…

They had piles of brand new hearing aids, so it got swapped. I do not know what has happend to my old hearing aids, however I have been told that they send it away for repairs. But they confirmed that the hearing aids I had were brand new and not repaired. Yet it still failed to work after a time.

They’ve said that when I see them again next week, they will ask for a copy of the report of my failed aids, but there is no guarantee that they will receive one.

So it looks like when I see them, I will get yet another brand new hearing aids.

Cheers,

It sounds like those aids (piles of aids) are made for pennies on the dollar…

Have you dropped your aids, say from a drop of chest high?? It’s possible the electronics inside might not be able to take a lot of hits, hence the issues…kind of like a high end cell phone like the Evo (easy to crack a screen w/o protection)

Nope, never have been dropped at all.

Thought I’d update you all on this… it turns out to be something simple.

On the top of the hearing aids, there are two filters. Remove them, it works. So they have given me some spare filters. When it stopped working, I replace them myself and it has worked fine since.

Amusing to see this got fixed over something simple…!

[quote=tsutton;52026]Thought I’d update you all on this… it turns out to be something simple.

On the top of the hearing aids, there are two filters. Remove them, it works. So they have given me some spare filters. When it stopped working, I replace them myself and it has worked fine since.

Amusing to see this got fixed over something simple…![/quote]

How are they stopping from working? I know I get cutoffs at times from my right aid. I always replace the top filters, but rarely the bottom. I wonder if the bottom filter is the problem with the cuttoff issue…

How are they stopping from working? I know I get cutoffs at times from my right aid. I always replace the top filters, but rarely the bottom. I wonder if the bottom filter is the problem with the cuttoff issue…

I usually get the aid back online by rebooting the battery

They said it’s down to the filter being clogged up because it was near my hair. I was also told not to change the filter on the bottom, but since it’s the same size, I would give it a try anyway and see how you get on.

Does it work OK when you removed the filter?

I haven’t tried yet, as it’s working fine right now. I know it does cutoff when I work for a period of time in a refrigerator…

Mine (I have two) are cutting off too. We tried one with the filter and one without. They both cut out. I tried to tell the audiologist that the naids were beeping when they came back on by themselves. I would think that this indicates that it’s nothing to do with the filter.

just using my common sense approach, it seems that either the battery does not have a good power rating to power the aids, or the contacts inside are not pressing hard enough to activate the aid. I used to see some batteries with copper/gold type ends (Think it was Duracell), but the later batches switched back to the nickel type ends.

I will have to ask Phonak why this is happening…

The gore-tex fills with grease or moisture.

Once full, the aid dies. They ought to be swapped every 6-9months otherwise the performance will slide.

Builders, plasterers and people who are likely to perspire more may need to change the filter every few weeks.