Phonak Naida Paradise: Which fitting formula best for profound loss? Use SoundRecover2?

Here is my audiogram:
L:
125hz-55db; 250hz-60db; 500hz-65db; 1khz-80db; 1,5khz-105db; 2khz-110db; 3khz-115db; 4khz-120db; 6khz-115db; 8khz-110db
R:
125hz-85db; 250hz-90db; 500hz-80db; 1khz-75db; 1,5khz-70db; 2khz-80db; 3khz-80db; 4khz-90db; 6khz-90db; 8khz-85db

I have Phonak Naida Paradise UP and a sensorineural hearing loss.

My priority is a best understanding of the speech.
NAL-NL2 sounded good on the left ear but bad on the right ear. Other formulas were a problem … and fitters, too …

What can be improved in fit for better comprehension of the speech? Which fitting formula? Is a SoundRecovery2 necessary? If so then how to adjust it? Maybe another ideas, too?

You have to try them and make up your own mind up. No one can tell you which will help as we all hear differently even if we have the same hearing loss.

2 Likes

I don’t have that possibility …

You could if you wanted to go the DIY path, it’s easy enough and plenty of people from right here on hearingtracker to help you along the way, all you need is a little bit of research and understanding of how Phonak target software works(easily available from forum members) once you have this, go out and buy the Noahlink wireless programmer, you could end up with a better fitting for your needs.

1 Like

Might try unlinking the left from right in SR2. Your left might help with speech using frequency lowering. Your right is a pretty flat loss, SR2 wouldn’t be much help.

I preferred the Phonak APD but have read DSL tends to help the profound losses with speech best.

Everyone’s hearing is different. When the loss gets severe/profound it just gets really difficult to fit. Do you know your word/sentence understanding scores?

1 Like

My word understanding score is low.

1 Like

I think you’re going to struggle no matter how well the hearing aids are fit. What are your word recognition scores like? I’m guessing not good. I’d encourage an eval for cochlear implants. I think the Sound Recovery 2 is going to be necessary , especially in the left ear. Let us know how it goes.

2 Likes

CI is not an option for me.

1 Like

If CI is not an option and word recognition scores are poor (I’m assuming–you haven’t shared WRS), I think you need to look to other ways to facilitate speech understanding: lip reading, asking speaker to speak directly towards you, etc.

2 Likes

I brought a new Noahlink wireless device on eBay last April for 185 dollars. I also brought the tv connector for the TV. No need to turn up the tv volume. You can also use the tv connector to PC computer for watching YouTube and music. My hearing is pretty profound and dependant on subtitles or captions on tv and movies/shows. My word recognition scores are very poor. Use sound recover in Target for your left ear only. Try to find a audiologist that does REM real ear measurement. Your hearing will get worse due to age related hearing loss and CI is the best option.

1 Like

She can’t get a CI as previously said……

1 Like

True. I’m saying for the rest of the people who have pretty bad hearing loss, the CI is the best option. I could get one for my left ear but it’s untrained the first 25 years of my life.