Phonak Naída Lumity L50-UP vs Naída Paradise P50-UP?

His problem at quiet times would tell you to lower the gain in G50 lower frequencies.
IMO

Yeah he needs to at least make some changes in lower frequencies, soft is a start (G50) I didn’t mean to across the board, just pointing out the it’s not the MPO to change.

That’s the thing I wanted to know if he had this on or off, target recommends it to be on, so it’s taking say 8Hz to 6Hz, not like when we use it, remember it’s a reverse slope for him.

Sound Recover is frequency lowering technology. His reverse slope hearing loss definitely does not need frequency lowering or am I missing something?

I’m away, but it would be useful to see some bone lines and also useful to get a different description of this “screaming”. Plus, I don’t think the thing described as an occlusion problem is really an occlusion problem, so venting concerns are a red herring.

That loss at low frequencies is pretty severe. Upwards spread of masking is going to be an issue for clarity, but so is gain tolerance. At a certain point things can just be too loud, can start to influence the vestibular system.

Bone conduction testing is way more variable than air.

1 Like

How did you walk out with Lumity UPs? I was told they can only be encased in a C-shell mold.

Not the Naida Lumity UP which this person has. Completely different to Audeo hearing aids.

I like sound recover honestly. My last fitting had it on as well. Not sure why everyone is opposed to sound recover. It sounds better in my opinion

The screaming sound, is noise. They are very noisy. Sounds like tinnitus but as soon as i turn the aides off it stops.

The occlusion, is pressure build up. If i wear the aides at the prescribed settings according to the audiogram i posted, after a few days theres a tremendous amount of pressure. That pressure remains regardless of venting or not.

But it’s not just feedback. It’s not a sound that other people around you can hear, right? And you can hear through it, because you said it wasn’t present when there was noise? It would still be present if you pushed your molds into your ears to improve the seal.

And remind me, you can’t have this conductive loss surgically corrected, right? I forget, but I feel like you’d said it was related to mastoid surgery or similar.

1 Like

I was born with enlarged vestibular aqueducts, an X-linked chromosome genetic thing. Theres nothing operational they can do, if they rupture the cochleas I’ll lose the air conduction i do have. The cochleas are so enlarged they push the stapes wide open.

And yes, your description of the noise is correct. The molds are pretty snug and seat very well additionally.

I tried a Baha Max 6, wasnt loud enough. I just recently had an Oticon Ponto abutment installed, still waiting on that to heal before they turn it on. But thats only 10db louder than cochlear max 6. So not hopeful.

I recalculated the factory prescription so mpo and gains are at the target, then reduced the G50 -3db, and it sounds pretty good. Little noise in the right side, but subtle like getting used to a new pair of aides. I’m gonna try this for a few days without any occlusion effect reduction and see if its tolerable. They sound great now tho. Hoping the little noise subsides and see what happens with the pressure issue. I’ll report back.

4 Likes

Thanks. Interesting loss. What others need to keep in mind are that the fluid dynamics of your cochlea are entirely different than theirs, which can result in some odd effects.

Usually when people use the word “screaming” they are referring to something very loud and high-pitched. Does this describe the sound you are experiencing?

Try just flipping off speech enhancer in the program options and see what happens to that sound.

If your current settings are working well, stick with them. Otherwise, I’d be tempted to flip back to DSL which is a bit less compressed and prescribes less low frequency gain, and then try turning things up overall to preference, but keep whatever minimum number of low frequency channels reduced as required to get rid of the effect that you are describing as occlusion. All the occlusion manager does is turn down the low frequency gain, and you can do it in a more targetted way manually. It may be that all you need to adjust down, for example, is 250 Hz, and so can maintain more audibility at higher frequencies by adjsuting manually. I’m less against you turning down the MPO if that is what gets rid of those unpleasant symptoms for you, but again I’d try to do it in a targetted way–it may just be the lowest frequencies that are causing the problem given your EVA.

2 Likes

Thanks for you input. Back to the “screaming” noise. I’m very familiar with tinnitus. I used to get it often, when i ate lots of chocolate, or when i was drinking coffee regularly, i even quit smoking like 10 years ago because of tinnitus, and poor diet. I changed all those things and haven’t had any issues with tinnitus with the exception of halloween when the kids go trick or treating and i eat a pile of chocolate it will generate tinnitis. So this noise I’m hearing sounds just like tinnitus, but on steroids. Like screaming tinnitus. However when i turn the aides off or remove them, its gone unlike tinnitus which remains. It literally sounds like screaming tinnitus. It sounds like the aides are maxed out, red lining, struggling to produce, short circuiting. With my P30’s, P50’s, the lumity loaners i have, the Xceed 1UP’s i have as well. They all make this noise, and they all have this pressure generating.

I went after the MPO’s initially because some of them were in upper 130’s and lower 140’s. The target gains are perfect with the exception of the noise and pressure. You are right about DSL having lower gains and MPO, i did mess with it and that screaming noise was louder. I think i will mess with DSL more with speech rescue off like you said.

I have turned off speech rescue and always prefered it on, but i will try it off for a few weeks.

I have tried targeting the 250hz gains like you said aside from the occlusion effect manager. Not gonna lie, target software does a good job calculating that. Better than i can if i manually do it. It just sounds smoother than my manual adjustments, and target only lets you do so much manually before it starts doing what it wants to do. And the MPO’s i adjusted were only the ones in the upper 130’s & 140’s. I’d bring em down to like lower/mid 130’s, that seems to be the only real helpful thing i can find, other than the weak setting on occlusion effect option.

The good thing is, out of all the audiograms i have, the ones that are from.the same audi’s are consistent with past audiograms so nothing has changed over time. Its just that each audi has a different audiogram with varying results. But the history with each audi hasn’t changed in 40 years…

I appreciate your input, i’ll follow up over the next weeo or 2 after messing with dsl and eliminating speech rescue.

Thanks

The hi frequencies are ear piercing when i turn off speech rescue, should i just manually reduce the gainns instead of using speech rescue?

I did mean speech enhancer, not speech rescue–they are two different things. But based on your description I no longer suspect it will help. I think reducing the MPO the way you have is fine.

I’m not seeing speech enhancer on target? Is that a Genie thing?

Yeah i’m not running speech enhancer. Appears thats on the 90 series aides.

1 Like

When I had Marvel hearing aids I asked my audiologist whether Paradise aids were suffucuently better. She tested my comprehension with each, and the Marvel was slightly better. Then the Lumity came out and again I asked her if I should change. She tested both and the clarity of the Lumity aids was significantly better. I use a lot of Bluetooth devices and the fact you don’t have to relink them as often is another advantage to the Lumity.

3 Likes