Phonak Marvel vs Phonak Paradise

@rose

Doesn’t sound like an idea situation to be in.

Hopefully you’ll have a good audiologist who is willing to help you.

You should find another audiologist. I’m beginning to realize that I’m very fortunate that my audiologist will let me test every hearing aid ever invented if I so desire. He actually encourages me to trial more then one. If I haven’t learned anything from this is that when I trial power aids every aid I try sounds different to me for one reason or another. There’s no way anyone can convince me after all these years that the one aid the audiologist picks out for me is the one I’ll do best with. At the same time my audiologist wants to hear my feedback regarding the aid I just trialed because he understands that every loss is an individual thing and there’s no way he can ever really know which aid is going to be best. At most based on the tests conducted he can direct me towards a sp or up aid but not which one. I consider myself very fortunate to have the Audi I have. If your Audi only tries to sell you one particular aid and gets stressed out when you ask questions I would go elsewhere. Keep in mind my loss is probably an audiologist nightmare. But I do know that he allows other patients to trial aids for weeks at a time. So that policy is not unique to me. Oh and he doesn’t charge me for trialing aids. When all is said and done when it’s time to buy the aids the price he charges is pretty much what I see everyone else is being charged. That last part is for the naysayers. Ps. I have seen other Audis who I thought were jerks and walked away from

Also, Marvels did not honor my “Do Not Disturb” on Samsung Note. Paradise does. Both good HA’s, Paradise is better.

“Better” tends to be in the eye of the beholder.

1 Like

Just have to chime in on hearing aid size. I have worn Resound RIC 312 aids for about 8 years. Aids are BRIGHT RED and my hair is very short - - almost boy cut in back. And about 8 time out of 10 when hearing aids are mentioned and I say something about my aids, folks mouths drop open and are astonished that I am wearing hearing aids!!! I think 9 out of 10 people never see behind the ear aids!!!

4 Likes

very interesting situation! I went for bigger size 13 batteries because the aid is only negligibly larger than the 312 but the batteries hold quite a lot more energy. It was going to cost me the same either way. My memory is fuzzy, but I think it was on the order of 50% more I can easily get a week from a set of batteries.
So
on one hand…I’ve not read about anyone with rechargeable having problems getting through a day…but in my thinking you’d always have to be prepared to either go a few hours without aids if you’re out and they die… AND you’d have to be prepared to always travel with a charger if you travel a lot or stay in multiple places…but otherwise rechargeable seem like they work just fine.
(but that’s why iI chose against rechargeable
or on the other hand… just based on my experience (which means not much for you), I’d suppose I’d get perhaps 3 or maybe 4 days from a set of 312 batteries… not bad.

As far as features…I’m not familiar with paradise, but while I absolutely love my Marvel aids I do find it annoying that they won’t connect to two devices. I of course connect them to my phone…and almost daily I use external over the ear headphones with my computer because it was too much of a pain in the neck to disconnect the phone…connect the computer…remember to reconnect the phone…etc…

BBecauseof tthis I’d probably go for the newer Paradise
Regardless…I find the automatic program switching of these things to be wonderful.

I recon…especially for the price… you could hardly go wrong with either choice!

I have the P90 and am very happy with it.
The charging is easy. Put them in ears (charged) in morning, place them in charger when you go to sleep.
They last all day. The charge takes an hour or two.

1 Like

Knowing myself I would either forget to put them on the charger or after a while find it annoying. I find it much easier to carry around a spare set if batteries and then just swap them out every couple of weeks. But that’s me

2 Likes

I went from Phonak Marvels with 312s to Paradise p90Rs and would never wish to go back to 312s. There was always the worry with batteries that they’d give out at some inconvenient time so on such days, I’d need to put in fresh batteries at the start of the day just to be sure - then I’d be left with two sets of batteries with still some charge left in them. No such problem with my rechargeables. I take my P90Rs out of the charger when I rise at 6:30 am and they last through to my bedtime (10:30 pm) with quite heavy use of Bluetooth during the day.

1 Like

I got an in-the-ear hearing aid back in 2006 because I have otosclerosis. It was visible, but I had hair to cover it. I was not happy about getting the hearing aid and going to work. BUT NOW everybody young and old is wearing something in their ear so I no longer care! I like the different color choices. I predict that the future of cell phones will be ear phones. I can already answer and end calls with my Paradise P70 rechargeable. Why should I carry a phone around? Then we can use notebooks for other stuff.

1 Like

I don’t think the higher technology levels mean more gain. They mean more features, more channels, and possibly better algorithms.