Phonak Marvel 13T vs Rechargeable

phonak

mine is atypical loss. i wear spontaneously so battery draining fast so i am in troublesome situation mainly when i need HA so batteries version i do not know whether Rechargeable version has telecoil? does it needed for roger select?

It is my understanding there will be a telecoil version available sometime in the next few months and it should also be available in either battery or rechargeable. I believe all versions of the Marvels will have the Roger capability integrated but it will not be functional until the Fall through a firmware upgrade.

I’m told that Roger capability will require a paid upgrade, but I don’t have any other details.

I was leery of the rechargeables because I thought they’d go dead at a time when I needed them most. Then it would be hours waiting for them to charge–plus I’d need to have a way to charge them. With disposable batteries I could just pop in a fresh set and be good to go. Then I started remembering the occasions when I’d have to mess with 2 or 3 battery changes because I’d run into a lemon or two. And I thought about how much I enjoy having a smartphone once I finally tried one. Lo and behold I decided to try the rechargeables and I love 'em!

You have to factor many other things when choosing between rechargeable and disposable batteries. It’s not just cost or adaptability. Does your battery recharger dry your HA’s over night. Think not. Do you travel a lot - have fun packing charger. Do we know how HA or HA recharger will hold after two, three, four years of continual operation in charging unit - no since technology hasn’t been out that long. Is there a significant cost savings between the two - not really. And what are the odds you loose HA capability using rechargeable hearing aids versus throw aways? Odds are way way higher you will experience a dead battery going the recharging route versus throw away. Then of course you can replace disposal battery in 60 seconds, versus the long wait to recharge battery if you happen to have your recharging unit nearby.

It will be interesting in the next year or two to see which way HA users go - but I’m sticking with disposals.

The rechargeable case has a place to put dessicant tabs in .They can also be recharged from the usb port in your car.

I went with the rechargable batteries for the convenience of use. There was also an environmental decision about disposing of the used regular batteries.

I’m getting close to 17 hours out of the rechargable batteries on my M70. I got the low battery warning once during a day when I streamed music for 3+ hours in addition to making several phone calls.

The standard charger is quite small for traveling. Phonak reportedly offers a mini charger case which would make traveling even simpler.

The charger cable is a simple USB cable which as stated will plug into most cars now… AND a lot of hotels are now providing USB charging ports in rooms. Heck Amtrak trains now have USB ports next to almost every seat these days.

Note; In the event that you do run the batteries low, 30 minutes of charging will give you 6 hours of use.

It’s my understanding that there’s a 3 year warranty in the HA’s including the battery. At the 2.5 year mark, my audiologist will send the HA’s in for “refurbishment”. As part of the process, the batteries will be replaced. Which then give you at least 3 more years of no worries about the batteries.

That thing about one more charger—my phone is usb-c. My phonak charger is micro usb. I don’t travel much, so it isn’t an issue for me. However, it does make me curious; what cable does the resound quattro charger use?

So a few points I think are relevant:

1. “Does your battery recharger dry your HA’s over night” - The Marvel Omnicharger has a compartment for a desiccant tab and thus yes, while recharging they are also drying.
  2. “have fun packing charger” - I travel a lot and I pack a charger cable for my iPhone, one for my AppleWatch; a larger one for my MacBook Pro computer; and my CPAP machine. All fit nicely into the CPAP machine carrier including the Omnicharger for the Marvels. If space is really an issue, the “clamshell” charger is very small.
  3. There is also a Phonak Power Pack which clips onto the bottom of the Omnicharger and provides a full seven days of charges in the event you have no access to electricity or a car (USB connection).
  4. One hour of charging gives six hours of use.
  5. Batteries are included in three year warranty. Probably move onto new aids by then.
  6. Environmental issue of disposing of batteries.
  7. Aids are less susceptible to moisture problems as no battery door.
  8. Rechargeable Aids can easily be powered on/off without removing them from your ears. This is helpful when unpairing/repairing to a different Bluetooth device.

All in all, I find the rechargeables very convenient for my usage. For others maybe not, but to each his own.

For my two cents a “desiccant tab” won’t do much of anything if you live in humid area and you’re HA or HA receiver collects moisture. Today HA are sealed better then they used to be but receivers are still prone to moisture damage. You need heat and a drying element combined to properly dry out hearing aids. A desiccant tab is to keep something dry that is already dry. So if by chance someone walks into a shower with aids on (which I have never done) and needs to dry them out you use a dehumidifier. If you’ve been outside in hot humid weather, sweating, etc., you need to put your aids in a dehumidifier - not next a desiccant tab. And when you use a dehumidifier you leave HA in for 4 plus hour or let it run through the night. When you have a $2,500 plus to $6,000 investment (2 aids) you don’t buy a ten cent desiccant tab and expect it to dry out hearing aids.

That’s kinda strange. My previous aids went into a dessicant jar every night and no problems with them. And it stays humid where I live .Plus I sweat like a pig in the summer. Plus I really don’t appreciate your condescending attitude. And the dessicant tabs I use, cost more, lots more than 10 cents.

There is a different between a desiccant jar with pellets and a desiccant tab. I’ve used Super Dri Aid Hearing Aid Dehumidifier with desiccant pellets with good results. Please don’t compare the two as equal because they’re not, but I do apologize about my cheap cost estimate. Bottom line though - if there is a recharging battery unit that also acts as a dehumidifier I’d like to hear about it. For now anyone recharging batteries and not drying out HA’s when impacted by moisture is taking a risk. That risk is that their HA’s might not last as long or need repair more often if not properly dried out on a routine basis. Most Audi’s will say to cook your HA’s every night since it will make your hearing aids last longer. Some power dehumidifiers you can leave your batteries in, other you might need to remove. In any case I certainly wouldn’t use a “desiccant tab” to dry out a $3000 hearing that fell into water or had been coated with sweat all day long. That’s a recipe for disaster.

Hmmm–I live in Tucson. It’s normally very dry here, but we DO have a rainy season (a.k.a. the monsoon) and sometimes we have a lot of long lasting winter rains. Maybe my Widex Dreams would have held up better if I’d kept them in a dehydrator? (I went to the Resound Linx 2 from those. I wore them recently; just to see–they’re working fine right now. Never hurts to have a backup or three.) Incidentally, that I had difficulties with my own set is not meant to imply anything negative about the brand.

Your original post said it was “For my two cents” and apparently both Phonak and C&C disagree with your assessment. My audiologist told me Phonak specifically put the desiccant compartment into the Omnicharger to provide drying capabilities. Further, the C&C Dry-Cap says right on the box “For the drying of hearing systems and earmolds” so I guess both Phonak and C&C are misleading us non-informed consumers. I don’t live in a highly humid environment but the fact that Phonak put it into the Omnicharger and recommends using it is good enough for me.

You place the marvels in the charger where the dessicant tab is ,close the lid and while charging, they are drying. Look up a pic. of the charger.

I would rather use an electric dry and store rather then a little desiccant tab which does very little.

I’m poor, I might start putting mine in the toaster oven on low all night. Hope it doesn’t mess my charger up .

Seriously, there is a lot to be said for a few grains of rice. And if they don’t keep your HAs dry you can always eat 'em.:smiling_imp:

The Phonak mini charger is usb-c; the larger charger (called the Combi) is micro usb.

Can you use a portable battery/charger to plug into the mini-charger’s (or Combi’s) USB port to recharge the HAs when away from an outlet?