Phonak L90 RL (Life) failed (Not)

I had been trialing the L90 RL aids for about 40 of the 45 day trial period when they failed. The aids did not turn off or show status lights when placed into the induction charger. I had to turn them off before putting them in the charger to mute the scream and of course there was no charging. I wounder if this is the same type of problem that Costco had with the KS10’s.

Sounds like it might be a charger issue.
The charger can be reset by holding down the small reset button recessed into the base with a pin or similar.
Once the charger lights blink then the reset is complete.

Have another go recharging the aids after that.

1 Like

Thanks for that. Seems to have solved the problem, at least temporally. I had tried to reset the charger but failed to wait for the blinking lights.

2 Likes

Because I didn’t properly reset the charger and the L90’s were not charged, I pulled out my old KS7’s which I had kept as a back-up. I wore them for a couple of days and could not discern a difference between them and the L90’s. So I returned the L90’s. Of course I don’t have that great Bluetooth connectivity but I guess I can live without that a while longer.

4 Likes

Well, if you returned the L90s … why not get a NEW pair of them? I’m impressed that you say the KS7’s were as good as these new Phonaks, but if you want better Bluetooth connectivity, don’t give up. GET 'EM AGAIN!

BeLo, you’d given me the same advice on an earlier thread, but I can’t seem to find where to put that pin? The induction charging base I have is smooth on the bottom. It looks like the model sold at Amazon here.

Is this the same charger you have with the “reset” on the bottom? I’ll be taking this in to my audi on Thu (tomorrow) so perhaps she can also shed some light on things.

I use a SIM removal tool/pin and the tiny button is in the centre of the red circle shown in the picture below:

PXL_20230126_102218223

4 Likes

Well, it’s a question of whether I want to spend $4,700 just for the bluetooth. When you are in your mid 80’s that becomes a bigger issue (or seems to be :smile: ). My audi recommended that I get earmolds so I think I will go back to Costco and try that as a next step.

2 Likes

OMG - VOILA! Now I see it! I just turned my charger base over and now know where to put that SIM pin if needed.

Is it a good idea to periodically reboot the chargers? I don’t think I’m having issues with it, but I DO have trouble seating my induction aids into the slots. Sometimes hubs hears the aids ON - with lots of squeaky feedback - while they sit in the charger. Other times, I take the aids out and one hasn’t charged up, so I get just 4 hrs use. I really need to master this dexterity thing.

1 Like

Yes, this will be a short note because I have to go finish my supper, I’m eating crow. The L90’s were clearly better than my KS7’s. My decision to return them was precipitous and unwise. I have reordered and have purchased earmolds. I am going to try the DIY approach after the initial fitting (which will just be transferred from the original L90’s.)

2 Likes

I am also in the mid-80s and have been very happy with the L90s that cost $3,200 not $4,700. Have ear moulds on order. Active vents are also worth considering.