Phonak introduces Paradise, a new paradigm in hearing aid sound quality

I feel my review was fairly balanced… I mean, I called out the issues I found!

1 Like

I was not paid to do this review. In fact, I haven’t received any money from Phonak since the pandemic hit. And, even when I do, it’s not for writing editorial content… We have pretty strict promotional guidelines and you can read all about it on our about page.

1 Like

And for now just offering rechargeable batteries is a mistake. Since the Marvel line offered disposable batteries aids, which sold very well. Maybe in time Phonak will offer both, but GN Resound, Widex and others are all keeping disposable battery aids in new/future aids, which offers users a “comforting choice” between charge and throw away.

I just tested this for you to make sure… the double tap on the left instrument is for pause / resume and honestly it happened almost instantaneously for me. I do occasionally have some issues with the tapping, but I think this is to do with my hair covering the aid. I think your finger needs to touch the body of the aid itself. So, probably best for those with shorter hair. Something to keep in mind.

Perfectly for me. No audiobooks, but lots of podcasts.

1 Like

Sorry, was intended as a joke. Perhaps a bad one. Happy to delete if you wish.

I knew it was a joke, and totally fine. Just clarifying for other people who may lack our good humor :wink:

3 Likes

@AbramBaileyAuD thanks
Can you clarify something - do you need to touch the HA or your ear? They say pinna, but, knowing phonak and their expertise with naming stuff, I’d rather check :rofl:

When your phone was in front pant pocket, was it left or right? Assuming that paradise connect same as marvel, to the right HA first, try switching :smiley:
Also, definitely when walking, because on the bike your pockets are closer to your ear probably?

And thanks for reminder for 5.2 BT. I’m bad with remembering numbers, but I guess none of HAs got to 5.2 yet right?
Can anyone point me in the direction of what exactly comes to HA with each BT version (starting from marvels even though I have no clue which BT they are)

I will buy new HA now, since I need them, but I hoped it will be Paradise, now I’m not so sure. Marvel style recharger is BAD, and I went nuts in just several days of using it to the point I’ve begged my fitter to let me know when my pair comes. I don’t want my devices to frustrate me :rofl: Maybe travel version is better?
But feeling of need to dig my nails into it to pull it out just isn’t right.
I was anxious not to break something since they weren’t mine, but also, I wouldn’t like to break mine either :rofl:

Any thoughts on autosense 4.0, is it really better?
Also, did you have a chance to test echo related stuff?

Sorry to smother you here… and thanks for answering whatever you know :slight_smile:

@phobos512 I can’t recall such rumor about not needing licences?
Only thing I know is that they will work with iN versions in same way as Marvels now, eg no additional waiting for some firmware.

Brief review of current situation with Bluetooth. Phonak uses standard Bluetooth 4.2 (compatible with higher) Made for iPhone (MFi) uses Apple’s Low Energy (LE) Bluetooth 4.2. It requires an iPhone and a hearing aid that is specifically MFi). LE Bluetooth is usually only for sending signals (not speech and music), but Apple has managed a workaround. ASHA (Google’s attempt at their version of LE audio) is available only on certain Google and Samsung phones and needs BT 5 (supposedly 4.2, but all compatible phones have 5) Only some Resound and Starkey aids are ASHA compatilble.

1 Like

OMG how did I miss this. Yes, tapping your ear works and is SO MUCH EASIER!!

3 Likes

@MDB :heart: thank you so much!

Ok so ASHA is BT 5, I guess 5.0/5.1?

And with BT 5.2 we should expect decent connectivity and low latency no matter what OS for phone is?

Awesome, glad to be able to help :smiley:

Ok, which part exactly? Since pinna is big :rofl:
I guess helix?

pinna

Well, I only tried the helix, and my assumption is this works because your skin from your ear touches the device … Guessing you could touch any part of your ear that would lead to an ear-to-hearing aid skin touch.

2 Likes

From what I’ve understood they use motion sensors, not touch sensors, so they shouldn’t need skin contact for conducting current.

My guess is that it could work if you double tap anywhere, try earlobe, head near eye for example, glasses if you wear them?

On the other hand, if they use conductiveness sensor, then damn again for not boosting that and using it for proper wireless charging, even if it’s less efficient but it’s definitely less cumbersome. :rofl:

Let me try banging my head on the desk twice.

5 Likes

but why motion sensor hearing limited to R an RT version?

ASHA requires a compatible phone. All current compatible phones are either BT 5 or 5.1, but my understanding is that it’s actually using BT 4.2 LE to stream with the hearing aids. BT 5.2, with the LE audio codec “should” be better, but it will be up to hearing aid manufacturers to implement. Although I hope they all do, nothing guarantees it. Apple may stick with MFi and Phonak could stick with Classic Bluetooth. Stranger things have happened. Apple is still using the Lighntning connector where everybody else uses USB-C.

can anyone confirm about noise reduction differ in noisy place like road fan car or party
and about BT 5.2 LE compatablity or its using 4.2/ classic BT ?

lol Comedy gold right there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good one. LOL
Question: might be too premature, but is there any word if a variation of the Paradise will come to Costco?
Same question for the Resound One.
Thanks

1 Like

True that.

I believe only Phonak knows that answer, if they do :rofl:

I can imagine some lame excuse ‘not enough space in the aid itself’.
Or 'sensor is water sensitive and with battery door we cannot ensure keeping moisture out.
Or chip doesn’t have enough memory to support battery charging and sensor.
Or sensor needs more battery and we couldn’t figure out how to make it drain less.

Pick your poison :rofl:

1 Like