Phonak + Icom + BlueTooth = >:(

Hi guys. I have been wearing hearing aids since I was 5 (now 24) but never heard of you guys. Just a few days ago, I got new hearing aids, and a bluetooth receiver

Phonak Exelia Art M and an iCom

I have successfully used the audio jack in it to connect to my speakers and played some music to my hearing aid.

The thing I am having trouble with it, is connecting it to my new BlueTooth phones.

I turn on the bluetooth button on the back of the iCom.
I go into my Bluetooth properties on my phone.
I select to find a headphone device.
It finds it, successfully connects to it.
The blue light is flashing slowly on the iCom, from what I understand, that means the BlueTooth is on standby.
I try calling on the phone, it never goes to solid blue.

I’m sure I have everything correct, but what am I doing wrong?

Have you set your aids up with your new iCom?

Your aids need to be set up with that iCom using the iPFG Phonak program.

Good luck

Yes, my audiologist did that.

Does your phone say “iCom” in the bluetooth devices found screen?

Try setting phone to headset, that’s how I connected my Iphone to Icom to H/a"

Tom

Hi,

I forgot to mention you can get the motorola dc800 to work the same way
and then you can listen to stereo tv in your HA’S volume can be controlled by the
Ipilot.

tom

@Rick- Yes, it does come up as iCom, and says it is connected when blue light is flashing on the iCom

@Tom- Yes, headphone. That’s what I did to get the phone to enable it. I do not currently have an Ipilot, but we are looking into that.

Edit: I do have the iCom on my speakers at the moment, and my center button is solid, when clicked off, all lights flash slowly. It is connecting to the phone, but isn’t detecting when it is on…

I just went through all this recently with a Motorola V3XX and a Samsung Rugby. I am no wiz with this stuff but am trying to learn.

When someone calls your cell phone, does the flashing blue light on the iCom stop flashing and stay steady on? When you call someone on the cell phone, does the blue light stop flashing on the iCom?

David, one thing you never mentioned is which cell phone you have. What brand and model? Who is your cell provider? This will allow us to view the user manual for the phone to research further.

Make sure that your audiologist has the latest version of iPFG. In iPFG on the Accessory Options screen, make sure that she checks both options for the iCom, Enable Voice Dial and Enable Last Number Dial … although they aren’t needed for using the iCom with a cell phone, this will ensure that it is fully set up to do so.

Rick, it does not make the blue light solid on incoming nor outgoing.

I am not using a cell phone at the moment. I’m trying to use a landline telephone with BlueTooth.

The make and model is: AT&T TL92270

I do not think my audiologist put Voice Dial or Last Number on.

Edit: Does it mean anything at all when the blue light is flashing quickly?

If the blue light on the right side of the iCom does not stop flashing and stay on it is not streaming.

If you don’t have the iCom user manual, Google it and get it. It will help you.

Good luck

I do have it. I did everything correctly through the iCom manual as well as our phone’s manual.

I can see iCom as a BT device, connected, straight on the phone.

Something is not adding up here.

Update: I figured it out, guys and gals. For some reason my computer and wireless router was interfering with it. Once I took the phone out of my room and dialed up a number, it worked fine. I also asked a family friend to call me back, and out of my room, it worked perfect.

Don’t ask me why, but it worked, be happy :smiley:

Thanks for posting a followup. I bet if you set up a 5GHz wireless-N network that the issue goes away completely.

Most of my wireless computers are on wireless-G. The 5Ghz is A/N only.

I’m quite computer savvy, so I know this. I’ll talk this over with my friend, he knows more about my router, he owns the same one I do.

Edit: Yeah, 5Ghz only uses A/N. I’ll just step out of my room, no prob.

The fast flashing blue light indicates that the device is in Discover mode. It has not been recognized yet by the device you are trying to pair it with. Try turning the iCom OFF and then ON again. Push the small button on the back, the one next to the label, using a pen or pencil point. The blue light should start flashing in a quick sequence. This means that the iCom is in Discover mode. Then place the telephone base in Discover mode.

To pair and connect a headset:
Press MENU/SELECT on the handset in idle mode to enter
the main menu.
Press CID or DIR to highlight Bluetooth, then press
MENU/SELECT.
Press CID or DIR to highlight Add headset, then
press MENU/SELECT. The screen displays ADD HEADSET
Place Bluetooth headset next to base. Press SELECT.
If there are already four devices on the paired devices
list, the screen displays Maximum of 4 devices can be
paired and prompts you to replace an existing paired
device (page 21).
Press MENU/SELECT. The screen displays Please set
your headset to discoverable mode, then
press SELECT.
If a device is already connected to the telephone
base, the screen displays Connected device will
be temporarily disconnected. Press SELECT. Press
MENU/SELECT to temporarily disconnect the device
and continue the pairing process.
Set your headset to discoverable mode.
Press MENU/SELECT to set your telephone base to
discoverable mode and search for your headset.
Once the telephone base finds your headset, press
MENU/SELECT.
Enter the PIN of your headset (the PIN for most
Bluetooth devices is 0000), then press MENU/SELECT.
When the handset displays Headset A paired to base.
Connect now? Press SELECT, then press MENU/SELECT
on the handset.
When you already have two devices on the active
devices list, the handset shows Maximum of 2
devices can be connected. You are prompted to
replace an existing headset on the active devices list
(page 21).
When you already have one headset on the active
devices list, the handset shows Only 1 headset can
be connected. You are prompted to replace the
headset on the active devices list (page 21).
Headset setup completed Device connected and the corresponding
status icon ( 1 or 2) display when a device is successfully connected.
The corresponding light on the telephone base (DEVICE1 or DEVICE2)
turns on.

There is more info in the user manual for the telephone … that is the adding a headset procedure. Note also that no other Bluetooth device should be powered on that the iCom is paired with, such as a cell phone if you have one paired.

You guys are amazing. I just keep reading and reading. I’m trialing a phonak audeoV (spelling is dicey). I should get my icom this week. Sounds like my problems are only beginning.

My audiologist is really nice, friendly, concerned & tries to be helpful. But I’m beginning to wonder just how experienced she is with the phonak. Is there a tactful way to ask her if we can get a phonak representative to come in? She is about as geeky as I am, and I just stumble along. My own fault, I’m sure, but I’ve always considered technology a tool, not an avocation. Any suggestions?

Also apparently phonak is running some kind of promotion on these–should I look at other hearing aids, too? This is my first experience with HA’s. I’ve been quite impressed with some aspects (I could carry on a conversation in the car with the top down talking to a woman–WOW), but other things don’t seem as remarkable? I have no idea what is possible or whether my audi is programming anything at all. Advice anyone?

karen bryant

You might say that you heard from a new acquaintance (that would be me) that the Phonak representative was able to solve a problem with the Audeo Smart IXs he was wearing that the audiologist was having difficulties figuring out. I met with the audiologist and Phonak representative(s) (there were two last time) three times now and have an appointment next Tuesday with them for what I think will be the final adjustment. I had met with the audiologist alone almost a dozen times without satisfaction.

Please tell us what specific problems you are experiencing.

@huh- all audiologists are nice. One I had for years was always nice and informative.

Hi, Flash -
Good suggestion. I’ve only been in three times so far and have no specific problems, but I have questions that she isn’t able to answer.

For instance, can we change the settings on the “worse” ear, but not on the “good” ear? Why do you suppose I could hear my turn signal click for the first time in forever, but I only heard it once? Why does it seem that my radio volume is the same with or without my HA’s in?

The first time she put the HA’s in, the setting was giving me awful sounds. The sound of paper crackling was huge (it sounded like static) & almost drowned out everything else, except the sound of my own voice which was dreadful. She fiddled for a few minutes and couldn’t get anything to change, so I think she just turned the volume down (is that the correct way to say it?) Having never used HA’s before, I have no idea what to expect. Have had trouble in high ceiling echo-y room. Still have trouble hearing conversation in the car when I’m in the back seat and two people are talking in the front seat. It seems better, but still not what I would hope for.

FYI, my hearing loss is high frequency and quite significantly worse in my bad ear. I’ve been “lip reading” for years and still function reasonably well without the HA’s, but I can tell I’ve pushed the envelope on what I can compensate for. I think it would be great to be able to hear again.

Too much information, I’m sure. I really appreciate having someone to ask who has had experience with this whole thing. My real worry right now is that she will be equally at a loss with the icom I’m getting.

Thanks,
karen