Phonak Exelia vs Naida

Hey all, I am new to the forum.

I am getting a trial for the Phonak Exelia (M) next month, and so far, reviews have been positive. Then I saw the Naida on Phonak’s site, the water and weather resistance features interest me, because I am quite an active person and go outdoor a lot.

How do these aids compare? I need to find my audiogram some time.

My past hearing aids are (from most recent)
Widex Inteo (Current pair, slightly broken… sent for repair before, almost 3 years old now)
Phonak Savia (tried and returned in favour of the Widex)
Phonak Claro
(and some really old ones that I can’t find anywhere anymore…)

They are essentualy the same. I will note the difference.

1. The naida is WATERRESTANT not waterproof.
  2. The Naida only come in BTE and requires an ear mold.
  3. The Naida lhas higher power output (UP model).
  4. The Naida has a feature called Frequency Compression Transposition. This is where they compress the hi frequencies and move them to a lower frequency. The Naida is best suited for the Severe to profound hearing loss.
    I just got my Naida UP’s Monday, and they are an improvement to my three yr old Sonic’s. Still will have to get more adjustments.
    Hope this helps.

Exelia Art now also contains SoundRecover (non-linear frequency compression) like the Naida. So Exelia Art and Naida IX (top range) are basically the same apart from more power in the Naida UP and slightly better moisture protection.

Thank you - you are correct. Even the price (where I have checked) is the same.

Oh, they certainly seem similar… wish I had known about the Nadia beforehand, my audio has set me up for a trial with the Exelia Art already on the 15th… so I guess it will be a bit hard to change down, but I am looking forward to the iCOM anyway :smiley: (still working on that audiogram)

I just got the Naida IX UP along with the integrated FM receivers, Smartlink SX, iCom, and Mypilot. I’m upgrading from Oticon 380P but really needed feedback control. I’ve tried many many power aids, but for one reason or another did not like them enough to leave the Oticons. I really like the DuoPhone feature as any telephone placed to one ear is heard in both ears. I still like the vintage HandyMic over the Smartlink for its sound capabilities. The iCom is a new world: being able to listen to music and TV (easily) in stereo. It’s been many years since I’ve been able to ‘easily’ listen to anything. The MyPilot seems redundant with that tactile controls, so that my be going back.

I’m new to this board and hope to get my audiogram listed. It’s really dismal, as I can only hear 2 or 3 frequencies before the audiogram bottoms out my articulation response is approx. 10%. I hope to post my many experiences as a long time HOH person.

All these Naida IX reviews is making me a bit jealous, as I have had my Naida V UP aids for about a year now. I did like the Duophone and a few other features, but will have to wait a few more years before I can upgrade again…by then there will be something else out there that’s way better…

you can add your audiogram as text only if you have probs scanning your audiogram…

ljjehl,

It got to the point where the almost constant feedback when using the Oticon’s was (literally) driving everyone in my household crazy. The feedback being out of my hearing range, I could not adjust for it without the help of a hearing person.

My previous attempts trying to use the Naida III and V UP models (prior to the IX) were met with poor and unsuitable telephone T-coil use but good feedback control. Learning about the DuoPhone - I just had to give it a try; and am very pleased so far.

To get back to the Heading Topic, my daughter has the Exelia with FM and all the other accessories, as her hearing was not as profound as mine and the Exeila were not loud enough for me to use. The Exelia’s are feature laden, and required a lot of tweaking with her Audie and the Phonak representative working together to get her programs correct.

Freq Left Right
250 90 95
500 90 85
1k 100 95
2k 115 120
3k 120 120
4k 120 120
6k 115 115
8k 105 105

Just like my Naida V UP with FM, it did require a bit of tweaking. I have mine where I need it to be, but when I added the FM into the SoundFlow (auto) mode, it ended up causing other problems that forced me to send one of the aids to the shop. I’m currently waiting for the Phonak rep to come visit my audi and configure it to my preferences. My current setup is as follows, 1.Soundflow(auto)2.Speech in Noise 3.FM 4. FM plus Mic 5. Music

You said you had poor telephone use with the T-coils…why??

here’s a quick reference guide to help you look at the differences…

http://www.phonak.com/poster_a3_xx_portfolio_core.pdf

The original problem with the T-coil setup (if I can remember) was the volume - we could not get them loud enough for either landline or cellphone use. I use a Merlin landline phone with amplified handset as my home phone, and Verizon LG8300 cell phone. The Nadia IX now has ample volume even without the duophone feature.

(When I could, I would use a binaural operators headset and have my Oticon hearing aids on T-Coil so I could use both ears to hear the telephone conversation).

Now I use the DuoPhone setup and CapTel or it’s web equivalent.

Thanks so much for the VERY INFORMATIVE Phonak chart link!

I guess if the T-Coil is not very loud, I can survive, as I use my Smartlink SX plus 2 ML10i receivers to hear loud and clear through landline/cellphone/or VOIP via laptop. Currently I don’t have a need for T-coil, but this could change later. Thanks for your comments!!

How do you connect the phone to the FM - thru the direct connect input? If so, how do get that from a landline or cellphone? or are you connecting via the Bluetooth setup?

I use this device on the landline:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3584559&y=7&y=7&x=9&x=9&retainProdsInSession=1&retainProdsInSession=1

and plug the 3.5 mm plug into the audio portion of the phone. Everything seems to work fine at this point…

Cell phone I simply connect via bluetooth and speak on the transmitter while hearing binaurally.

Computer I plug into the earphone port. I also use my bluetooth adapter on the computer, but get mixed results at times…(bluetooth connection issues)

Very cleaver setup - thanks for sharing!