Phonak ComPilot - Mics off while streaming?

Anyone know a trick to turn off the microphones on the hearing aids (Naida Q90s) when you are streaming music or a phone call via Bluetooth? So far the best I’ve been able to do is turn the mics down a bunch and turn the music up. Some background sound still leaks in.

I’m coming from an Oticon streamer which had this feature, and I cant see why Phonak would leave this feature off. If you’re hard of hearing, being able to take a call where the only sound is the caller in your ear is hugely beneficial.

This is something that has to be adjusted in the software by your audi. It’s called microphone attenuation, and it’s initially set to -6 dB.

Thanks Rasmus for the quick reply. Thats programmed right on the ComPilot unit itself? During today’s initial fitting he never hooked it up other than plugging it in and pairing it to the aids in the Target program quickly. I like how it handles multiple bluetooth sources, the Oticon streamer could only reliably use one connected at a time.

No, it’s a setting in the Bluetooth audio programs on the hearing aid. The hearing aid uses those programs when streaming.

I am taking this to my audiologist who has not figured this out and I sure hope she can do it! I have been very unhappy with my Compilot for this very reason.

Thanks again Rasmus - can anyone who has had this done by their Audi recommend a good setting? I’m thinking as low as it can go.

It can go as low as -30 dB or you can just de-select “Enable microphone” and the mic will be totally off.

Thanks to rasmus_braun’s helpful advice I had the audi de-select the enable microphone option, which turns off the mic’s when i’m streaming bluetooth music from my phone. works great. But strangely this option is not working for phone calls (connected to cellphone or computer for voip). It turns the hearing mic’s on when i make a call. Even if I’m streaming music and make a call it turns them on. Is there a way to turn off the mic’s in this case also? Maybe a particular set of button presses on the compilot? or maybe at the least turn the aid mics down to -30db in that case? I hope it’s possible to adjust the HPF/HSP profiles to match whats working during A2DP streaming.

EDIT: I think i’ve found the answer in an old thread, my audi has to set up a program for “Mobile Phone + mic” and then turn off the mic’s in it, like we did for streaming audio.

Just to close this up, the audi did adjust the streaming and now the aid’s mics are off when I take a call via ComPilot. The only real issue now is that I can hear my own voice through the ComPilot, but with a few milisecond delay… I’m learning to try to tune my voice out.

I have to say though compared to my Oticon streamer, the call quality seems “tinny” over VOIP or via cellphone. I didn’t see any options in the audi’s program to adjust that, so I probably just have to get used to it. I’d really like to turn off the woman’s voice as well, so it just beeps. Anyone know where this option is? My audi is well meaning but doesn’t seem to have the knowledge, but is at least very open to clicking through menus for me to find the options.

The sound of your own voice during phone calls can be turned off, increased, or decreased. It’s under Phone settings on the Device options screen. There’s also a setting to select Beeps instead of VoiceAlerts. The sound quality can be adjusted by changing the frequency response of the Bluetooth phone program. Increase the gain for lows, decrease the gain for highs, etc. You’ll have to experiment until you get it right.

Hello I’m new here. Using compilot with phonak cassia and having this same problem with hearing my own voice and background noise while making or receiving a phone call. I might and I hope I am, be wrong but it seems most or possibly all of this noise is coming from the compilot’s mics themselves although the diagram on p21 of the user guide seems to suggest that I should only be receiving the caller’s voice in the hearing aids.
I’ll be seeing my audiologist again in 3 days and he hopes to correct this problem. I’ll try to give an account of what he says after that.
Meanwhile I’ve tried turning the phone volume up and encountered a problem there too which I’ll describe later.
Hope all this makes sense.

b3boy, I hope your audi set you up right already. Rasmus’s helpful info was right on the nose. With his info I was able to get the hearing aid mic’s turned off when i’m streaming music from my phone or when i’m taking a call on it. The noise you’re hearing is very likely the aid’s microphones, for some reason they default to remaining on (maybe lawyers are to blame…). I hear very little external sound that isn’t my voice through the ComPilot’s microphones when i’m on a call. This helps my comprehension massively because i’m able to focus on the caller’s voice alone with both ears, which is helpful as i’m profoundly HoH.

All of these settings can only be done by the audiologist using the phonak software for fitting the aids by the way. You can even turn down the amount of your own voice you hear fed back through your ears, or turn it off entirely. I have mine set to -6DB and i’m happy with that amount.

I had this problem too but this thread was helpful. I’m a DIYer and this led me to where I need to turn the microphones off in the software. Much better now. Thanks.

1 Like