Phonak Compilot II performance

Hi first time posting here. I have severe to profound hearing loss and just changed from oticon to Phonak Naida hearing aids.

I’m liking the hearing aids so far but what I’m most definitely not liking is the compilot, especially compared with the Oticon streamer.

The main thing I don’t like is that with the oticon streamer I had 2 settings for calls / listening to music;
1 - I could still hear background noise as audio streamed
2 - background noise would be blocked out as I streamed.

I asked the audiologist to create these programs on the compilot but to my surprise she said only 1 program could be set on the compilot. Considering Oticon have had this functionality for the last 5 years I find it hard to believe Compilot haven’t built it in. Can anyone on here confirm if thats actually true?

Other issues I’m having with compilot are;
1 - Rustling noises coming through the microphone
2 - A delay in the program kicking in after I answer the phone meaning i always miss the first thing people say
3 - My voice sounding really echoey / stereo-ey to myself (not the person on the other end).

Has anyone else had similar issues? I like the hearing aids but the lacklustre performance of the Compilot is enough to make me consider trialling other hearing aids as I don’t really want to put up with it for the next 6 years or so.

Also is it possible to pair another streaming device with the phonak hearing aids? Long shot I know!

Sorry for bombarding you with all these questions!

Thanks!

Ben

Yes, (excuse the formatting, the site kept changing my numbers)
One: Is more pronounced when the ComPilot II is worn under your clothing.There is a silcone cover that I have not tried.
Three: Knowing the person on the other end does not hear it, you sort of get used to it. But it is annoying.
Four: I’ll add to your list. There is a delay while using the TVlink with the TV speakers on causing an echo/harmonic.

Can you please expand on this?

You’ll have to let us know what you decide Ben, whether you go for different hearing aids.

I’m having a hard time discriminating the synthetic voice in both the ComPilot II and ComPilot Air II. To me the ComPilot On and ComPilot Off both sound like ComPilot Off. Is it just me?

Thanks for getting back to me.

With the 4 streaming programs I meant for say bluetooth audio I want 2 settings (One with background noise and one without it). Same for phone. I just don’t get why they wouldn’t have a default setting that eliminates background noise like using the T-switch on a landline, especially when my 5 year old oticon streamer does. I can barely hear on the phone if I’m outside

As for Compilot voice I can hear it pretty well though sometimes I don’t hear it because it catches me by surprise and I’m not paying attention. Its a tad weird having a voice talking into my head like that ha!

When you’re streaming, the hearing aid microphones are automatically reduced by -6 dB. You can press the volume down button on the ComPilot for two seconds to get another -12 dB reduction, for a total of -18 dB. If that’s not sufficient, your hearing professional can increase the reduction up to -30 dB.

Thanks for the tip on how to turn the mics down while streaming - I’ll give it a try.
On Edit:
Is that a per streaming session setting? Will adjusting the volume up or down afterwards after muting the mikes via the ComPilot or HAs have any effect? What about adjusting the volume via the TVLink II?

It also works when you’re not streaming. Volume buttons continue to function normally. You can use the TVLink volume control in conjunction with the ComPilot.

I can’t thank you enough @rasmus_braun !!!
I’m 1+ hours into a live streaming Neal Young concert being broadcast from Omemee Ontario here in Canada on CTV.ca

There is no way I would be able to enjoy it as much as I am without your suggestions… Now back to the concert.

“3 - My voice sounding really echoey / stereo-ey to myself (not the person on the other end)”

Same problem here. Echo is so bad on phone calls that I had to turn off compilot ll during a conference call and go to speaker phone.

When I went back to my old Hearing aids with Compilot l (not ll), the echo disappeared.

If I had known before buying would never have gotten phonaks with Compilot ll. I would love to find out there is a program setting to correct this but none of audiologists I have talked to seem to know how to fix problem

Your audi can program the ComPilot to reduce or turn off the sound of your own voice during phone calls. The option is located in the Advanced settings portion of the ComPilot configuration.

Tried turning down hearing aid mikes during phone call (by pressing - button on compilot 2) and echo mostly disappears.

This is really mickey mouse. Have to manually turn down Compilot when call comes in? Compilot 2 implementation is awful. Grrrrr

The USER controls for changing volume of background sound are described in section 8 of this phonak manual

“Your audi can program the ComPilot to reduce or turn off the sound of your own voice during phone calls. The option is located in the Advanced settings portion of the ComPilot configuration.“

Thanks! Looks like its back to audi for fourth time. The phonak V90-p aids are superb, but the implementation of compilot 2 is awful. Had none of these problems with compilot 1. Maybe solution is to tell audi “make it like compilot 1”. Grrrr (again)

I have compilot ll and hate it. Compilot l worked fine. Trying to document the problems now to figure out why its such a pain. It flat out doesnt work on phone calls. Very high background noise.

I’m trying to do the same. Got both the ComPilot II and ComPilot Air II. I’ve trying to determine the differences in connections between the TVLink II, a Bluetooth land line, and 2 different cell phones via Bluetooth. The one thing in common is the left hearing aid cuts out 1st. So I’m thinking there is a problem with the HA itself.

Can anybody explain how the connection works between the Hearing Aids and both the ComPilot II and ComPilot Air II?

The last week or so I’ve been using the ComPilot Air II with only the phones since the landline automatically connects whenever the streamer it is connected to is on. This is so I can check the ComPilot II with the TVLink II without extra Bluetooth connections possibly messing things up. What I do notice is a good 10-12 seconds of static connection when I first turn on the TVLink II and that is with a clear 10 - 15’ direct sight line between them.

Have not tried Air but have seen many posts saying it is flaky. Sensitive to positioning.