Phonak Breakthrough

Not getting hopes up, but this looks good:

https://www.phonakpro.com/com/en/about-phonak/press-center/2018/2018-february-6-groundbreaking-microphone-technology.html

2 Likes

I wonder if this would replace the Roger system or whether this would only work with the Phonak Naida Link UP along with an AB Naida CI?!

I don’t think it would replace it. The Roger system is based on bluetooth, or Phonak’s communication standard, so I don’t think that would change. Whether you would still use Roger I guess would depend on how good the new microphones are. If they are as good as claimed, then perhaps Roger would not be required. On the other hand, Roger is used for different reasons, including handing it to a remote speaker, so I think in those situations in would still be useful.

The Roger system is not based on Bluetooth, I’m not sure how it works but I know it’s not Bluetooth.

1 Like

Yes, I did say above, or Phonak’s communication standard. I couldn’t remember exactly. I’ve just looked at the Phonak site, it says below:

Q: How is Roger technology different than Bluetooth technology?
A: Roger is an adaptive digital wireless transmission technology standard developed by Phonak, which runs on the 2.4 GHz band.

Roger features:

Low delay for effective face-to-face communication.
Reliable long-range broadcast towards miniature, low-power receivers.

While Bluetooth operates on the same frequency band as Roger, it uses a different protocol and is therefore not compatible. It also differs in the following additional ways:

Bluetooth technology consumes significantly more power than Roger at the receiver level.
The number of Bluetooth receivers (e.g. headphones or handsfree kit) is limited to three, whereas a Roger system allows broadcasting to an unlimited number of receivers.
The audio delay of a Bluetooth system is much higher than that of a Roger system.

1 Like

Yes you did, my bad.

I’ll be watching with interest in this new technology.

Sound transmission is outside the human ear. It is modulated at an established frequency. Here it is 2.8 GHz. But just how is subject to the technique used at that frequency which is then demodulated to hearing frequencies.
AM Amplitude modulation
FM Frequency modulation
FSK Frequency Shift modulation.

Bluetooth is actually GFSK where a Gaussian filter help keep the signal clean.

2.8GHz is just a frequency on which governments allow unregistered transmissions. aka Open Frequency. It can carry anything – sound and data. There are any number of things around the house that use the frequency like garage door openers, WiFi and wireless telephones. BT is just another one using GFSK.

Fortunately, it is something that we can mostly ignore.