Phonak Audeo YES IX Issues

Has anyone found a solution to any of the following issues I have encountered with the Phonak Audeo YES IX?

1. Oscillation of voices, music and certain steady tones (elevator floor chimes, microwave signals, etc.). It sounds like how we used to talk into an electric fan as children for grins; it sounded funny because the sound would vibrate or warble as it bounced off the moving fan blades. My audiologist called Phonak service rep who was stumped. After three visits, same results. Suspect it has something to do with the anti-feedback circuit, but that is only a guess.

2. Telephone sound level through the Blue Tooth iCom. The sound level is too low and the hearing aids are still amplifying the room noise. (The sound quality is also very poor compared to Oticon Dual XW.)

3. Blue Tooth iCom links beautifully with cell phone, but then loses the link if wearer gets near another Blue Tooth source, such as the wearer’s car, laptop, etc.

4. Batteries falling out of hearing aids when door opens (or remaining in battery contacts and draining battery in 2 or 3 days).

5. Music mode boosting treble excessively.

6. One or the other hearing aid turning off for no apparent reason (but working fine after re-booting by opening and closing battery door).

7. MyPilot unable to determine hearing aid battery status for one or both hearing aids (until hearing aid reboot).

8. MyPilot and iCom not charging off of standard mini-USB transformers (just like that darn Motorola V3).

9. Excessive low frequency “pumping” in the “comfort in noise” setting.

My audiologist is wonderful, but she hasn’t been able to overcome these issues. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Answers below:

1. Oscillation of voices, music and certain steady tones (elevator floor chimes, microwave signals, etc.). It sounds like how we used to talk into an electric fan as children for grins; it sounded funny because the sound would vibrate or warble as it bounced off the moving fan blades. My audiologist called Phonak service rep who was stumped. After three visits, same results. Suspect it has something to do with the anti-feedback circuit, but that is only a guess.
    >> Typical feedback circuit issue.

2. Telephone sound level through the Blue Tooth iCom. The sound level is too low and the hearing aids are still amplifying the room noise. (The sound quality is also very poor compared to Oticon Dual XW.)
    >> BT mixer not adjusted properly - the defaults are unusable.

3. Blue Tooth iCom links beautifully with cell phone, but then loses the link if wearer gets near another Blue Tooth source, such as the wearer’s car, laptop, etc.
    >> Dunno.

4. Batteries falling out of hearing aids when door opens (or remaining in battery contacts and draining battery in 2 or 3 days).
    >> Err … umm … that’s life …

5. Music mode boosting treble excessively.
    >> So reduce the treble a tad via the fitting software.

6. One or the other hearing aid turning off for no apparent reason (but working fine after re-booting by opening and closing battery door).
    >> Possibly grease on the plastic door edge, cutting of oxygen.

7. MyPilot unable to determine hearing aid battery status for one or both hearing aids (until hearing aid reboot).
    >> Needs to be VERY close to your nose!

8. MyPilot and iCom not charging off of standard mini-USB transformers (just like that darn Motorola V3).
    >> Did Phonak suggest that they would??

9. Excessive low frequency “pumping” in the “comfort in noise” setting.
    >> How did you determine this symptom?

My audiologist is wonderful, but she hasn’t been able to overcome these issues. Any help would be appreciated.
>> Some aren’t issues. Others can be fixed by an experienced dispenser.

Thanks.
>> No problem.

EnglishDispenser:

Thanks for the help. Is “oscillation” the correct term to describe the “talking-into-the-fan” sound? The Phonak rep didn’t seem to understand the analogy or issue. Any suggestions for my audiologist to explore to fix the problem?

I knew that the batteries need oxygen to be activated, but didn’t realize that they needed more oxygen once activated. For example, the three HA batteries in my pocket flashlight are stacked in a sealed waterproof chamber. Seems like the middle battery wouldn’t get any oxygen on an ongoing basis, but they work fine. Audiologist thinks the HAs might have defective wiring, battery connectors or something else. Would it be a waste of time to exchange them?

Thanks again.

The feedback effect is called ‘entrainment’ … and should be well known to any dispenser.

See: http://www.hearingreview.com/issues/articles/2006-07_29.asp

Most of these problems were posted before…
But why can no-one solve the first problem? -> Oscillation, distortion

What does a “typical feedback circuit issue” mean?

This is one of the issues that still remained after changing the ear-domes (from rubber tips to custom-made shells).

There are two ways to fix that. One is to use a program where the feedback phase inverter (whistleblock) is set off. Another one is to use the music program.

Kind regards,

Leia

For question 1. I had the same issue. A top phonak tech told me to lower the Global Compresson to 70% in steps and raise the Soft Sounds (TK) to approx. 30/35

It worked and I do not hear the strange talking through a fan sound. Good description by the way. David

David (dreganism):

Thanks for the help. I will pass along your information to my audiologist. I noticed the same effect (to a lesser extent) with the Oticon Dual WX hearing aids that I tried. Guess they use a similar phase inverter feedback reduction system.

Leia:

Thanks for the music program idea. I will give it a try.

English Dispenser:

Thanks for your help too. Now have a more technical term to call the effect. Guess I was spoiled with the battery/door design on the Oticon Dual. It retains the battery with the door open. Very clever design. Makes life easier.

Went to the audi today. My audi also thought to fix it by turning off the whistleblock, but when I smiled it already whistled, so it was not an option. Then she called Phonak how to handle this issue. It turns out that you can change the level/configuration of the whistleblock. U have light, medium strong, strong, etc (translated from Dutch, don’t know the exact terms in English). It’s switched to Light now and I discovered just now that there are no distorted sounds anymore! I hope this issue is fixed now (for me at least).