Phonak Audeo V90-312's

Hi all

I have just introduced myself and raised a few generic questions here: -

My audiologist has recommended the above aids for my hearing loss, which he describes as Complex sensorineural hearing loss. Basically I am unable to distinguish higher frequency sounds, speech etc. The figures in my signature are the results of my hearing assessment last Thursday and show a quite dramtic tail-off from 1 -2k.

Never having any experience my research has brought me to the same conclusion as my audiologist that these aids are probably the best I could obtain but have a few questions please: -

• I understand they can be programmed in specific ways for particular environments but would need a ComPilotII to do this properly and easily and via my android S7 Edge. Is this correct? How does the audiologist set them up initially and without the ComPilotII, is there no other means to program them, other than seeing the audiologist? In the area where I live in the UK audiologists are hard to come by and don't work Saturdays. I am purchasing through Boots the Chemist (through their hearing Francise).
  • I take showers frequently and understand the life of the aids is dramtically reduced if they get wet. My concern isn't that I must take them out pre-shower but post-shower. I hate the concept of ear plugs (I have been assured I can actually live with the aids as the piece that goes into the ear is perforated) but drying my ears after a shower is particularly difficult for me. May I ask what experienced aid users do and what their experiences are please?
  • As an Audiophile and Techy are these aids going to transform my life? A bold question, I know. I was overwhelmed with the results of the Hearing assessment when I heard pieces of music through some aids he fitted but am concerned about the kick-backs after 6k - see earlier thread above. Really am confused about upper frequencies and how my ears will percieve music with the aids, relative to without. I mean am I going to hear music at "MP3 quality" or "lossless quality" - I know too well what volume, equalisers and tone controls do - do these aids tinker with the quality of music, which may detract from the overall quality, just so I can hear better - just how do these small gadgets work?

There may be other questions but these will do for the time being - I really need to make a decision on these aids in the next couple of days. Cost - £3200 + CompilotII (or Air version if I can be convinced there will be no cut-offs).

Thank you in anticipation of your help and advice to an absolute novice, you responses will be invaluble to me.

roz

Hearing aids are programmed, with special software, by the audiologist using either a direct connection cable or a wireless device a bit like the Compilot. There are quite a few steps to this process. Just ask them to explain what they are doing as they go if you are interested. Make sure they do real ear measurements to allow for how the aids perform in your ear canals.

The app does not program the aids. It allows you to adjust volume, manual program choice and gives you a limited range of adjustments like treble/base mix. I don’t use it because it requires the streamer which I find too clunky/obtrusive. Most people who tried them seemed to prefer the CompliotII over the Air version due to problems with proximity required for connection to the HAs. Most HAs these days do a very good job of choosing the right program automatically.

You need to remove hearing aids to shower. If they get wet accidentally then they need to be dried and batteries changed. I wait until my hair is fairly dry before wearing them. If you are worried about wet ear canals you could use a shower cap between hair washes or try not to deliberately get water in your ears but it is not likely to be a huge problem.

Hearing aids are optimized for hearing speech. Even the ones which do output higher frequencies do not do it as well as they do for speech frequencies. They are not made to do so. You have to remember they are tiny little speakers sitting in your ear canals. I think you need to do a lot of reading, on the forum is a good start, to temper your expectations and learn about issues like occlusion and different types of domes/ear molds. I listen to live music with mine and their performance is very good. There are threads by music-lovers and musicians also. The audiologist can adjust lots of the settings and parameters so it can be a complex path to the best solution.

Your loss is a standard type of high frequency loss associated with age so you should be able to get good results with HAs. Whether you consider it life-transforming or not is up to you. If you were impressed with your quick trial you should be able to find a solution you are happy with. Just remember that what you are used to hearing is not normal. When you start to hear all those high frequencies again everything will sound tinny and lots of sounds will drive you crazy sounding too loud. This is a sign the aids are working. The audiologist can turn them down if you are too overwhelmed but you will need to persevere to get the best out of any aids.

Did they test your speech comprehension? Good results in this help you achieve best results with HAs.

My best advise is keep reading and learning. Good luck.

Thank you for your helpful reponse - much appreciated. Yes I’m finding a lot of reading and getting into the concept of HA’s slowly but surely. When I say Overwhelmed I meant that the level/quality of hearing improvement was massive. It nearly made me cry because I was suddenly hearing stuff that I haven’t heard for a very long time. Yes the Audiologist tested speech comprehension quite thoroughly - it was this that took me in to see him in the first place.

Your response has answered most things - just one thing left :slight_smile: - given my hearing graphs, can you confirm as far as you can that the Phonak Audeo V90-312’s are about as good as I can get at this point in time?

My understanding is that the Audeo V90-312’s are still the top of the line Phonak’s. At least they were when I got mine last year. I think they’re great. I do go to concerts quite frequently but I notice the audience sounds more with the hearing aids than I should. Music itself sounds fine though. Good luck!

Just going to add my two cents here

rozel I so related to your post - and especially the crying when I finally heard sounds I hadn’t heard for a long time

I too am an audiophile and techie and recently ( last year) suddenly lost hearing in both ears

this forum saved my hearing life and the above extremely helpful post from Psoptera is a perfect example of the info I received - they are great here

i recently went through ( last couple of weeks- search my posts ) a bit of a dilemma with having to upgrade my v70s to v90s - luckily for me Phonak and my Audi stepped up to the plate and allowed me to successfully "trade up " because of my degradation in hearing loss ( they rarely if ever do this)

long story short -invest in the v90s - had I of known a year ago the difference in quality I would have bought them then instead of the v70s

purchase them - you won’t regret it ( sadly the wallet might but you will be able to hear that “cha-Ching”)

Lerosia

I have that brand and model. I am very happy with them. I see no reason why they should not work for your audiogram. But different brands process sounds and design programs slightly differently and some people prefer one over the other. There really isn’t an objective way to judge what you will prefer. You have to try them to see if you like them.

you claimed to have done the research but I don’t think you did.

DD peddling the Signia (it is a capitalized proper noun DD) again.

What happened did Widex fire you?

RodeoGeorge

Another classic DD arrogant, condescending, and manipulative post.
Dementia awaits those who purchase hearing aid models other than those DD has personally endorsed.

Your post made me laugh :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I read your thread about trading up to the V90’s and am pleased they saw sense. I am not covered by Insurance here in the UK so I need to part with my cash very carefully and Boots seem to offer the best quality aids against pricing. They will return them and any other equipment I may buy within the first 60 days and guarantee the aids for 5 years. That is on top of the Aftercare and follow ups, completely free. Obviously I could buy different aids but these were the ones recommended by the Audiologist - they do sell other brands. So I am not just diving in as has been suggested, I’m simply researching to get other ideas etc to ensure that I’m doing the right thing. As far as I can tell these aids will do everything I need my main issue was why all aids seem to top out at between 8 and 10/12k - this has been answered.

How are you getting on with the V90’s? How do you find them listening to music / live theatre/concerts etc? I would be interested to learn.

roz

Hi
I´ve also answered in your other thread.

“As good as it gets”: Aids are different, and different people need different aids. I personally didn´t like the phonak audeo v90. They didn´t improve my speech understanding, the noise-reduction reduced speech, too, and the autofocus didn´t focus on the speaker. But I don´t doubt that the V90 are great aids for people that like them.

If you want to be more sure to get the best for you, I´d try the top-aids of

oticon
siemens (sivantos)
widex
phonak

and, if music is so important for you, Bernafon (which is what I have).

After (!) getting used to the aids (your brain must adjust to the aids as the “new normal”), music will sound much better for you than now, even though you don´t hear much above 8k.

But, to be honest, you will still hear a lot worse than a teenager. There´s no way back to 100 dB dynamic range with 20 kHz frequency range - and yes, I´m sad about that, too.

I know it is a big step, and somewhat unknown at this point. Hearing Aids are intended to help you understand speech better, and if they help with music enjoyment, then all the better. No one can really tell you how your experience will be. Some people really love one particular brand while others despise that same brand. Hearing Aid sales usually come with a return period, where you can return them and get your money back. This is normal and hearing aids are returned all the time. Just make sure you know the details of the return period and try them. Keep in mind that it takes your brain a while to get used to them. Sometimes I think people return a pair and try another brand and end up keeping those, just because their brain had begun to get comfortable with the new sounds. In other words, the second set was not really better, the brain was just more ready by then.

There is unfortunately no one set of aids that is best for everyone with high frequency hearing loss. Fortunately there are high end aids which are very good from the big six manufacturers. Each audiologist tends to have a favorite brand based on features, price, manufacturer support and their personal results programming for real patients. Every patient also tends to have preferences. One may dislike a particular brand when others swear by that brand. That is why there are so many trials for HAs. The V90s are high end aids and if programmed well should give good results but everyone is different. You also may get a good result with a different brand. It is the result that matters. You will slowly become more discerning about assessing what you are hearing after you have been wearing them for a while but that will not be the case at first. Take note of anything you mishear with the HAs or could not understand and tell your audiologist so that any issues can be addressed with programing.

I understand your wish for a simple answer to the best aid possible but unfortunately there is just not one answer. Good luck. I hope you find the best solution for you.

Hello, Don, you’re post interests me because you have similar top end loss to me and I’m trying to upgrade my old aids. I notice you use Resound. Can I ask what you have used in the past and what you have tried because I am at a loss when it comes to all the jargon, and audiologists in Australia are simply flogging commissioned product now regardless of the client’s best interests. Sadly these forums are invaluable because audiologists have no interest in actually giving you comparative product advice.

I have been recommended Phonak V90 and at AU$11,500 and $500 each time I even think about trying an alternative, this is frustrating. This is the third audiologist I have seen and once again, regardless of their web site stating they are impartial, it is actually a load of b@ll@cks.

Any advice is received with thanks. My graph starts at 40 and ends at 110, not much difference between each ear.

Many thanks.

$500 to trial an aid seems very expensive even for Australia. Should be more like $300 and preferably only if you do not buy an aid from them at all. Have you tried any of the groups owned by ENTs as they tend to supply a wide range of aids from different manufacturers. Ask them if the audiologists are paid by commission? Hopefully find one where the answer is no.