Phonak Audeo S SMART V

Has any other user of these aids experienced any kind of ‘trill’ sensation to the sounds you’re hearing? i.e. particularly on higher frequencies…e.g. radio in background,kettle boiling etc…

You could be close to the feedback limits.

Google ‘entrainment’ or see http://hearinglosshelp.com/weblog/entrainment%E2%80%94whats-that.php

Thanks for the reply…I’ll raise this with my dispenser.

I have had the same HA for 9 months (my first).   It might help readers, here, to give more insight if you posted your "numbers".    I don't know what you mean by a "trill".  It did take me a while to get used to some "new" sounds - like rattling newspaper, running water and deep background noise - like traffic 5 stories down.   
 Mine are designed as "open fit" to let the low freq. pass right thru.    It took me about a month for my brain to adjust to new sounds and shut out what I called "misc. background noise".

…mike

I spoke with my dispenser (at Ormerod)…he hadn’t come across the term ‘entrainment’…or even previously dealt with the issue himself. Nonetheless,he’s taken advice from his technical people (and described the issue back to me as one of the aids ‘creating’ additional noise,only audible to me as the aid wearer…so I know he has correctly understood the problem). He’s adjusted aids to remove feedback settings altogether to create a ‘music’ setting to try out…however,it doesn’t appear to have eliminated the ‘trill’ sensation. Do you have any other suggestions to eliminate it that I might suggest to him? Is it possible the amplifier or speaker component is faulty?

Tautology ;).

Firstly he should have known what was going on, especially when Phonak own such a big chunk of them…that aside:

Secondly: If he hooks you up to a Real Ear Measurement machine, he ought to be able to see the overhang. It looks like a decaying saw-tooth wave which is still present after the stimulus tone is finished.

Thirdly: He ought to start winding down the medium and high input gain at your canal resonance: 3Khz ish - to see if you have a particularly reverberant canal. Soft input sound ought not to be adjusted to preserve speech fidelity if possible.

Fourthly: By all means check if the speaker unit is faulty, via swapout, but if the aid ‘sings’ when it is gripped in your hand, that’s unlikely. Damaged receivers tend to make speech sound like Dalek talk.

Fifthly; have a scan around for an independent dispenser in you area who doesn’t have to ring the mothership to check every time you ask for a small issue to be dealt with.

I am trying out the same HAs and have had them for 4 days. Not sure what ‘trill’ sensation is but have been getting a bit of static while on the auto program. Ususally have in the “facing forward” program and the static is minimal to not detected. Seems that when I am near a fan it happens (car fan on, A/C fan active, etc.). Also notice the occasional high pitched feedback sound very briefly (0.5 sec) mabey once or twice a day although can’t seem to attribute it to any particular thing.

I have had the Audeo S V’s since March. No problems like trills etc.

It did take me a fair amount of time to get used to the new sounds I was hearing. The dogs toe nails on the wood floor would be overwhelming. Now they sound normal. That took about 8 weeks.

I’ve just been fitted with the Naida IX several weeks ago and I’m still trying to get use to the basic hand clapping. You could be experiencing part of Soundrecover? I have notice my ears getting use to the sounds (background fan noise, road noise, etc…). So it is true that it takes time to get adjusted to them.

Audiogram
Left ………Hertz ……Right
70……………250…………70
85……………500…………80
90……………750…………90
95…………1000…………90
95…………2000…………95
110…………4000………90
100…………6000………100
85…………8000…………90

Reception: L=75 - R=75
Discrimin: L=40% - R=40%